LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, I do too. Too damn cold to now. I got this damp water smell that eminates from the vents when the A/C kicks on for defrost and there is heat coming from the heater core....tolerable but not nice.

But, filter needs changing too.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I just changed my filter last night but what I did was add an Activated Carbon Pre-Filter pad to the 3M filter. I'll see if it helps with oders. Sure can't hurt.

On your 2006...you were able to get to the filter easily?

Not sure if the issue having to take apart the whole glove compartment only applied to the 2005 models.

I wish...hate the stench of diesel smoke and the cigarette smokers that always seem to be in front of me.

You have to just close the vent and recirculate the air. I believe the cabin filter is also used for that as well...both cleaning the outside air input and recycled cabin air.

Anybody done this yet on the 2006 or 2007 that can give similar instructions???

No, the 07's aren't THAT much easier. Trust me, I tried taking the pocket for the owner's manual out...check. But that does not allow for feasible access to the filter tray. Sure, you can see it and you can touch it...but to get it out of there, you're gonna warp and twist that sucker....as I started to do that, I pushed it back into place and plan on attacking it when it's warmer and nicer out.

CN: it's looking to mean that the glove compartment comes down in the 07's too.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 1 month later...

Sorry I didn't read the entire 8 pages of this thread. Delete this if it is already there.

I think the retro-fit kit is a free factory recall item. Also, if you get them to send you the recall memo, i think it has instructions on how to get the filter in and out. Although, dimil's pictures are much nicer.

I'm stuck on step 13 on how to get the glovebox clips out. I'm dumb.

If i'm just repeating someone, feel free to delete this.

I was checking to see how bad my cabin filter was and found out there wasn't one inside in my 05 GT. I guess we (Canadians) don't get one to start off with but the service intervals tell me to change it so I assumed it was in there.

Oh well, I managed to loosen things off the glove compartment and not take apart the center console. I can slide out the tray enough to slide a filter cut to size. I bought a furnace filter (20"x20"x1") with a charcoal layer for $20 so that means $5 a filter instead of $60 (probably what they charge here in Canada).

Maybe this is why I can smell wiper fluid and catless exhaust smells so easily.

I missed out on the dealership coupon of $49.95 for filter and installation 4 months ago - so I decided to do it myself today. Allergy season in Sacramento is about a month away and my LGT was un-filtered.

It took me a total of 45 minutes to do the whole thing. Like everyone has said - next time should be a lot faster. I bought the highest quality air filter they had at Lowe's. Since all sizes are the same prize, I took the largest one. I should get at least 6 uses from it.

Thanks to Dimil for the awesome write up. I had my laptop on the driver seat during the tear down.

• 2 weeks later...

7 Undo 3 screws from side trim, open glove box and pull out the side trim (there 3 clips as shown).

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=932&d=1090686255

I'm trying to get the glove box off and I'm stuck on this step. I've unscrewed the 3 screws but only the middle of this panel will budge. Any hints on the bottom and top. Maybe I just need to pull harder.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=932&d=1090686255

I'm trying to get the glove box off and I'm stuck on this step. I've unscrewed the 3 screws but only the middle of this panel will budge. Any hints on the bottom and top. Maybe I just need to pull harder.

The two side trims are snapped in together. I unscrewed the screw on the driver side right by where the parking brake lever is. Then I pulled the passenger trim towards the back of the car.

I have to say, after two weeks with the panel filter, my dash is still dust free. :wub:

I hope you guys checked to make sure your car wasn't installed with the retrofit kit, my 05 came installed with it even though it wasn't on the sticker sheet. If it is already installed, it should only take 5-10 minutes to do.

Haha...trust me, ever since I've had the car (3yrs), I've probably checked and re-checked 10x if there was a retro fit already installed. Just like when you're craving for a late night snack - you keep opening the refrigerator like something has changed from the last time.

Archived