LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

Old EJ205s were wide open, but they had much thicker liners...

5th gen EJ255 is semi-closed like the 4th gen.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I have found another machine shop that works on Subaru heads every day. In Hayward as well. Will be going over to the east bay on Monday and collect my parts. Pay for the work completed and move on to the next shop.

Called and my block is going on the mill today. He sounded wanting for some information of what I have found so far. Job will be completed else ware. It's all going to be collected them paid for services rendered and moving on.

Ok, I have found another machine shop that works on Subaru heads every day. In Hayward as well. Will be going over to the east bay on Monday and collect my parts. Pay for the work completed and move on to the next shop.

Just curious - which shop?

Called and my block is going on the mill today. He sounded wanting for some information of what I have found so far. Job will be completed else ware. It's all going to be collected them paid for services rendered and moving on.

Good.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Block is back, decked .005 ish and haven't checked their work on the bores yet. Need to do that and check ring gap. Heads are over at Robs Auto. Expectation is to time-sert all four spark plug hols at 25 bucks a piece.

Heads will be back in my hands by the end of the week ready to install... Famous last words.

I just finished my 1,000km break-in, changed to my usual Redline 10W-40 and reverted to my usual 1.25bar map. If anything the motor is actually quieter now than on the stuff I used for break-in.

Nice to be back to full power...

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Good to hear your break in is over and running smooth fahr_side.

Will be building the short block only this weekend.

Exhaust Valves are questionable, punt on those IMO. Exhaust guides replaced, new exhaust valves on order.

Should expect the heads back by Wednesday.

Want to at minimum get them bolted to the short block before I disappear for a month.

Ok all bores measured 4 times each at 1" and 2" between 12 and 3 o clock positions.

Pretty much any difference was .001 to .0005 at a average of 3.921"

Pistons are 3.918". We have hit the .0035 to .004" average. Cool beans.

Now the ring gap is a bit perplexing.

Manley is calling for .005 to .0075"... Depending on boost for top and second ring.

Oil Ring Rail spec is .015".

I'm getting wider at 1" ish in the bore.

Top .008 to .010

Second .010

Oil rings

.015 to .017 top

.027 to .029

It's almost like I have the wrong rings or I'm measuring at the wrong place... Will do it again at different depth midday tomorrow.

Calling Manley in the morning... Make sure I get this control ring on the right way for one...

Only marking is the TS3927 and there is a groove cut on the cylinder side.

Looks to me like groove down. But must be sure.

This would make the PN marking up.

Second is these gaps.

Just read through one thread on NASIOC pissing about Total Seal with one piston showing damage. Inconclusive why so far.

Couldn't pipe into the conversation for some reason. Don't know the secret handshake.

Doh!

Glad I called.

Instructions are clear. I'm not reading them right.

Gap recommendation is BORE X .006" = .023" for medium boost application.

Oil scraper is just Minimum .015 called out. No Max.

Looks like I need to rig up a file in the vice and get to cutting these rings down .014 to .016".

Crank and rods are assembled waiting for the rings to be prepped then I'll put this together.

Unfortunately this is where I have stall for one full month.

I will only have time to spend with my daughter before getting on the road for November.

After Saturday I will have two days at home this month.

All good cause I stack up some OT in the process and stoke the fire some more.

Will be going full force in December.

Nothing but fear and common sense to get in my way.

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered this from Summit today.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66785

Picked up an extra wheel as well just in case.

Looking forward to getting the motor build back on track.

Have the girl next weekend. Looking forward to hanging out with her. The two days I had with her early this week was too short.

Surely will get some time off after so I can get this block back together.