LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Okay - When I first got this installed I had some issues with the alternator buzzing, however was fixed through adding a GLI in the right spot. Since that buzzing has been resolved, I now here another sound, which I believe was being masked by the buzzing from the beginning.

The sound resembles a continuous skipping hiss, almost as if the speakers are picking up the sound of the cd-laser scanning the silent cd.....not sure but just speaking my thoughts on this. You can only start to hear it when the volume gets above 10 or 11 and is really evident when XM is on talk stations or some station that there is some vocal or musical down-time.

The audio-install place that did this for me has been super helpful in resolving this issue and have tried everything they can, to the extent where if they spend more extensive time they will have to charge me. However, they have spent a lot of "free" time on this already and are too unaware of the board to identify if it is that or something else.

So, my questions to you are:

1) should I try creating a new silent cd? if so, how do i do that?

2) have you heard of this noise happening with anyone else?

3) could it be a possibility that my board has some sort of problem with it?

Would appreciate any sort of insight/help with this, as I am bummed out that I have heard such great reviews from everyone and mine is working less than the perfect everyone else has. Also, I know people on this board are very meticulous and keen, as am I, so I am sure that I am not just picking up on something that others just dont.

Thanks.....

Joe

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sound resembles a continuous skipping hiss, almost as if the speakers are picking up the sound of the cd-laser scanning the silent cd.....not sure but just speaking my thoughts on this. You can only start to hear it when the volume gets above 10 or 11 and is really evident when XM is on talk stations or some station that there is some vocal or musical down-time.

Thanks.....

Joe

Joe, it sounds like something is not right in the hookup. I have no such background sounds.

Now, that being said, can you explain your set up a little bit more. Are you running an iPod through the line in? Do you have another device connected to the mini-jack?

Remember that this will allow bleed through if you are listening to AM or FM. e.g. If I play my iPod, and set the radio to AM, I can hear both. Are you getting background noise bleeding though. Without understanding what is connected to the input(s) and what you are listening to, I'm just guessing. Do you have a schematic of "as-installed" that you can scan and put up for someone to look at.

All I have to say is mine is very clean. The sound quality is superb. I've even played MP3's off my Garmin Nuvi via the mini-jack and it sounds fine too.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Joe, it sounds like something is not right in the hookup. I have no such background sounds.

Now, that being said, can you explain your set up a little bit more. Are you running an iPod through the line in? Do you have another device connected to the mini-jack?

Remember that this will allow bleed through if you are listening to AM or FM. e.g. If I play my iPod, and set the radio to AM, I can hear both. Are you getting background noise bleeding though. Without understanding what is connected to the input(s) and what you are listening to, I'm just guessing. Do you have a schematic of "as-installed" that you can scan and put up for someone to look at.

All I have to say is mine is very clean. The sound quality is superb. I've even played MP3's off my Garmin Nuvi via the mini-jack and it sounds fine too.

My primary hookup is an XM Commander. The sound I am hearing does not happen when my IPod is connected. The sound is def. not something coming through AM/FM. The audio place says it's gotta be linked to the battery or "power" connection b/c the IPOD doesnt do it.....? I know there are GLI's connected to get rid of any alternator noise as well.

I did not install the unit so not sure on the scematic of this install, however they said they followed everything from Jazzy's install manual. I probably can get them to sketch something out for me or put something together in a word document and email it.?

Just picked up an 05 OBW XT, our first, and cant wait to install. Thank you, jazzymt, and everyone who's contributed to this effort!

Some questions from a newbie who read the thread but maybe lost track of a few details:

1. I probably prefer to keep the GLI and iPod in the dash cubby above the changer. I noticed a few mentioned this location. Has anyone had problems with heat in that spot?

2. How long is the PAC iPod converter cable? Didnt see the spec on the PAC site.

3. Is it possible to put the GLI, dual RCA coupler, and the PAC converter cable in that cubby and still reach a) 12VDC and b) a ground?

4. Failing that and heading over to the armrest console, if tapping that 12VDC for the iPod, can one still get, say, cell phone power from there with the iPod attached?

Thanks!

-K

Congrats on the '05 XT - that's what I drive! :D

I can try and answer some of your questions:

1) Not sure - although I've heard the light in there is part of the "heat" problem, so taking that out might help.

2) I think the total length is about 6', split about 50/50 with the iPod "single" cable for the dock connector and the power/RCA/stereo connector wires.

3) That's a lot of stuff to cram in the cubby, but I think it would still reach. It sounds like you're going with the pro iPod kit so I would suggest an alternative approach:

Stuff the GLI, couplers and most of the cables behind the radio (there's tons of room). Hardwire the iPod power to the cigarette lighter wires under the radio and only snake the iPod dock cable into the dash cubby...you may only want/need a few inches in there to keep it clean if you're just throwing the iPod in the cubby, but you should have use of the full 3 feet or so of "combined" cable should you need it.

4) Since the iPod cable has only wires, it needs to be spliced into the power wires "behind" the cigarette lighter port, keeping it free for whatever other use you might have for it - the same is true for either/both cigarette/power outlet (dash/armrest).

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

<snip>

1. I probably prefer to keep the GLI and iPod in the dash cubby above the changer. I noticed a few mentioned this location. Has anyone had problems with heat in that spot?

<snip>

Thanks!

-K

Curious why you want to keep the GLI accessible? :confused: It ain't pretty and there isn't any reason to keep it accessible.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

jazzymt & ZinFreak -

Somehow ploughing through the thread I'd gotten it into my head that the GLI was best located as far from the aux-in board as possible. Then, too, there's the notion that if any of those connections (coupler, GLI) need adjustment, they're right there. But I'll stick them behind the radio as you suggest. Taped 'n tidy.

On the power connections, then they're wrapped on the existing lighter -- er, posts? Just trying to picture what that 'splice' is like. (You can tell I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing..)

Thanks,

-K

Well, there are two ways to do it... Hard and easy

Hard - Strip off some insulation from the red and black wires that connect to the lighter. Solder on the power leads from the iPod cable, then wrap with electrical tape.

Easy - Go to Ace, Home Despot, Lowes, etc. and look for inline splice taps. It is like a vampire that will clamp on to the existing wire, teeth will cut the insulation and connect to the wires. I think 18-22 AWG splices should work dandy. They are pretty self-evident in how they work. The through hole goes around the existing wire, the non-through hole takes the wire from the iPod cable. You need two, one for each wire.

I like easy!

jazzymt & ZinFreak -

Somehow ploughing through the thread I'd gotten it into my head that the GLI was best located as far from the aux-in board as possible. Then, too, there's the notion that if any of those connections (coupler, GLI) need adjustment, they're right there. But I'll stick them behind the radio as you suggest. Taped 'n tidy.

On the power connections, then they're wrapped on the existing lighter -- er, posts? Just trying to picture what that 'splice' is like. (You can tell I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing..)

Thanks,

-K

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Thanks, Zin. Easy sounds like the way to go.

On reflection, confronted the fact that any more than a dozen or so screws and I'm a basket case. Have spoken to the local sounds shop and they're happy to put it in for about 1-2 hrs' labor. Will pass along the advice I've gleaned here.

-K

Did this the other night. Had been sitting on it for a while waiting to get short shifter so i could install both while i had things apart. I took lots of time (about 3 hours including trip to radio shack) and had zero problems. The instructions are very good.

Only thing i noticed is that i don't think it's necessary to remove the outside 2 of the 4 screws that are removed from behind where the face plate would be to get the disc changer out. THat probably doesn't make any sense, but it's not important anyway. Even if it's not necessary, it only adds like 15 seconds to the install time, lol.

I didn't bother with the GLI yet. Figured i'd try it out and see if i needed it since apparently some people do not. So far it's fine. I have noticed a couple times some hiss when the music is paused, but not all the time. If it becomes a problem i'll hook up the GLI.

Thanks Jazzy :-)

Installed it last night. Works awesomely. I figured i'd try it without the GLI for now and even while using both cigarette lighter ports (radar detector and cell phone charger) there isn't any noise. Now all I need is a car-charger for my iPod. Thanks Jazzy!

Quick question guys:

I had my board installed for over 9 months and it works great. I used splitter (for Ipod and Sirius), and GLI from radio shack. I don't have any buzzing noise but sound is not quite as loud as when I listen to CD player. I have to set volume to at least 15-20 to hear music comfortably from Ipod or Sirius vs CD player less then 10. Is this common or my GLI is connected wrong?

Any thoughts?

Two questions first:

1) Are you connecting the iPod through the headphone jack, or a line level out provided by a docking connector of some kind?

2) Are your iPod & Sirius units always hooked up at the same time?

I don't think there's any risk of having the RS GLI installed wrong - it is probably a 1:1 winding and can be installed in either direction. What I suspect is that your iPod & Sirius receiver have mismatched impedances & they are drawing eachother's signal down. Have you tried plugging in only one at a time?

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I tried to connect Ipod both ways (headphone jack and line level out) with similar results with headphone jack being little louder.

I always disconnect one source when using the other, since I can hear slight buzzing sound on Ipod when Sirius is plugged in.

So there should be no difference in output level between regular CD and Ipod/Sirius?

Well - it's possible for them to be the same anyway - but it depends on your source. I have heard many reports from Sirius owners that it is lower, although it is easily as loud or louder with my Roady2 (XM).

The line level out on your iPod should also be significantly louder than the headphone jack...what adapter are you using for your iPod?

Hey Guys -

Unfortunately I am still having issues with my aux-in using my XM Commander. I had an audio install place do it, but they have fiddled around with it so much that they said they are going to have to start charging me additional labor costs to keep pulling it apart and figuring out whats going on, since its technically "not their product", which they did disclaim in the beginning.

So - my questions to any of you is, is there anyone in the southern new hampshire area, seacoast, northshore massachusetts, etc. (I live in Exeter, NH) to possibly come help me some afternoon/evening to pull this thing apart and see if we can re-install it and figure out what is causing the buzzing and continuous hiss from my xm radio??? I would REALLY appreciate it....I just do not trust myself enough to attempt it by myself! I would not mind driving to whomever either....

If anyone is interested - please PM me and we can discuss it further. I just want to get the most out of this great feature.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Jazzy,

After reading all the great reviews I just ordered your Ipod pro kit. Do you know of any places on line that have pics of where people located there exit points for clean connections to the I-pod? Cant wait to get it installed.

RipxLGT or Gage

Gage,

I think most people have the iPod cable exit in the armrest cubby - generally they drill a small hole at the bottom, although the available alternatives are countless. Once you have the dash trim apart to take out the radio, you'll have a better idea what your options are and will probably have a good feel for where you want it to go.

Jazzy, got a question about GLI connection with the iPod pro kit. Right now the way it's hooked up is board -> GLI -> patch cable -> iPod line out. Is this the right way to connect the GLI, because I don't think the iPod is charging with this setup. Without the GLI in the loop the iPod's little charging icon comes on but with GLI it's not showing it's charging. But as soon as I remove the GLI from the loop the charging icon comes back up. I tried connecting the GLI in both directions with no luck.

When I first install the kit I didn't put the GLI in the setup because it sounded fine without it. But I found out that once the iPod is done charging I get a buzzing/humming noise. I figure the GLI should fix this problem but now it doesn't seem to be charging anymore. Any idea?

Jazzy, got a question about GLI connection with the iPod pro kit. Right now the way it's hooked up is board -> GLI -> patch cable -> iPod line out. Is this the right way to connect the GLI, because I don't think the iPod is charging with this setup. Without the GLI in the loop the iPod's little charging icon comes on but with GLI it's not showing it's charging. But as soon as I remove the GLI from the loop the charging icon comes back up. I tried connecting the GLI in both directions with no luck.

When I first install the kit I didn't put the GLI in the setup because it sounded fine without it. But I found out that once the iPod is done charging I get a buzzing/humming noise. I figure the GLI should fix this problem but now it doesn't seem to be charging anymore. Any idea?

OK, I think I found out why... From PAC's website the description for the GLI says:

"Great for eliminating ground loop noise from radio pre-amp outputs. Perfect for eliminating DC Current from your RCA cables. Excellent at reducing most noise in your RCA signal path. • Close to perfect response of +/- .03 dB from 20-20kHz. • Unlike other manufactures which use 1:1 transformers, PAC utilizes proprietary audio transformers for a 1.3 dB gain."

:redface: Never claim I was an EE... :lol:

So... Any idea on how I should hook the GLI up to still get the current through to the iPod? Or is there other device I can use instead of the PAC GLI.

Um - there shouldn't be any DC current on the audio for your iPod. The iPod is receiving power through the docking cable...separate from the audio signals.

I think I'm missing part of the picture as to how your iPod is connected. Are you using the cable I supply? How is it connected to power?