LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
Hey- thanks for the walkthrough- did this today- kind of a PITA to take it apart, but once you do it, it'll be easier the next time. Got a nice allergy/pollen reduction furnace filter from 3M for 8 bucks- looks like I'll have enough to make 4 filters. 8)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest *Jedimaster*
Damn, this place is becoming the equivalent to scoobymods.com for the legacy.

Nice :)

I was thinking that the other day- can you imagine how it'll be once more mods are available? 8)

forgot to ask...

did you notice your air output to be lower with the filter installed?

Did you mount the filter the right way? (some have and airflow direction)

is your air acutally cleaner? (worth it?)

yes

yes

Hell YES.

It's a family cruiser with extra kick to it in my case. My previous car had cabin air filter and it made quite a difference, and since I have 3 year old in there on daily bases, I say it was very well worth it for an hour of work first time (that's including taking all the picture for this write up). Next time I need to do this it will be 15-20 minutes most), and if updated kit ever comes out I'll just get to make it shorter.

Another reason I had to do this was the carputer project that I have and needed to check the space available to me for this project.

I also noticed that ammount of dust on dashboard went down quite a bit.

When I was at he dealership the other day, the parts guy was telling me that they air filter plan was scrapped by Subaru recently.

Whether or not this is really the case remains to be seen. He was exaggerating about the amount of time it takes to get to the needed area so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but it appears the cabin filter is no longer available for the '05 Legacy/Outback.

When I ordered the car in July, availability was to be in late August. Dealer ordered the filter in late September when I got the car, and also had orders in for other customers. We gort the word the other day that it is no longer offered/available . Sucks.

Ron

I am sure you could find something which is the same size as the OEM one, just because Subaru doesn't make it, doesn't mean that there isn't an aftermarket part to go there....they certainly didn't eliminate the spot for the filter, that would mean re-engineering a bunch of the car. I am sure you can find something. Who has one and what are the dimensions...

I haven't poked around the car to see where it fits, but as I understand, there is some work to install the holder for the filter itself. Even the dealer thought it unusual, since it is pretty much available across the Subaru model line. I drive in dusty conditions, and interior dust has shown up pretty quickly.
Ron

Guest *Jedimaster*
Guys- it's really not that big a deal- just cut a furnace filter to the right size- it's even given in this thread. No need to buy one from a car company :)

Spoke with my dealer about the filtration system that was on hold when I bought my car. He now tells me that subaru will not be offering the filtration on any newly built 2005's because of a problem fitting the filter. Can anyone confirm this?

Spoke with my dealer about the filtration system that was on hold when I bought my car. He now tells me that subaru will not be offering the filtration on any newly built 2005's because of a problem fitting the filter. Can anyone confirm this?

Yep. I mentioned it a few posts back in this thread. Not available.

Ron

Read posts #37 where I told of this a few weeks ago and #38 where rporter told of this last week. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived