LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

There's no inputs, RCA or otherwise on any but the new '07 Subaru radios. Does that answer your question?

Best Buy was no doubt planning on using the D&P's built in FM modulator.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yea it was wack..I need to find someone on the island that could install the mod (before I buy it)..I want/need it bad, I'm just afraid to ruin my car..

does anyone know if any of the soundgate products are compatible? don't mean to bust up your post with another product jazz, just wanted to see if anybody has tried anything else..or is this mod the be all end all of ipod integration for the legacy?

IceNine,

I was nervous like you to do the install. But one weekend I took my time, followed the instructions and was very, very careful not to scratch anything. 1.5 hours later, Jazzy board in, and now I am enjoying my music with the iPod. The only trouble I had was unplugging a wire from the back trying to balance the radio at the same time. I got another pair of hands and that was the only help I needed.

don't mean to bust up your post with another product jazz, just wanted to see if anybody has tried anything else..or is this mod the be all end all of ipod integration for the legacy?
No worries. If you want the sound to go through the OEM radio though, it's this, or FM modulators - that's it.

If you want to go aftermarket, you can put in *another* radio (since you can't remove the OEM or you'll loose ACC), or you can use a line out converter (JL Cleansweep, RF 3.sixty) with aftermarket amps.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

thanks dudes..there's just way too many people on here that had no problem with this..it's time to get rid of the itrip

It isn't hard, just a bit frightening to start pulling the car apart! Read the directions a couple of times before you start. Go slow. Like someone said, the strangest and hardest part is getting the face off the radio. It wasn't what I expected. You end up with a circuit board in your hands, yes one side is the face with the display and push buttons, the other side is a circuit board with a set of connectors.

The instructions are pretty much dead on. Just block out 2 hours to do it, you should have enough time for a beer afterward before the 2 hours runs out.

If you get stuck PM a couple of us that have done it. We'll take a phone call to help you.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

My greatest piece of advice is do this in front of the PC. I asked Jazzy to send me a set of high resolution pictures and I believe they are in this thread. I would check the posts in this thread around Christmas and look for his name and 3 files attached. Those high resolution pictures are excellent. You just follow what is on the screen. Hold that sucker like you see it on the screen and so on.

Put a permanent marker to good use. Have one of those trays for ice cubes ready, mark next to each set of screws a number and write into the icecube tray the same number. Deposit the screw in there.

The way I attached the wire inside, along the edge of the frame is - crap I cannot find the picture right now - so I have to describe it...

Basically I took a black zip tie - cut its ends and put it on the circuit board side of the faceplate. Then using tiny zip-ties, i ran them around this ziptie, in thru a hole and looped around the audio cable and tightened. The "knot" is on the inside and there will be just two "knots" firmly keeping the aux audio wire in place. i re-routed it along the wall, attaching it in similar fashion (with tiny zip ties) to one of the exhaust holes...and out thru some removable plastic tab which you can break off.

by the looks of it..you buy the pro kit, then plug this into the ground loop inturrupt.

Probably already asked and answered... too many pages to sift through.

how does one wire iC-RCA?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

by the looks of it..you buy the pro kit, then plug this into the ground loop inturrupt.

To get sound yes. I'm wondering what's the best way to wire it to play AND charge. maybe can't see the power wires in that pic.

I need some help with installing this adapter on an 06 Outback with a 1 CD player (auto trans, manual climate ctrl).

I've taken the screws off of the front of the radio and it's loose but I can't pull it out. All of the wires in the back must be very short because I can't even pull the radio out enough to see where the plugs are (much less pull them out because those plugs are in there very tight).

What do I need to do? I'm at a loss.

The wires aren't short. They're taped together from the factory.

Take a look at the subwoofer installation guide. It instructs you to remove the passenger side panel to gain access to the back. It makes it much easier to cut the tape off the wire bundles.

http://www.thel7.com/Accessory%20Install%20Doc%27s/legacy_subwoofer.pdf

To get sound yes. I'm wondering what's the best way to wire it to play AND charge. maybe can't see the power wires in that pic.

There are red and black power wires with that connector. You can use the power outlet +12V and ground right below the unit.

Note, you can actually end up with two inputs in the vehicle with that. One is the (Hirose(?)) wide iPod connector for line level, the other is the mini jack. The two RCA's are the outputs to the filter or radio.

If you need help I'm just up Hwy 101 in Windsor.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

The wires aren't short. They're taped together from the factory.

Take a look at the subwoofer installation guide. It instructs you to remove the passenger side panel to gain access to the back. It makes it much easier to cut the tape off the wire bundles.

http://www.thel7.com/Accessory%20Install%20Doc%27s/legacy_subwoofer.pdf

Ok, I'll see if I can remove the side-panel but as it stands I can't even see enough of anything to be able to actually do anything. The radio only comes out like two inches before the wires tighten.

EDIT: I cannot get that side-panel off. The diagram in that PDF seems different than what I'm seeing in my Outback. For right now, I put everything back the way it was. I'm either going to need some help with this or I'm going to have to return the modification (if that's even possible).

Anyone in the Seattle area willing to help a guy out?

The cig lighter? I didn't see any other place to wire...

thx

Yup. It isn't PC to call them cigarette lighters anymore since no one smokes. They are power outlet/adapters :lol:

The power adapter has a +12V (the red lead) and a lighted ring (one of those should be ground). Get some inline wire tap splices from Home Despot and attach the power leads there.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I need some help with installing this adapter on an 06 Outback with a 1 CD player (auto trans, manual climate ctrl).

I've taken the screws off of the front of the radio and it's loose but I can't pull it out. All of the wires in the back must be very short because I can't even pull the radio out enough to see where the plugs are (much less pull them out because those plugs are in there very tight).

What do I need to do? I'm at a loss.

I think what might be hangin' you up is the climate control cable. Did you disconnect it? Here's the Metra instructions on how/where to disconnect it.

INST99-8901_Page_3.jpg.b3f5867c41ba71a36a32c535195f880a.jpg

Ok, I'll see if I can remove the side-panel but as it stands I can't even see enough of anything to be able to actually do anything. The radio only comes out like two inches before the wires tighten.

EDIT: I cannot get that side-panel off. The diagram in that PDF seems different than what I'm seeing in my Outback. For right now, I put everything back the way it was. I'm either going to need some help with this or I'm going to have to return the modification (if that's even possible).

Anyone in the Seattle area willing to help a guy out?

I understand what you're going through because this happened to me. The radio only would come out 2 inches.

I would be surprised if the OB is different than the LGT, but it might.

With the armrest moved aft to expose the aft end of the side panel, stop and think about how the side panel is attached. It took me a while because I didn't want to break anything.

Did you remove the bottom panel below the glove box? There are 3 really hard to remove poppits.

In a few days or so, I'll be swapping my radio out again, so I might take some pictures. A lot of people don't have this problem because the dealer has already installed their subwoofer and cut the tape bundling the wires.

Yup. It isn't PC to call them cigarette lighters anymore since no one smokes. They are power outlet/adapters :lol:

The power adapter has a +12V (the red lead) and a lighted ring (one of those should be ground). Get some inline wire tap splices from Home Despot and attach the power leads there.

Sweet, that's what I thought I was going to need to do. Just needed to be sure. Thanks for your help. :)

Here are some pictures of my completed XM/Aux-In install. Had a custom radio shop do it....and once they figured out the interference problem I was having (think they had the GLI connecting through the wrong line), it works VERY nice!

Thanks for all the help along the way to doing this from everyone....

Joe

100_0784.thumb.jpg.2a006713cbf8826e2e0adb119444f0c9.jpg

100_0783.thumb.jpg.15539829715a117462996cfbdaad82db.jpg

100_0782.thumb.jpg.42a57b0412994202d68a9ca7c3d2b01a.jpg

100_0781.thumb.jpg.339a698fc2320710892328dde7fd8b12.jpg

100_0780.thumb.jpg.0557c3e93f77044ffbcfe87e85d1b19f.jpg

100_0778.thumb.jpg.e0fe182e7aa58c0ce1e8ec574caa30b4.jpg

100_0779.thumb.jpg.202a5978c6e8db8268fc6c82b53ba94b.jpg

Here are some pictures of my completed XM/Aux-In install. Had a custom radio shop do it....and once they figured out the interference problem I was having (think they had the GLI connecting through the wrong line), it works VERY nice!
Glad to hear it worked out for you Joe. I knew something with the GLI couldn't be working right, so I'm glad they figured it out. It's tough to diagnose stuff like that over the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
Installed the iPod pro kit last Thursday, and everything went nice and smooth. Stereo was out in under 10 minutes, board was installed in the stereo in about 30 minutes, and the longest amount of time was making sure the wiring was run nicely. Instructions are spot on, and the pictures make it very easy. The most helpful thing for me to have on hand was phillips screw drivers with different size heads for the screws in the stereo itself. Thanks to Jazzy for a great product and a relatively inexprensive option for getting the aux-in solved.