LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

Other systems are going to need attention before this motor is replaced or rebuilt again.

Transmission will likely need attention next. That I hope ClimberD can assist me with. Maybe take a Texas vacation to rebuild a transmission.

Main thing with the pistons being forged is less likely to bust a ring land. For initial build and operation, boost goals are at present no more than 15lb. I'm probably going to talk to Dave from Cryo to see if he suggests a break in map... Then roll back to the stage 1 map he worked on with me.

I'm planning to get a DP and new fuel pump for a mild stage 2 setup between smogs.

But I'll probably do the transmission first.

I have a few Perrin parts on the shelf as well. Up, TMIC and intake.

Will probably sell the Up and Intake. TMIC is a good unit and keeping it for the stage 2 setup.

The thing about the car is they don't make em like this any more. These are really simple machines aside from the ECU and sensors all over the place... Newer = more sensors and BS.

Edited by kzr750r1

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can someone please tell me why the cylinders become worn in an oval way?

The cylinder pressure might apply even to the whole piston area, which would push it directly down the bore, but it's connected to the crank. Since the connecting rod has to push at an angle against the crank to have any mechanical advantage on it, you have an equal and opposite reaction expressed in a rocking motion in the piston. That puts extra pressure on the piston in the plane perpendicular to crank rotation, which means extra friction on that side of the cylinder.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

:confused: So, it's not going to last forever, and "probably not going to last long", but might as well get forged pistons? Wouldn't OEM oversize be significantly cheaper and last as long as the rest of the car? Not criticizing, just curious.

I had the same dilemma and it came down to this. Since the motor has to come out to do the head gaskets, and since that job takes many weeks and in itself costs a lot in labor, I may as well do what I can to be sure I'm not pulling the motor again in a short amount of time. I'm actually surprised I went 90,000km without breaking a ring land, considering I use this car as a rolling laboratory. I'm not taking that chance a second time with the motor already apart. It's not like forgies are much more $ than OEM.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Comes down to am I keeping it or not. Yeah... It's a keeper.

Then keep to the goals.

Rebuilding the KZ taught me a few things... Like stick to some goals. Dont go crazy unless your planning on replacing more... As it goes most mods lead to a weakness else ware.

Good example is Strizzy and his axle endeavor. I'm not going to go there with the OBXT. Just an example.

The cylinder pressure might apply even to the whole piston area, which would push it directly down the bore, but it's connected to the crank. Since the connecting rod has to push at an angle against the crank to have any mechanical advantage on it, you have an equal and opposite reaction expressed in a rocking motion in the piston. That puts extra pressure on the piston in the plane perpendicular to crank rotation, which means extra friction on that side of the cylinder.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Can't get to the bloody machine shop this week. Sick kid and work kept me busy all day... Not making two trips to the east bay. I need to go there tonight but the guys will be long gone by then! DAMMIT!

TO

Changed my mind and blitzed to the east bay and back. 2 hours is stellar for a Friday afternoon leaving at 2pm. Got lucky.

Shop is ready to roll through some more blocks. Dudes coming in now expecting same day service....I'm first bitches been waiting a month.

Edited by kzr750r1

Well I have my Infamous parts order in now with the motor gasket kit. Confirmed half moons are not in there. Weird. Taking the old ones out the lip cracked anyhow so why not included these in the kit Subaru?

Holding off on the Subaru order cause I want to pay the Machine shop cash.

Edited the parts list and will compile some pictures for the second post beyond what F1 shared already. Looking forward to trying the Free Range hose kit. Need to add the upper and lower radiator hose to my next order from Mike. Back to the list.

Five weeks in and my engine is still laying around in pieces, waiting for some lazy twats to assemble it. I'm going to source either a new shortblock or good used longblock and keep that in stock for 'next time'.

If you had a good machine shop, the block should only take a few days. I shipped my block down to L.A. to a well know Subie shop, known for building Subaru/Mitsubishi race motors. Received my block back in 1 week, and this is what they did.

Hone out the cylinders

Polished and balanced the crank & rods

ACL race bearings

CP Pistons

All for $2,000 shipped

1651320613_block1.thumb.JPG.d7ca73166d043e374486053d4c360b39.JPG

longblock.thumb.JPG.7fc35df4e192b1990a783bfcdd568ae5.JPG

My wife's balls are delicious.

Finally made it over to Hayward today. Remember why I don't live in the east bay any more.

Caught them while my block was in the hone. Was cooling at the time. He has to take it in stages to meet tolerance.

Dropped off the stock valve retainers and valve seals from the gasket kit that arrived Monday. They also have an after market valve seal kit I picked up as well. Will let them see what looks like will fit and last best.

I will have the balanced crank, rods, pistons and block back for assembly mid next week. Heads to follow.

They are gearing up for more Subaru mayhem in the future. Going to jig up for these heads on the decking mill. Cut down on setup time and improve consistency.

Da_Blosck_Hone.jpg.f38b68a6ac837ce991e01ad091dc20b5.jpg

Good for you. All my parts are ready, machine work finished. Just waiting for some lazy fucks to assemble it

Questions come up while pondering risk.

How many thousandths can be shaved off the ends of the valve stem?

I have the subaru gasket kit with head gaskets but without half moons.

Use the Subaru head gaskets or find some other UBER head gasket?

Stick with the Subaru head gaskets, it's just as good as Felpro or better.

Reuse the half moons, that's what I did. Just slap a lot of sealant around them and put them back in place. They are higher up on the heads, so it's not a big deal.

My wife's balls are delicious.