LegacyGT.com

what did you hicksta today ?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the early days of racecar (miata), I was overly paranoid about oil burning (because wagon). I checked oil every time I came in from a session. Normally I used a blue towel as the pale yellow redline oil showed up clearly. Except for the one time I came off track with the oil pressure light blinking (a common occurrence as idle pressure is much lower than high rpm pressure). I grabbed the nearest rag (cheap, non-absorbent, red shop rag) and checked the oil. OMG! there's no oil in the engine (dipstick & rag showed no oil).

Yeah, so, at $10/quart, I quickly filled the engine up. I checked the dipstick after every quart. Not quite 4 quarts added. Of course, I made a mess at some point, so headed into the trailer to get the highly absorbent blue towels. While there, i grabbed an extra one to double check the car. Yep, it was overfull.

Not having a clean bucket to dump the oil into and not way to suck it up, I flushed 7 quarts of oil, so I could add 4 back in.

Now we have 2 people check the oil level before deciding to add oil. In 2 years of running the Miata, it has never burned oil.

I bought a legacy once. Biggest love hate relationship since Ricky Ricardo and Lucille Ball

Most of us are in the same boat...I own two of them...Do you know how I feel...You should hear me sometimes when I'm under my wagon...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most of us are in the same boat...I own two of them...Do you know how I feel...You should hear me sometimes when I'm under my wagon...

My 3.0R - Flawless and reliable.

My LGT - Just a matter of time before the next issue. Always on edge.

and what a shame that is. Because nearly everyone who bot a new one once, would buy a new one again.

There might be some learning impairment there, however, if a turbo MT wagon showed up again, I'd be putting money down

My intent for the spec.B was to be my daily driver for my modified Jeep Wrangler. Then I thought to myself, "I'll just go stage 2 and leave it there."

Then a ringland went. Then down the rabbit hole I fell.

I no longer have the Wrangler and bought a DD for my DD. :lol:

I bought a intercooled turbo 6mt sonic hatchback to replace the wagon. A tad smaller and fwd. I just got a recall notice in the mail saying it has overheating problems. Something the wagon took 10 years to develop. Something tells me I'll be driving the wagon soon and selling the sonic.

Sell crappy sonic and daily wagon. Nuff said.

As for my Hicksta moment... About an hour ago I dropped a 10mm socket between the turbo and Uppipe. It somehow founds it's way into the lower heatshield on the header. FML. In process of putting it back together now after the fishing expedition.

Replacing my rear suspension lateral arms and bushings, the upper rear inner lateral link bolt froze in the bushing. Queue angle grinder with cut off wheel to grind the bolt off. Man, let me tell you... That thing was really in there. I shoved the angle grinder in there to cut the bolt off, blindly, since I couldn't get my head, arm, body, etc all in the rear wheel well. I got about halfway through the bolt and removed the grinder to see how I was doing. Not only did I cut halfway through the bolt, but also half way through the rear sub frame and my SPT exhaust system. Oh, and the rubber bushing was on fire too.:spin:

Magnuson, u know of someone doing this before? Am I gonna end up shipping my ecu to Cobb?

I have heard of ecu's getting bricked before but I don't know what the procedure is to unbrick the Ecu. You might contact Cobb and see what they suggest.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Replacing my rear suspension lateral arms and bushings, the upper rear inner lateral link bolt froze in the bushing. Queue angle grinder with cut off wheel to grind the bolt off. Man, let me tell you... That thing was really in there. I shoved the angle grinder in there to cut the bolt off, blindly, since I couldn't get my head, arm, body, etc all in the rear wheel well. I got about halfway through the bolt and removed the grinder to see how I was doing. Not only did I cut halfway through the bolt, but also half way through the rear sub frame and my SPT exhaust system. Oh, and the rubber bushing was on fire too.:spin:

Ummm.....that's not good.

I have a dent on my door from letting my old bmx bike sitting next to it fall on it while getting something behind it.

Previously took apart the drivers side panel off and there was a lot of space inside if I were to hammer out a dent. Took the door panel off for this side having to break the plastic clips only to find no place at all to reach the dent from inside. Looked on the outside of the door to see where the dent was and it wasn't even behind the door panel area. Fml

I once spent about a month on and off trying to isolate and fix a rattling sound from the dash, or maybe the passenger-side A pillar, or maybe the plastic trim at the bottom of the windshield, or maybe... I finally got so pissed off I left the car with a friend who's an ex-Subaru tech for a week while I went on vacation.

Turned out I'd left an 8mm and 10mm wrench on the strut tower while working on something else and they'd fallen into the back of the fender the first time the car moved. Now I'm working on a 'tools-on-a-string' idea for the old and forgetful. I'll retire on that.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I once spent about a month on and off trying to isolate and fix a rattling sound from the dash, or maybe the passenger-side A pillar, or maybe the plastic trim at the bottom of the windshield, or maybe... I finally got so pissed off I left the car with a friend who's an ex-Subaru tech for a week while I went on vacation.

Turned out I'd left an 8mm and 10mm wrench on the strut tower while working on something else and they'd fallen into the back of the fender the first time the car moved. Now I'm working on a 'tools-on-a-string' idea for the old and forgetful. I'll retire on that.

Maybe start with just the bifocals on a string and see how people react?