LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

Ok found the machine shop I'll be using. Al Hubbard in Hayward will take the split block and heads from the tear down. Refresh both and hand back for rebuild with a rough estimate of 500 bones. This work will give me the measurements needed for the bearings, potential need for over bore pistons and will check the crank and such.

They have been in business for years and although don't do a lot of EJ motors have and will do it.

I spoke to GTS and their take on this was they will not do anything but a complete motor refresh... Rough estimate $7500... Yeah no thanks.

$7500 just for the motor? No spankyou! I'm in for less than that, and I've got at least a couple of goodies out of the deal!

Forget Ultra Grey. You want the Ultra Black. Just order the caulk-sized one and it should be MORE than enough for your project.

Oil pan, cam towers, are really the only places it's needed. Heck, you could even get by on a small tube -- I stilll have about 1/4 of mine left!

Also, not sure on Subaru's warranty for the shortblock. It's likely to need to be installed by an ASE/Subaru-Certified mechanic, but, that's easy enough to prove if you've got a shop who will do you a favor. :)

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I wanted to hear the extreme... The two shops that i have worked with or have called me back have their wife working the phone. They are all about mitigating liability and IMO praying on people not able to do most of the work themselves. They don't want to receive a motor to rebuild after pulling it out myself... So back in my court.

Pulling. Breakdown. Machine (outsource). Rebuild are all on me.

Have you decided if you're going to split the block yourself and have the machine shop recondition the internals or have a builder do the whole block (split, machine, reassemble)?
My wife's balls are delicious.

I'm splitting block... Taking the heads down with case half's with crank for inspection and machining as needed. Will order rings and bearings based on findings. If I get new pistons it will based on some convincing but will probably in the end.

Getting there... Wife keeps throwing spit wad scenarios at me. I was playing chess in my head with all the variables this weekend.

Picked up my loaner truck.

Went to the Modesto GP with my daughter Sunday was good for the sole.

Need to clean out the garage and get the motor stand and lift over here.

Then today wife reverses her story via txt today while I'm at the office.

At this stage no reply.

Going to Harbor Freight today and pick up a motor stand, lift and adjustable cradle. They are not that expensive least for Harbor Freight.

Future ex flipped her mind again and my initial proposal stands. I'm keeping this house! Get OUT!

Edited by kzr750r1

Stand and lift assembled, bloody paint is still gassing out on these things.

May get another pair of stands and a second floor jack. Good reasons suggested elsewhere on the forum. Tweaking my list a little but haven't posted any changes yet. Gonna drop the DP for the moment. Running first then stage 2 after break in.

I'll PM you and GT my contact info...Unless things change I have a commitment most Saturdays.

Next Sunday I'll hope to either have it out or get it close to it.

Gonna start pulling it apart the motor compartment in the morning. Need to make sure I have ziplocks. :/

Yeah I get back from rehearsal around 4ish but usually beat enough to not want to do much. But with this on the table it's going to be interesting.

Need to decide my next move where to tear it down.

May try and get the boat out to a friends property and use that side of the garage.

Kind of one of those necessary steps before pulling the plug.

Yup, having enough room to pull the motor and an area to disassemble all the parts is important. The key to a good build is organization. Also, taking pics of each step of the tear down will make you life easier when putting everything back together.

All good GT. There will be plenty of fun to be had. Prep first. Getting closer. Trailer tires on the boat are holding air. :) Good will crap out of the garage and 100 ft air hose added to the tool collection.

I have always taken pictures of tear down these days. Makes things so much easier going back together. Especially since I'm not stuffing dissimilar parts together.

Getting my head wrapped around the decking procedure.

To maintain the correct compression ratio I would get a head gasket that compensates for the material removed?

I feel it would. Course this all depends on how much material is removed from block and head.

My mechanic friend feels it would not make a big enough difference.

8:2 is what I see as factory from the 2005 manual.

Looking at tolerance pages so I can speak intelligently with the machinist.

Need to wrap my head around valve lash setup.

I leaning to replace pistons regardless of what I find.

All good GT. There will be plenty of fun to be had. Prep first. Getting closer. Trailer tires on the boat are holding air. :) Good will crap out of the garage and 100 ft air hose added to the tool collection.

I have always taken pictures of tear down these days. Makes things so much easier going back together. Especially since I'm not stuffing dissimilar parts together.

Getting my head wrapped around the decking procedure.

To maintain the correct compression ratio I would get a head gasket that compensates for the material removed?

I feel it would. Course this all depends on how much material is removed from block and head.

My mechanic friend feels it would not make a big enough difference.

8:2 is what I see as factory from the 2005 manual.

Looking at tolerance pages so I can speak intelligently with the machinist.

Need to wrap my head around valve lash setup.

I leaning to replace pistons regardless of what I find.

Bags and a labelmaker are definitely the way to go. Put that shit in a bag, organize it in boxes by section/function, and don't take them out again. Get some different bolts for pulling the engine.

You should be just fine with a new OEM HG -- unless your heads are way warped and need lots of decking, it shouldn't be a problem.

Valve lash is. . . Different when explained, but, not terrible when you get right down to it. I was fortunate enough to have a shop with an entire bucket collection at my disposal and just have them swapped out, but, you'll need to prepare yourself to buy at least 4-6 new buckets (@~$25/ea), unless you have a shop nearby with Subaru buckets and is willing to let you consult their table and swap them out.

Use the feeler guage to the specified tolerances (JmP recommends .009 and .011", in/ex, respectively, but, feel free to consult with others.) You have some wiggle room, believe it or not, but there IS such a thing as too tight. Anne Lamott style, bucket by bucket, tighten down and check, back and forth. Allow yourself an evening for this and writing down the specs.

That said, your machine shop should have OEM specs in their reference materials and will set your lash to that, or as close as they can get it, if they don't have Subaru buckets. It's still good to check and set it yourself before final assembly.

Honestly, though, focus more on the valve lash than the decking of the heads -- unless the machinist really screws up, it shouldn't be a problem.

Above all -- Enjoy this experience. I only wish I had something as cathartic as building an engine during my last breakup.

Just ordered the TiC FU Cam Bolt Kit - Single AVCS... Quick email reply that they are on back order but should be in stock within a week. Not holding my breath... Need to wait so getting my place in line.

Just ordered the TiC FU Cam Bolt Kit - Single AVCS... Quick email reply that they are on back order but should be in stock within a week. Not holding my breath... Need to wait so getting my place in line.

I was told "two weeks/couple weeks" at least twice, about 3 weeks apart. Be prepared for 6-8 weeks.

If you are talking about next Sunday the 17th, thats a no go for me, wife's birthday. Could do Saturday the 16th if we get started early-ish in the morning or the following weekend.

Saturday would work for me too, I just need to know by this Wed. if it's a go, so I can adjust my schedule for the weekend.

Cardboard is another plus for placing parts on. My 2nd bay garage was line with cardboard on the ground. Easily to see all the parts laid out in the order of disassemble.

Saturday would work for me too, I just need to know by this Wed. if it's a go, so I can adjust my schedule for the weekend.

Cardboard is another plus for placing parts on. My 2nd bay garage was line with cardboard on the ground. Easily to see all the parts laid out in the order of disassemble.

Easier on the knees, too!