LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

Just did this yesterday and took about 45 minutes

Should have been done 10 years ago but I should finally be able to keep the interior clean. I could never figure out why it was dusty as hell only 2 weeks after cleaining it Inside out :lol:

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that the the original engineers ASSumed that the filter could be accessed by removing the owner's manual pocket. It can't. The late '05-'07 solution with the hole and the curtain was really pretty ghetto.

I just bought the "retrofit kit" for my 2005. It's the hole and curtain, and yes, it indeed is quite a hack job.

I was thinking they'd have replaced them with the 2008 model with the properly molded removable back pane. :spin:

• 7 months later...

Popped my cabin air filter cherry today. It was a pain but not too terrible and I didn't have to pull apart the entire dash, thankfully.

Anyway, the only reason I even thought about doing this is the dealer mentioned it in their notes a few years back when I had the car in for something entirely different. It was dirty as hell and my question is, how did they know? Is there some way to get eyes on the filter to see the condition without pulling the glove box apart? Or did they just assume this based on the age of the car and their records having never done it?

How often should it be changed on average? I live in LA where there's plenty of pollution but not so dusty. I'm thinking once every couple of years but I don't really know.

Popped my cabin air filter cherry today. It was a pain but not too terrible and I didn't have to pull apart the entire dash, thankfully.

Anyway, the only reason I even thought about doing this is the dealer mentioned it in their notes a few years back when I had the car in for something entirely different. It was dirty as hell and my question is, how did they know? Is there some way to get eyes on the filter to see the condition without pulling the glove box apart? Or did they just assume this based on the age of the car and their records having never done it?

How often should it be changed on average? I live in LA where there's plenty of pollution but not so dusty. I'm thinking once every couple of years but I don't really know.

On the average I do it once a year unless we have very high pollen then I change it when needed. Check you OM for Subaru's recommendation.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I had a dealer (different brand) give me a XX-point inspection form that said the engine air filter and cabin air filter both really needed to be changed, and the engine oil was severely low. I had installed new filters purchased from that dealer less than 500 miles previously. I had checked the oil level before taking it in and after getting it back, and it was just at the top of the full line both times. I don't believe dealers on stuff like that.

On the Legacy, with the extensive disassembly that's required to even look at the filter, it's safe to assume they don't look at it just to inspect it. And I'd make them show me the one they took out before believing they'd actually changed it when they say they did.

Archived