LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

That's what I have on my list for head stud kit. Will likely still go that route. Not ordering parts till the machine shop hands me back measurements.

One interesting note is I have an AA/AB block.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading through the 2005 manual there is little visual information and removal text us vague about the torque converter.

The converter was out quite a ways and output shaft was not always square in the hole.

I want to be sure there was no damage to the seal and input shaft before placing the motor back on. Going to keep looking for information but figured I'd put the word out here and see if someone could assist with my concern.

Pulled most of the peripherals off the motor. Need to mark up the injectors and coil packs and pull the fuel system tonight. Then time to pull the flywheel and get the center belt cover off for the rest. Progress.

Looks like I'm joining you....

pisswasser.thumb.jpg.5d6f305780a009e363813bfbd888995d.jpg

Oh well. Stg1 almost from break-in, 16G at 18psi for 60,000km and last 10,000km on billet 18G plus meth at 18.5psi. I thought I might be the one to wear out the stock block rather than break it, but at 88,000km I have bubbles in coolant and it will overflow under high boost / load conditions, exhaust gas in coolant. Going similar route to you. ARP head studs, OEM gaskets, 99.55mm Manley pistons.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Manley eh...Why Manley in your opinion?

Have most everything off the block now but it was too late to bust out the air hammer to knock off the crank pulley.

Looks like Subaru tech that did the last belt change just slapped it on irrespective of the lines on the belt and pulley notches. I've rotated a few times and the pulley marks all line up but the lines are offset several teeth.

The Manley pistons come in a useful size between stock bore and 99.75mm, and have really good rings. I've seen many others with narrower rings (eg. Cosworth) start to use oil quickly. I was looking at the Mahle items but a customer broke the ringlands on one. He is a bit too fond of launch-control though.

Don't worry about the belt marks. Align the pulleys and remove the belt.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Cool. Once I get the bores inspected well see about tolerances. Good info on the rings will have to read up on that.

Yeah I'm with you on the belt. This is one of the reasons I'm doing most of this myself. I just can't trust people to do the right thing these days. No, I don't seem to have issues with this belt but makes me crazy seeing it's not installed correctly.

Yes the belt marks don't mean anything. It the pulleys that must line up.

The belt has a odd number of teeth so it varies where it hits the pulleys every time around. That's so it wears evenly. If it hit in the same spot it would wear out faster.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Popped the vbelt pulley off with air assist. Came right out with no swear words. Looking closer at the drivers side exhaust cam pulley it looks like Subaru tech slipped a few times with the spec wrench, several chips present, thanks guys!

Gonna use the belt lock down method tomorrow to attempt the dreaded bolt removal.

The belt has a odd number of teeth so it varies where it hits the pulleys every time around. That's so it wears evenly. If it hit in the same spot it would wear out faster.

This. It's called a 'hunting ratio'. Belt and pulley tooth counts don't divide into each other exactly. Same practice used in gear sets, chain & sprocket sets etc. to reduce noise and wear. You might have to turn the engine over dozens of times to have everything line up, but eventually it will.

Cam Pulleys off. Blasted myself in the face when the drivers side intake cam broke loose. Those glasses now need a new screw. Lost the screw while bending the frames back in shape. No worries there... THE CAM BOLTS ARE OFF! Beer!

Gonna strip the rest of the parts off while I'm sending a new dump of logs to an equipment support team.

Cam Pulleys off. Blasted myself in the face when the drivers side intake cam broke loose. Those glasses now need a new screw. Lost the screw while bending the frames back in shape. No worries there... THE CAM BOLTS ARE OFF! Beer!

Gonna strip the rest of the parts off while I'm sending a new dump of logs to an equipment support team.

Well done! You'll find it's quite easy after this -- one of the big humps -- from here on out. That is, until you need to brace them again to tighten them down and not skip a tooth.

Grab a 12pt 14mm for the headbolts and drink a beer while you're doing it -- That's the fun part!

Case split, crank out, pistons, main bearings, wrist pins and Organised in boxes. Calling machine shop Monday. Don't expect much more than clean up, cylinder hone, valve lap and measurement confirmation for bearing and piston order.

Gahhhhh.... Now he remembers.

The machine shop I'm going to use told me they were taking the last week of this month off. Guess I'll stop calling now, wait until next week.

Hope they aren't at burning man. Sounded like a mud bog fest this year turning people back.

I had three exhaust buckets drop onto the cardboard during tear down. Guess now I have the time to confirm what valves they belong to. Will not order more buckets till the heads are back and anchored down again.

So we wait.

Edited by kzr750r1

All my parts are here but neither of the two shops I'd trust with this work have a chance to do it within three weeks. ****. ****. ****.

Maybe option three opened up. Another very good shop I have done some tunes for in the past are trying to fit me in next week, even they're a few hours away. Fingers crossed. Separation anxiety is a bitch. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

TiC FU bolts on my doorstep with the Free Range Racing Hose kit.

Machine shop was gearing toward a run of Subaru blocks and such. Another customer came in and handed over a couple NA motors. Was drooling over mine apparently while schooling these guys what all the markings mean on these motors... :)

They picked up a spare block to experiment with and ensure their hone can be adjusted to not push through the bore too far. They didn't want to experiment on mine... Nice of them.