LegacyGT.com

Who's in VT?

ripstik

Does anyone feel like helping me sort out what I need to fix up my 2000 legacy I picked up. I've figured out most of it but I feel like there are sine things beyond my mechanical know how. I don't want to just start throwing unnecessary parts on it. Any help would be appreciated. I can provide food, drink and possibly a little cash compensation... I'd like to get it fixed up sooner than later

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea my schedule is so packed tight for basically the rest of the summer. that said i could probably eek out a little time to come down next month, and maybe we can put some hands on my car too. do you have a pretty good assortment of tools? I have almost nothing.

edit: whats up with it?

My main concern is where the axle goes into the hub it is very loose and even can see a gap while wiggling it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/jonathanwhelan/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_152039_zpsl3vi9fno.jpg

My other concern is where the rubber accordion thing is (for lack of a more profession term) on what I believe is the steering damper was disconnected. I'm told there should probably be grease in it but when I was re attaching it there was almost an oily liquid that came out of it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/jonathanwhelan/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_152120_zpsttgeftgw.jpg

yea my schedule is so packed tight for basically the rest of the summer. that said i could probably eek out a little time to come down next month, and maybe we can put some hands on my car too. do you have a pretty good assortment of tools? I have almost nothing.

edit: whats up with it?

Hopefully we can hook up, it's be nice to have the car tagged and inspected by then but who knows lol. I have some tools but by no means a mechanic. I tend to just buy things as I need them. Big things I'll loan from auto zone :) can't remember if they charge you anything or if it's just a deposit type program.

Hopefully we can hook up, it's be nice to have the car tagged and inspected by then but who knows lol. I have some tools but by no means a mechanic. I tend to just buy things as I need them. Big things I'll loan from auto zone :) can't remember if they charge you anything or if it's just a deposit type program.

Most of them loan them for free for the day but not all of them. I used to do all the work on my maxima in the napa auto parking lot at home. they let me use what ever i needed as long as i didn't take it home. that was always fun

edit: and that accordion thing is usually called a boot.

The inner stub shafts on Subaru differentials can be pulled out with enough force, a little play in and out is fine, just look for any gear oil leaks. As for the hub side, there should be no play, as that is what determines your bearing pre-load. Check to ensure your bearings are ok first, as this could have caused the play. If they are, re-torque the axle nut. I believe the spec is around 85 Ft Lbs, but you should check the 3rd Gen forum to be sure. Honestly, my best guess is that your bearings are on their way out, axle nuts don't just loosen on these cars, unless they weren't torqued, and then the bearing might be bad anyway.

Steve

Edit: Also the inner tie-rod boot should be fine to reattach, but continue to look for power steering leaks.

I remembered it was the boot after I posted haha, but was driving and they are really cracking down on the hands free law. Love free or die right?

In NH too? don't you not even have to wear your seatbelt in NH?

Thanks Steve, I really should go hop on some 3rd Gen threads! I imagine the bearing is junk considering the previous owner seemed to not card for this car at all or do any preventative measures. The last time the car was registered it was never inspected again. Almost all the brakes were destroyed to include a few calipers and rotors hence the whole new set up I just bought and will hopefully get to start putting on tonight. :) much work to do to this car, but the body is in fairly good shape and the hour I drove it engine seems strong. The lack of exhaust made it to difficult to listen for any "abnormal" sounds. The gear box feel really sloppy but shifts good. I think I'm just used to how nice the sifter is on my GT and was on my WRX.

In NH too? don't you not even have to wear your seatbelt in NH?

There's a lot of things we don't have to do lol. Most are common sense but they don't force you to. Like NH is the last state that you don't need auto ins. If you own your car. As for me, I always have insurance, wear my seat belt and wear a helmet when riding ;)

i guess they don't care if you hurt yourself but do care if you endanger others... i could get behind that. do they allow handhelds at stoplights? VT recently put the kibosh on txting at lights

Thanks for that, I'm not looking to upgrade anything on this car, truly a beater so I don't have to drive my GT so much. But I do have that mentality with her lol! On a side note, brakes are harder to replace than I though, granted not very difficult, just harder than I thought. Seized bolts don't help hahaha

I'll be in Burlington Friday night and Saturday morning (minus some time at my GF's work party) but I'm house sitting in Waterbury this weekend and will probably spend most of my time on the Waterbury reservoir. if you feel like meeting up or possibly doing a little boating let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived