LegacyGT.com

Extreme Turbo Systems: Exhaust Manifold W/ External Wastegate

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stolen from a Honda forum but it seems reasonable...

Your deciding factors are the angle of exit of your wastegate port, wastegate size, and your desired wastegate setting.

Big (or multiple) wastegates are needed to control low boost on big turbos. The higher the boost the more exhaust energy goes to spin the turbo, and the less goes out the wastegate *so the smaller the wastegate needed*.

A lot of the wastegate sizing is a matter of intelligent design. You can look at the manifold and get a pretty good idea. I've tuned GT40 on twin 44mm wastegate FR manifolds for K20A2 in EP3; due to the horrible angles the wastegates exit at the exhaust has a hard time changing direction to flow out of them, and with 11 psi springs boost creeps to 15+ psi. Another car has a single 44mm gate w/ 11 psi spring for it's GT40, but the wastegate exit is angled downward from the collector so that it is easy to bypass the turbine, and thus the car maintains 11 psi wastegate flat as a strap. With the boost turned up, both manifolds/wastegate setups w/ GT40s do a great job of controlling boost.

Deadrick, can you briefly explain the advantage of the dual ewgs?

bettner12 already explained the benefit, at least for twin scroll turbos, in post #24 Letting the exhaust pulses merge would negate the benefits of the twin scroll turbo.

I'd say for our single scroll cars it's probably just easier to use two gates from a fabrication standpoint. To use one EWG on our cars you'd probably want all 4 exhaust runners to merge into one before the turbo and plumb the EWG from there.

To use one EWG on our cars you'd probably want all 4 exhaust runners to merge into one before the turbo and plumb the EWG from there.

^^^ This.

That was an important factor in my header with EWG design based on input from my installer, the fabricator and Geoff @ Full Race.

• 4 weeks later...
The reason btw the original header has two holes in the flange is that the JDM versions of BR9 / BM9 (and maybe other markets too) were fitted with an EJ207 and a twinscroll turbo. I have seen one but I didn't catch the model number. Looked very much like a VF-54 but with a TS exhaust housing.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The 15 WRX and 14 Forester (I believe) are also twin scroll from the factory. Chances this manifold will fit all models or is there something different about the FA motors?

The spacing between the flanges is not the same, though it seems the turbo flange shape is the same and the turbos are interchangeable. I don't know about the USDM items but the turbos on the EDM '14 FXT models I've seen had Honeywell branded turbos made in China rather than the usual IHI stuff...

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The spacing between the flanges is not the same, though it seems the turbo flange shape is the same and the turbos are interchangeable. I don't know about the USDM items but the turbos on the EDM '14 FXT models I've seen had Honeywell branded turbos made in China rather than the usual IHI stuff...

Correct, new FXT and WRX use Honeywell turbos. http://turbo.honeywell.com/whats-new-in-turbo/video/gasoline-dualboost-turbo/

• 1 month later...
FromETS website: ETS 2010+ Legacy GT Turbo Manifold is built in house using 1.9" SCH40 SS material. This insures the manifold last the life of your vehicle and increases horsepower. This manifold is designed to be used with 2x Tial MV-S wastegates. This gives you precise boost control when you need it most.

• 2 weeks later...
Lol, I will get some professional answers from PIA. If you look at the pics of the exhaust manifold its actually setup for twinscroll. As far as spool the car feels completely different and the only thing different is the manifold and EWG.

PM sent if whenever you have a moment.

You can have it welded shut but there are also brackets to hold the IWG shut in case you sell or decide to revert back later. Check out Cobb, Grimmspeed, and IAG. I'm not sure if the VF bracket would fit our turbo without modification as I haven't done this yet.

Might also need v-band dump tubes for the wastegates. Not sure if ETS supplies them. It would be a quick fab job for any shop though.

You can have it welded shut but there are also brackets to hold the IWG shut in case you sell or decide to revert back later. Check out Cobb, Grimmspeed, and IAG. I'm not sure if the VF bracket would fit our turbo without mmodification as I haven't done this yet.

Might also need v-band dump tubes for the wastegates. Not sure if ETS supplies them. It would be a quick fab job for any shop though.

Thanks for the info. I'll call up ETS tomorrow.

They said they can build one and ship it by the end of next week. Would probably need to build dump tubes. The person responding said they think they may be jigged but wasn't sure. Not exactly sure what "jigged" means.

Their 10% sale is just starting also.....

That makes sense b/c the manifold would not be available for sale if it were not already jigged.

I contacted ETS when the manifold was first released. At that point they did not have dump tubes available. So I guess they will be producing and selling dump tubes soon.

Archived