LegacyGT.com

what did you hicksta today ?

let me just start off saying iv done some pretty stupid shit.

lets see

spent 3 hours trying to get my old 98 gt to start on the standalone, when my dads girlfriend ask if its out of fuel.....look at gauge... well **** me.

was pulling the engine out of my 98 to convert to a 5mt, turns out, when you forget to on bolt the flex plate, the reminds you with a nice slick pool of atf...

DO NOT use propane as co2 gas for a MIG welder....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Those couplers are crap, they blow out all the time. Take the damn things off, and tighten the hose straight onto the IC and TB... no more problems.

BTW, I have the same Perrin TMIC and Turbosmart BPV as you do, and cannot get the BPV hose as far onto the valve spigot as you did. How hard did you pull on that thing to get it all the way on?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Those couplers are crap, they blow out all the time. Take the damn things off, and tighten the hose straight onto the IC and TB... no more problems.

BTW, I have the same Perrin TMIC and Turbosmart BPV as you do, and cannot get the BPV hose as far onto the valve spigot as you did. How hard did you pull on that thing to get it all the way on?

I didn't even realize the end/couplers of that hose were removable. Good tip!

I just went and looked into the various hoses for the BPV. I have a ton of slack, but the previous owner (mr.hicksta) did the install. There is a line from under the intake manifold that tee's out to the BPV and a Zeitronix boost/vacuum pressure sensor. So I suspect hicksta added new hose segments during the install which prevented any slack issues.

I did a PCV replacement and made it through that. I put everything back together, but forgot to connect that last small vacuum hose onto the Blow off Valve.

It started to idle rough, then finally stalled with the common CEL code for leaks. I fully expected that I knocked some hose loose way down inside by the PCV. Thankfully, the first thing I saw was that dangling hose at the BOV.

• 1 year later...
Let's bump this baby back up. Today while fixing an intercooler/turbo connection I happened to notice there wasn't a bolt in the pitch stop at the top of the engine. I guess that can happen when you pull an engine and put it back in from memory and don't take any notes.

We all forget things when doing that major of a job. I didn't tighten the hose clamps on the coolant lines to the turbo.

But I thought you would notice the pitch stop before you install the tmic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh yea, I forgot to tighten the cover plate to the oil pump on my 1970 Duster 340 when I rebuilt the engine back in 1975. Had to drop the oil pan and tighten them up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Didn't feel like dropping the transmission to install my Moore Performance Blast plates so pulled back the carpet on the inside of the car and drilled a small hole in the trans tunnel to put the bolt through from inside the car. Filled the hole with an electrical panel water tight stainless knockout plug, silicone'd it shut, then sprayed undercoating over the top of it.

Did you happen to fill the tops of the square tubes on the plates with RTV so they don't fill with crap ?

Interesting about just drilling holes under the carpet. Your neck isn't red is it ? Sorry I couldn't pass that up.

Did you happen to fill the tops of the square tubes on the plates with RTV so they don't fill with crap ?

Interesting about just drilling holes under the carpet. Your neck isn't red is it ? Sorry I couldn't pass that up.

I didn't fill the tubes. Hind-sight...

My neck isn't red, but my knuckles aren't bruised either! :p If someone were to look under the car, you would never know the difference. It's completely covered and sealed.

• 3 weeks later...
Totally hicksta'd my exhaust today. When I got it I had to bend back a section and it recently cracked. I thought I could go in there with a MIG gun and fix the crack. Then I started it up and it was even worse. Gunna take the exhaust off tomorrow and fix it properly

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• 1 year later...

Let me bump this thread :).

Meant to post that I hicksta my clutch/flywheel install a few months ago: I used red locktite on both the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. No issue right now of course, but once I will have to remove these, it will sure be a pain in the behind :mad:.

Realized this while watching a hotrod garage episode and hear 'Lucky' said to avoid it like the plague. Then I was like DOH!