LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Jazzy...

Thanks so much for all you've put into this project... You've obviously made a whole lot of people very happy!

I've read through a lot of the responses here (though not all), and I think I'm almost ready to place my order.. But hoping you or someone else could advise on one thing....

I'd like to use a line out as opposed to the headphone jack so I can get a nicer volume. So obviously I'll need some sort of dock for the ipod that plugs into the 12V charger. The Belkin Auto Kit looks appealing to me because of the volume control and the "automatic pause" feature that was noted elsewhere in this thread...

But I also saw many people were having problems with the sound "cutting out" when using the Belkin... Sounds like a heating issue from what I read... Additionally someone said they were able to fix by disconnecting the GLI.. But if I disconnect the GLI, wouldn't I likely hear some background noise? Also, if I disconnected the GLI, does that mean I am forced into connecting via the headphone jack?

I guess the bottom line is that I'm looking for the best possible audio quality I can get with this mod connected to my iPod... In light of that, can someone suggest either a different dock that doesn't have the problems that the Belkin has or recommend a way to mitigate these "cutting out" problems without sactificing audio quality?

Thanks much!

Regards,

- Dave

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can answer at least some of the questions:

1) You can still use the line out without a GLI, you just will get some noise. Some people find it acceptable, some do not.

2) As far as I know, the Belkin dock is the only cable that has this overheating problem. I don't know if any other cable provides the "pause" feature though.

If you're trying to simplify the setup (and reduce costs), there is one other option available to you. You can get a line out adapter and not use a charger, so you don't need a GLI and you get loud, clean audio. Your Ipod will be running on batteries however. Here are some examples of basic line level out adapters:

http://www.sik.com/din.php

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I can answer at least some of the questions:

1) You can still use the line out without a GLI, you just will get some noise. Some people find it acceptable, some do not.

2) As far as I know, the Belkin dock is the only cable that has this overheating problem. I don't know if any other cable provides the "pause" feature though.

Thanks for that, Jazzy.

I think I'm going to have to get the GLI just to be sure...I know any sort of background noise is gonna drive me nuts. :icon_bigg

So sounds like I need to see if there are any comparable products to the Belkin that also offer the "pause" feature (I don't care too much about the volume control feature).. Time to hit I-Lounge and start reading! Or if anyone has any specific suggestions for alternatives, let 'em rip. :icon_wink

Thanks!

- Dave

Okay - just got my Roady XT and am ready to bring it in to the audio shop and show them this board and see what they can do.

However - the more I go back and read this thread and hear about questions like uncled (dave) posts, the more "un-knowledgable" I feel about this aux-in board. Example: the first reason I became interested in this is like most, I wanted to get the best sound quality out of my XM radio as I could (FM mod just isnt good enough). Now, I have been reading and hearing that there is background noise associate with this, its better to use a line out versus the headphone jack that comes with it. I will 90% of the time be utilizing this for my xm radio, however there will be times when I want to hook up my Ipod and listen to that.

So basically, whats the best option for me with this board with not having to deal with background noises and making changes to the board itself. I want to be able to bring this to the install place and tell them exactly what I want/need without them having to do "guesswork" b/c they are unfamiliar with this board.

Let me know your thoughts - thanks!

Joe

Joe,

Your RoadyXM is ready to go and you probably don't even need a GLI for that (I don't have one w/my Roady2 and it sounds perfect). A simple "install kit" will be everything you need for that.

However, if you're going to be occasionally hooking up an Ipod and use a charger, you will want the Pro kit because otherwise you will get noise from the charger.

As I stated to uncled though, if you're only occasionally hooking up the iPod and don't need it to charge while playing, you can get a line-out only setup such as one of the above listed and not worry about the GLI.

The only thing you need a GLI (Pro kits) for is to prevent alternator noise caused by 12V chargers. Normally I would recommend them for sat radio installs too, except I know the Roady is one of the few that doesn't cause noise.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I just want to make sure I have this straight...

The Belkin "pause" feature that's talked about in this thread essentially will power off the iPod when it detects it's not charging (i.e., the engine is shut off)...is that right?

But if you remember to power off the iPod manually yourself *before* shutting off the car engine, won't the iPod pick up where it left off when you turn the engine and iPod back on?

Sorry for being thick headed, just want to make sure I have this right... (i.e., trying to determine just how important this "pause" feature of the Belkin really is)..

Thanks,

- Dave

Jazzy - really appreciate your help clarifying the best options for me. Based on your answers, If I choose the PRO-KIT, that will not only connect to the Roady, but enable me to disconnect the line-out, connect it to Ipod and charge it at the same time? or will the charger be something I purchase (just making the Pro-Kit eliminate the noise that will be associated with it while "charging".)?

Think this should be the end of my "Aux-In for Dummies" posting...

Thanks again,

Joe

...or will the charger be something I purchase (just making the Pro-Kit eliminate the noise that will be associated with it while "charging".)?
Yes. :)

did this mod last week with your "Pro Kit"

instructions were perfect, couldnt believe all that trimming came out so easy...

I have a 5EAT, and I actually only had to remove the chrome trim around the shifter, the main trim with ashtray/cig lighter, and two side panels...

Radio was kinda a bitch to get out alone, didnt want to hurt it or scratch the car...

but after that no problem! works perfectly!

where are people putting their input? i wired it out by the feet of the passenger side

where are people putting their input? i wired it out by the feet of the passenger side

I was wondering this too... and i got to thinking.. where is the input on the 07's? I was at the dealer (they were closed) and i couldn't for the life of me figure out where the input was just by looking in the windows... hmm.. cubby hole?

At one point i was thinking of drilling the face of the radio, and making it look good.. but that's too much effort...

yeah i wanted to put it in the face of the radio, too...

but when you take the radio apart you will see why this is a

HORRIBLE idea.

I was wondering this too... and i got to thinking.. where is the input on the 07's? I was at the dealer (they were closed) and i couldn't for the life of me figure out where the input was just by looking in the windows... hmm.. cubby hole?

At one point i was thinking of drilling the face of the radio, and making it look good.. but that's too much effort...

The ashtray! It actually looks kind of goofy and I don't know if I like the placement so much.

The ashtray! It actually looks kind of goofy and I don't know if I like the placement so much.

Yeah, that's where it is in our new '07 Forester XT. What a stupid place to put it! This must of taken about 3 minutes to think up.

We are about to head off on a multi-day, 1400 mi trip with a new Garmin Nuvi plugged in to that spot for MPEG music and voice directions. We'll see how it does. It certainly isn't clean.

If you are mod happy, I don't see why it can't be relocated to some place sane.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

The auxiliary input is in the center console on the 2007 Legacy and Outback, not the ashtray.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

The auxiliary input is in the center console on the 2007 Legacy and Outback, not the ashtray.

You are correct, I remember reading this now.

'07 Legacy/Outback -> Center console

'07 Forester -> Ashtray :confused:

Why? Why mush they be different? I guess I should not complain, at least the FXT has one. Jazzy's board is going into my Legacy in about 2 weeks, I can't wait.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

You are correct, I remember reading this now.

'07 Legacy/Outback -> Center console

'07 Forester -> Ashtray :confused:

Why? Why mush they be different? I guess I should not complain, at least the FXT has one. Jazzy's board is going into my Legacy in about 2 weeks, I can't wait.

In both cases the aux-in was a tacked on addition; I imagine they just stuck the input wherever was most convenient for them. I'm not familiar with the Forester's center console, maybe there wasn't a good place for it there?

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Actually, I was checking out a 2007 Spec B and I opened the ashtray and there is an auxilary input there with the letters AUX. Maybe they moved it for other models?

Plannin on putting my Roady XT into the dashboard cubby.... anyone know if its possible when you have the radio out to do the aux-in board to drill up into the cubby (safely/cleanly) to run the line to go into the XM or Ipod?

This would be ideal....

Just placed my order one minute ago for the pro kit... This is going to be fun!

So I stopped in a car audio place today that I've used before, and they were trying to sell me on this:

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?request=product.details&categoryid=233&productid=527&usereferrer=1&

Not sure what the RCA jacks buy you, if anything?

Incidentally, I'm still undecided about the dock.. I was going to go with the Belkin Auto Kit, but I'm getting a little scared reading all the reports of the apparent heating issue in this thread.

Was also looking at the flexidock from Ten Technology - http://www.tentechnology.com/products/products_flexibledock.php

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

- Dave

Just placed my order one minute ago for the pro kit... This is going to be fun!

So I stopped in a car audio place today that I've used before, and they were trying to sell me on this:

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?request=product.details&categoryid=233&productid=527&usereferrer=1&

Not sure what the RCA jacks buy you, if anything?

Incidentally, I'm still undecided about the dock.. I was going to go with the Belkin Auto Kit, but I'm getting a little scared reading all the reports of the apparent heating issue in this thread.

Was also looking at the flexidock from Ten Technology - http://www.tentechnology.com/products/products_flexibledock.php

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

- Dave

Skip the Auto Kit--the amp is really a joke. Mine was constantly over heating on me unless I ran the volume at next to nothing (or unless I removed my GLI and then I got engine noise through the speakers). With the Kit volume low, I had to crank the head unit volume up to 30-40 to have decent volume. At that level, the bass was muted some. Worse, I actually overheated the head unit amp on a road trip--it made a popping sound and the head unit turned off. It was fine when I turned it back on so it must be some sort of circuit breaker.

I ran the Belkin Kit inside my center console with the plastic removed for better cooling. This eventually was the downfall to the Kit as I developed a short. I replaced it with the iPod doc from Jazzy which is very similar to the one you linked to above. The adapter from Jazzy requires a little more installation than a cigarette lighter plug because you have to hard wire it, but the sound quality is much better than the Belkin.

Skip the Auto Kit--the amp is really a joke. Mine was constantly over heating on me unless I ran the volume at next to nothing (or unless I removed my GLI and then I got engine noise through the speakers). With the Kit volume low, I had to crank the head unit volume up to 30-40 to have decent volume. At that level, the bass was muted some. Worse, I actually overheated the head unit amp on a road trip--it made a popping sound and the head unit turned off. It was fine when I turned it back on so it must be some sort of circuit breaker.

I ran the Belkin Kit inside my center console with the plastic removed for better cooling. This eventually was the downfall to the Kit as I developed a short. I replaced it with the iPod doc from Jazzy which is very similar to the one you linked to above. The adapter from Jazzy requires a little more installation than a cigarette lighter plug because you have to hard wire it, but the sound quality is much better than the Belkin.

Thanks kristian...

I assume you're referring to the Soundgate link in my post, not the Flexidock one... This does seem very similar to the one I was showed today.

The more I think about it, the more I think something like this makes sense.... with the flexidock, I'm pretty much bound to use the gen 3 iPod I have now...but with the Jazzy adapter I can easily swap to another iPod if I wanted to (I think the newer iPods are wider than the gen 3 I have)..

When you say hardwired, it just gets run to the fusebox I guess?

Thanks...

- Dave

You can still use the cigarette lighter under the stereo for power (I did for my XM) - but you'll have to splice/solder the wires into the wires behind the cigarette ligher vs. being able to just plug an adapter into it.

I assume you figured it out since you managed to send payment. :) BTW - if you're building a CarPC, the Pro Kit is exactly what you want and what you ordered, so you're all set. Thanks.