LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't worry about 8:2 or 8:4 or 8:6, it's not that big a difference. Just make sure the decks are flat and clean, stock HG and ARP studs. You'll be getting the car tuned after 500 miles or so...right ?

Did you read my thread, se click here link in sig. Do it right the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Car is e tuned right now with Dave at Cryotune stage 1 with stage three fueling. Going to talk to him about a break in map once I get closer or if it's needed at all. I'm also going to send the injectors in for a douche and inspect.

The other thing I have been pondering is changing the fuel pump. More of a proactive maintenance action other than performance upgrade. But If I get the latter I'm all good with that.

For sure I have ready your post a couple of times. Will probably be referring back to it a few more times before rebuilding.

Thanks Max.

The fuel pump is agood idea before the tune.

I would not replace it till after you know the engine runs well. I'm one for not changing to many things at one time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Agreed not to do it before.

I'm thinking out loud here this could one of the precursor symptoms of HG failure.

Curious to see if me little hiccups (hesitation under load at 2250 thru 2800 rpm) felt go away after the rebuild.

Agreed not to do it before.

I'm thinking out loud here this could one of the precursor symptoms of HG failure.

Curious to see if me little hiccups (hesitation under load at 2250 thru 2800 rpm) felt go away after the rebuild.

Only if you replace the OCVs, too.

Looking at Samco hose purchase. Crazy to me we have to import them from the UK... But ok.

I'm looking at the ARP bolts rod bolts. The description of press in makes me wonder if these would work for stock connecting rods.

Placed it in the tear down spot in the driveway.

Looking at Samco hose purchase. Crazy to me we have to import them from the UK... But ok.

I'm looking at the ARP bolts rod bolts. The description of press in makes me wonder if these would work for stock connecting rods.

Placed it in the tear down spot in the driveway.

For stock rods, there's no point. ARP head bolts, on the other hand (260-4701, $185 @ Amazon) are good insurance, and make installing heads easier. No back and forth rigamarole.

Call mSprank and see if he's still got the Venair hoses in stock. Good quality stuff at a decent price.

I have the intake hose from Mike.

Possible mini group buy in the works for the Samco stuff with BarmanB. Well see how that pans out.

In the middle of a hooo haaa with work right now and one of the equipment vendors...

I'll drop the bolts from the list if they make no sense. I do need to talk to Mike about the full motor gasket kit he has on sale anyway.

I have the intake hose from Mike.

Possible mini group buy in the works for the Samco stuff with BarmanB. Well see how that pans out.

In the middle of a hooo haaa with work right now and one of the equipment vendors...

I'll drop the bolts from the list if they make no sense. I do need to talk to Mike about the full motor gasket kit he has on sale anyway.

If he's anything like the other Mike, make sure he knows there's a chance he'll be sitting on 5-figures' worth of silicone hosing and getting, well, hosed on it.

Lift pivot I had to order from Harbor Freight will be here Thursday. Hope they don't need a signature and if so the boy is here.

I'm going to start tearing down Saturday afternoon. Have missed now two band rehearsals need to make Saturdays session.

Sunday will be a full day of fun. I'm gonna be a wreck Monday.

Well F1 left an hour or so ago and we had the motor out by 2pm ish. Didn't take as long as I had suspected.

We were a little hung up for a moment on with the torque converter pulling out with the motor but worked it out regardless.

Challenges were the CV needed to be backed out of the diff to get a good bite on two of the nuts and the torque converter hassle. Just a little interweb to find the procedure for bolt removal on the flex plate.

Thanks again to F1 for driving up and giving me a hand!

If it could go back where it was I left it there. I'll be bagging more stuff with the motor dis assembly than with the rest of it. I've een all these parts out before except for splitting the block so not much of a mystery there. Need to replace a couple rounded off boogers.

Getting the flex plat off was one thing but having the torque converter follow the motor was not good. I'll be reading up on that part a little more now. :/

If it could go back where it was I left it there. I'll be bagging more stuff with the motor dis assembly than with the rest of it. I've een all these parts out before except for splitting the block so not much of a mystery there. Need to replace a couple rounded off boogers.

Getting the flex plat off was one thing but having the torque converter follow the motor was not good. I'll be reading up on that part a little more now. :/

It's not a big deal, really. Put it back in and rotate it back and forth until it pops back into place; once it does, it's fine .

Good times! As Kzr750 mentioned, everything went smooth besides the little hang up on the torq converter, but that only gave us a 15 min headache. All and all, we had it out and on the stand in 3 hrs.

Here's a few pics.

795452284_Motorready.jpg.daff5cbfbc1dec4447a23ab3673468b2.jpg

2013726231_Motorpull.jpg.55f4cb7d3d574174c0c37374aa44a4f2.jpg

1980492380_Motorout.jpg.2681d1252bea9475249f49d9a91d5761.jpg

1145719659_OnStand.jpg.a50a110aa3be9eadb82a0acffc83fd95.jpg

My wife's balls are delicious.

Thanks for taking those pictures. I didn't have any of them on the lift and such. I'm going to modify that lift a little for next time to give a couple inches from the bumper.

Now that all the parts are in the back of the car I can flank the stand between two tables and begin tear down.

I will have Questions! ;) In all I was pleased it was out before 5. Would not have happened that quick unless F1 showed up.

Been emailing back and forth with Tim at RCM... He's saying go big and use 12 to 14mm studs for these heads. Will probably not but food for thought. Cost of machining to use them may be cost prohibitive. Well see after tear down.

Are you thinking about drilling another hole on the slide arm of the lift to extend it another 3 - 4 inches? I'm sure that would work.

Yeah. Put the Bridgeport to work and bust another hole in there. How far probably no more than 2.5". Just a little more clearance Clarence.

I will have Questions! ;) In all I was pleased it was out before 5. Would not have happened that quick unless F1 showed up.

Been emailing back and forth with Tim at RCM... He's saying go big and use 12 to 14mm studs for these heads. Will probably not but food for thought. Cost of machining to use them may be cost prohibitive. Well see after tear down.

ARP 260-4701 are the correct head studs. For $185, that's the best you're gonna get.