LegacyGT.com

what did you hicksta today ?

Let me bump this thread :).

Meant to post that I hicksta my clutch/flywheel install a few months ago: I used red locktite on both the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. No issue right now of course, but once I will have to remove these, it will sure be a pain in the behind :mad:.

Realized this while watching a hotrod garage episode and hear 'Lucky' said to avoid it like the plague. Then I was like DOH!

Might depend on the brand you used if it's going to be tough:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9vJT60SKvE]Which "Red" Threadlocker is Best? Let's find out! - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installing STI pinks on my brother's 07 spec.b with low mileage Bilstein HDs and I thought the strut rod took a star bit when it was actually hex.I ended up stripping the rod and having to buy him a new strut.

I just run those off with an impact. If you don't feel like jackassing it all the way off a loaded strut, just bump it to the point where the nylon on the locknut is clear of the threads and they'll spin off once unloaded, or at the very least you can counterhold the strut with your bare hand at that point.

Never used a hex bit to counterhold or spin the strut rod while counterholding the nut.

One more hicksta....

The clip that holds the clutch fork tight to the pivot ball, I am pretty sure I installed it backwards. How could I fix that you may ask? Well, I JUST have to seperate the trans from the engine. That's all :mad:

Fortunately, the fork stays in place fine. Just rattles a bit under high load and low rpm.

One more hicksta....

The clip that holds the clutch fork tight to the pivot ball, I am pretty sure I installed it backwards. How could I fix that you may ask? Well, I JUST have to seperate the trans from the engine. That's all :mad:

Fortunately, the fork stays in place fine. Just rattles a bit under high load and low rpm.

That could be from a lightweight flywheel or even the WRX singlemass. The dual mass flywheel damps that noise.

That could be from a lightweight flywheel or even the WRX singlemass. The dual mass flywheel damps that noise.

Could be. But my 06 has the same set up and does not exhibit that annoying noise I get around 1800-2000 rpm under high load.

I was cutting off my front swaybar endlinks with an angle grinder...and I accidentally cut half-way through the inner tie rod.

D'OH!

• 11 months later...
You're missed too - how did it go with the Buckaro?

Any fresh wild projects?

well 2015 rebuilt my 76 k10 pickup, frame off restoration, got a 87 1 ton body , threw together a 383 stroker engine with vortec heads, megasquirt 5 speed nv4500,

mid 2015 my g/f of 6 years left me ,

early 2016 i quit my engineering job, started a small excavation company.

bought a 2 ton track hoe, made varous attachements for my bobcat .

november 2017 i took a contract in the netherlands for a month, loved it there. met a german girl that has a farm and her father recently passed away.

jan 2018 took on a full time job in the netherlands.

and now in england, for a different company. and looking to moving onto a sail boat. and already have crazy ideas to frank n stien it !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 6 months later...

Late last night I gave up on doing it right just for the sake of slapping this thing back together since my backup vehicle is currently un-driveable. While changing out the lower control arms I snapped the bolt at the ball joint on one side. Since there's nowhere to get a knuckle at 11pm on a saturday night I decided to drill it out and now have a janky-ass looking grade 8 bolt going clean through the knuckle with a nut and washer on the other side. Also ran out of patience and decided to use a cutoff wheel to remove the end link, in the process I cut a nice chunk out of the sway bar too :facepalm:. She's real pretty now...

I should stop touching automobiles after a certain amount of time with no sleep.

well 2015 rebuilt my 76 k10 pickup, frame off restoration, got a 87 1 ton body , threw together a 383 stroker engine with vortec heads, megasquirt 5 speed nv4500,

mid 2015 my g/f of 6 years left me ,

early 2016 i quit my engineering job, started a small excavation company.

bought a 2 ton track hoe, made varous attachements for my bobcat .

november 2017 i took a contract in the netherlands for a month, loved it there. met a german girl that has a farm and her father recently passed away.

jan 2018 took on a full time job in the netherlands.

and now in england, for a different company. and looking to moving onto a sail boat. and already have crazy ideas to frank n stien it !

How did I miss your update 7 month's ago. Hope you find time to stay current on here...miss your antic's, well interesting things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Last week I installed rear lateral links upside down. The arms smashing into the subframe over bumps/dips did not feel nice. Thought I actually had blown shocks and felt like a complete moron once I realized what I did. Fortunately there was no damage and everything's fine after flipping them around.

t9SjGUA.jpg

That's a good one :lol:

Here is another one. Shamed to share it, but I installed new bushings on my front control arms. While doing so, I had to disconnect the swaybar endlinks. Upon reinstalling everything, I connected the endlinks and swaybar wrong: the latter was pointing down. Car drove fine, but noticed 2 weeks later that the swaybar ends were sticking out under the car. That's when I realized I put it wrong. :rolleyes:

Last week I installed rear lateral links upside down. The arms smashing into the subframe over bumps/dips did not feel nice. Thought I actually had blown shocks and felt like a complete moron once I realized what I did. Fortunately there was no damage and everything's fine after flipping them around.

t9SjGUA.jpg

Next time do one side at a time...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Kip and I were putting the brand new whiteline and Cusco bits on the racewagon. We put them all on, torqued it all down, and even wrote the torque values near the fasteners so we could check them easily.

Which was good thing when we saw the steering rack still sitting on the workbench...

Yeah was a real head scratcher for about 15 seconds until I saw the "ear" that was supposed to be sealing the oil port sticking up in the seam between the block/head towards the back of the motor.

Now every time I give my wife crap for doing something dumb, all she says is 'backwards head gasket'.

Edited by awfulwaffle