LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Doom! Imagine my surprise as I see your name on a different board! (This is Tim, right?)

Yep! Looks like its the same Doom1701 I thought it was! Welcome fellow TiVo and Legacy owner!

Yup, so far I'm the only doom1701 out there (and noboby better take that as an invite to start hogging the name on places I haven't gotten to yet! :D ). I've recognized a few names while perusing the various Subaru boards--glad to see familiar faces!

• 4 weeks later...

I had my Subaru dealer install the cabin filter yesterday. It was their 1st installation on a 2005 Legacy.

The installation went from 6:00pm - 8:25pm (2.5 hrs).

I was charged for 1 hour of labour.

I think the 3M Filtrete filter material is as good or better than Subaru's cabin filter material.

I use the 3M Micro Allergen (red package) material for the basket filter in my home furnace.

Canadian Tire sells the Micro Allergen material in a sheet that's 30" x 60" for $25 CDN.

This would provide at least 21 filters for our cabin air filter.

It's the exact same material used in the DIY on page (1) except its flat.

This is the product:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/government/innovative_solutions/node_GSFNS893K7gs/root_GS3RBW6QFVgv/vroot_31S2JJ7584ge/bgel_GS73HX18NKbl/gvel_77KSFNB0FZgl/command_AbcPageHandler/theme_us_innovativesolutions_3_0

-

• 1 month later...
Spoke with my dealer about the filtration system that was on hold when I bought my car. He now tells me that subaru will not be offering the filtration on any newly built 2005's because of a problem fitting the filter. Can anyone confirm this?

It's not a fitting problem, it's glove compartment problem.

Simply the small shelf in Your glove compartment doesn't line-up with the air polution grill. Normally it supose to work by taking pulling uot the shelf and replacing or instaling the air filter unit.

I just installed like Dimil posted and there is no shortcut - tried it:D .

But it is not so dificult, really, just follow his instruction.

Ofcourse first time might be a bit difficult but when You went thru once it's piece of cake latter.

I bought some miroair filter that was 8 1/4" x 10" (and trim it).

The thing is that it can't be to thick. If it's around 1" thick - should be fine, mine was around 1 1/4" (had to squeezed).

I think if You will got something around 3/4"thick, You can add 1/4 " layer of carbon fillter ( halps with the smells)......

...anyway the difference is visible- no dust on Your dachboard not mension not visible particles that can go to Your lungs.

Good luck:cool:

Do you need to remove the handbrake/console?

It looks like it is a separate piece that could be left in. Maybe it is just my ignorance but just an observation.

It is separate. You have to grab it and try to pull it stright up.

There is white round pin under that's holding the part that is covering cup holders

I checked with my dealer they charged me $97(filter +labor) but later on they gave me a credit cause filter was not avail. Anyway it's not worthy pay 50 or 100 for it.

Took me 45-50 min in a first time . Second should go with less than that:cool:

I received an email from my salesman the other day, telling me that the Legacy air filtration unit is now available, and to quote: "The part number is G3210AG000 and costs about $63. Figure an hour of labor to install it".

For me, an hour of labor sounds like it's worth it to have them do it.

Ron

I received an email from my salesman the other day, telling me that the Legacy air filtration unit is now available, and to quote: "The part number is G3210AG000 and costs about $63. Figure an hour of labor to install it".

For me, an hour of labor sounds like it's worth it to have them do it.

Yeah and it's also avail. thru several websites but cheaper - around $35;)

After reading the thread, my hat's off to dimil for figuring this out.

One question, though:

Did Subaru design, build, and sell cars with a cabin air filter tray, but no filter? Isn't that, well...stupid?

Or did I miss something here?

One question, though:

Did Subaru design, build, and sell cars with a cabin air filter tray, but no filter? Isn't that, well...stupid?

Yes. They intended the cabin air filter to be an option so putting the infrastructure in place on the assembly line makes sense.

There was obviously an issue with the original part number, and whatever issue there was now seems to be corrected with the new part number.

Ron

Yes. They intended the cabin air filter to be an option so putting the infrastructure in place on the assembly line makes sense.

There was obviously an issue with the original part number, and whatever issue there was now seems to be corrected with the new part number.

I understand what you're saying, but it still seems silly to me.

They engineer and install the "infrastructure" for the cabin air filter in all cars, at considerable expense. Then, at the time of sale, offer an optional "cabin air filtration system", which consists of the filter element only, for what I assume would be a considerable cost.

I suppose it was probably the same with my last car...I just didn't know it.

One question, though:

Here is the original "reason" given to dealers as to the status of the air filtration for the 2005 Legacy's:

Planner:FKAT, P/N:G3210AG000, Description:21Z air filter kit Date Placed on Hold:5/10/2004, Date to come off Hold:Approx Sept, Comments:Part is being changed by Fuji. It is currently too time consuming and expensive to install.

Glad I could help to many of you.

Unfortunately I can't comment anything on noise level, It's been too long since I've done this. Maybe someone who done this recently can provide more input on this?

Noise -no difference noticed .... did it last week. Besides filter offered by subaru (in my opinion) is worst then e.g. 3M micro or any other that U can get for $30-35 , not mension that for $30 U can make 8 or 12 filters.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Just did mine tonight (thanks – the pictures in the original posting really helped). I used a layer of active charcoal as well -- hopefully this will remove most of the 'stinky-clutch' issue.

I think the next time I do this I will take a look at cutting a panel out of the back of the glove box using Velcro around the seam to hold it in place. Removing the cutout and the upper slide out compartment should give full access to the filter. It's definitely a design flaw that the filter doesn't align with the upper compartment, since this was the obvious intention of having the upper compartment there and easily removed.

I'm looking forward to some clean air!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I just got that part and put it in. The replacement "door" they give you is a joke. It's just the standard backpanel to the glovebox with a rectangle cut in the back with a piece of black insulated cloth. It isn't exaclty quality work. Thank goodness I used subaru bux and not my own cash.

Anyone know if new '05's are already equipped with this "new" piece?

open your glovebox and look - remove the "owner's manual shelf", and if there's no way of getting the filter out of the housing, yer screwed.

Archived