LegacyGT.com

thisisthenewsic quest for 600+whp

Nice to see the car is still coming along. Been a few years now (more than 4?) since I have seen it in person up close.

Looks like you decided to take the plunge and drop all your youthful monies into it. I know the experience all too well. Good luck to you on the completeion of your project and I certainly hope you get to enjoy it before changing it up again or parting ways with the car. I dont ever regret building my own machines, but I do regret having to let them go sometimes.

FYI on Churchs dynos. The DynaPaks read really high. Shawn is a very good tuner. If he is personally tuning your car, great. The dynos he has are very popular in Japan and Austaralia, not so much in the US. Last car we sent up to Churchs for a dyno comparison was an 07 STi. Made 385whp on my Mustang (e85) and made 485whp on Churchs DynaPak (exact same day as fast as we could get it up there from my dyno). We tested on my dyno, sent it up to Church and then tested again on my dyno afterwards. 3 times on 2 different dynos in the same day. 100whp difference coming and going.

For comparison we tested a few cars on my Mustang and the Dyno Jet that DSport uses for testing. 20% less on my dyno every time. If you make 600 at Church it should equate to 450+ on my Mustang. Which is a VERY strong Subie (the GymKhana1 car made 530 on a Dyno Jet).

thanks! yeah the head gaskets decided to go after 143k at acs last year at subiefest. think i lifted the head on e85. can't complain for an all stock motor tuned on the 20g on e85.

yes shaun is tuning it himself, don't trust the other people he has working for him personally. and yeah i know dynojets read high, a lot of people use them. mustangs are "heartbreakers" as people would say, but in reality its just showing more realistic numbers. the dyno numbers aren't really too important for me, mainly just curious what this motor can do with the out front closed deck (assembled by jeff/crystalimpreza_v) with the big ass borgwarner. LOL. he assembled the bare long block, i installed everything else(turbo kit accessories ext) and my buddy did the fab work.

I'm mainly looking for a reliable tune for the track to go out and have fun at the track but is still steerable.

Personally I like the old wheel/tire setup you had on there better... otherwise its great to see how close you are to finishing this thing! Good luck with the final tune as im sure this car is gonna be alot of fun! Cheers!

yeah i like my rpf1s, but i wanted to switch to 17s since i plan to start tracking it, 17" tires are cheaper, more choices for tires and also the 17x9/9.5 rpf1s don't clear my brakes up front so those were out. i actually purchased a set of 17x9.5 +38 and they didn't clear the barrel.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What tires do you recommend for everyday driving? Im gonna be getting a new set soon and was just wondering what you think are good everyday driving tires. No track time in my car at the moment haha

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

It's really preference and what your willing to spend. On my daily I have non name brand tires. Achilles atr sports are cheap and I found them to be good tires for street use. Quiet, handled good and I got good life out of them.

Best bet is to read reviews on tires on like tire rack and try some out yourself. That's what I'm doing with the dunlop z2 right now. I'll be using these, trying out the new rs3 and maybe some others.

The rs3 is probaly the best street tire that holds up amazing at the track.

Looking good !! Can't wait to flip my manifold around as well. On a side note I finally was able to pull my heads off blew one gasket and one head had scoring from the exhaust cam. So getting new core and rebuild with upgraded valves and retainers. Curious did u do any head work ?

yes shaun is tuning it himself, don't trust the other people he has working for him personally. and yeah i know dynojets read high, a lot of people use them. mustangs are "heartbreakers" as people would say, but in reality its just showing more realistic numbers. the dyno numbers aren't really too important for me, mainly just curious what this motor can do with the out front closed deck (assembled by jeff/crystalimpreza_v) with the big ass borgwarner. LOL. he assembled the bare long block, i installed everything else(turbo kit accessories ext) and my buddy did the fab work.

I'm mainly looking for a reliable tune for the track to go out and have fun at the track but is still steerable.

I agree on the Shaun thing (sorry no disrespect if I spelled his name wrong).

Church uses Dyan Pak, not Dyno Jet. Dyna Pak read even higher than Dyno Jet. Dyna Pak dynos are trying to give a horsepower number that takes out tire slip and other calculation "errors". Hence the removal of the tires and the sensors placed at the hubs. It is closer to crank power.

Really means very little as long as you keep using the same dyno. That way you have before and after numbers and can keep adjusting your build and tune in the proper direction. Moar powah.

Outfront prepares all my blocks for me. I only use their closed decks. It helps that John (the owner) lives 2 freeway exits from me. I have only installed 1 motor that Jeff assembled. It has been going strong for some time. Outfront did the machine work on that motor too. We have had Outfront closed decks to 32psi. 28psi all day long on the street (e85).

Funny thing, Borg Warner is supplying us a turbo for a BRZ/FRS project we are working on. It will be my first hands on with the AFR series.

Its tough to drive really high horsepower cars on the street. You have to be very careful. They tend to hit boost late and hard. You have to get very familiar with the boost and hit characteristics. That way you dont go for a pass and end up in someones back seat (due to the boost hit). I have 550whp DD car here. It basically lives here every time the owner gets deployed. Scary arse $h^t when that thing hits 28psi and you were not ready for it. All 4 tires smoke in 3rd and 4th gear.

Deff coming along. Keep up the hard work.

Looking good !! Can't wait to flip my manifold around as well. On a side note I finally was able to pull my heads off blew one gasket and one head had scoring from the exhaust cam. So getting new core and rebuild with upgraded valves and retainers. Curious did u do any head work ?

thanks!

i didn't do any porting, but i did do +1mm intake/exhaust valves which requires bowl blending. but besides that. no.

b25 heads

gsc s2 cams

+1mm supertech valves

supertech 83lb springs/retainers (recommended the stiffest springs by my builder to help with valve float at high rpms)

bowl blending for +1mm valves.

I agree on the Shaun thing (sorry no disrespect if I spelled his name wrong).

Church uses Dyan Pak, not Dyno Jet. Dyna Pak read even higher than Dyno Jet. Dyna Pak dynos are trying to give a horsepower number that takes out tire slip and other calculation "errors". Hence the removal of the tires and the sensors placed at the hubs. It is closer to crank power.

Really means very little as long as you keep using the same dyno. That way you have before and after numbers and can keep adjusting your build and tune in the proper direction. Moar powah.

Outfront prepares all my blocks for me. I only use their closed decks. It helps that John (the owner) lives 2 freeway exits from me. I have only installed 1 motor that Jeff assembled. It has been going strong for some time. Outfront did the machine work on that motor too. We have had Outfront closed decks to 32psi. 28psi all day long on the street (e85).

Funny thing, Borg Warner is supplying us a turbo for a BRZ/FRS project we are working on. It will be my first hands on with the AFR series.

Its tough to drive really high horsepower cars on the street. You have to be very careful. They tend to hit boost late and hard. You have to get very familiar with the boost and hit characteristics. That way you dont go for a pass and end up in someones back seat (due to the boost hit). I have 550whp DD car here. It basically lives here every time the owner gets deployed. Scary arse $h^t when that thing hits 28psi and you were not ready for it. All 4 tires smoke in 3rd and 4th gear.

Deff coming along. Keep up the hard work.

opps, i always get dynojet and dynapak mixed up lol!

yes jeff assembled my motor, outfront did the bore/hone with my 99.75 pistons and jeff has a machine shop he uses for headwork i guess.

i have heard great things about jeff, and his work shows because of him pushing somewhere around 700hp no problems on his own car.

i would love an efr, but the 1500$ larger price tag than their airwerks(8375 airwerks/8374 efr) in the same size, was not worth it to me imho. if i was to get a sponsorship lol i would easily jump to an efr. plus their airwerks are proven to be great turbos, have great reliability and response is great for a journal bearing turbo. the 8375 is comparable to garretts 40r, but spools like a 35r. both of those being ball bearing.

the car will be driven on the streets but not very much, but i plan to have a few different maps.

doing a 91 20psi map for driving to meets/cruises/shows ect as 91 is everywhere. ill have 3 e85 maps, still deciding on 20/26/32 or 20/28/35.

both the high boost maps would just mainly be for numbers because making 650-700hp on the streets/track is useless unless its a drag car. but tracking a 700hp car is overboard. even the fastest guys in gta/rta/extreme speed are making maybe 500-550 at most. maybe 1 or 2 guys making more but thats very few.

mainly driven on the street on the 20psi map on e85 tho. track will be 20 and the 26/28 map once i get more used to the car. it is nice having a turbo that spools a little later because imho it makes it a little easier to drive down low compared to my 20g on e85 which it was hard to stay out of boost with the 6 speed.

I deleted all the evap from the engine bay. Since I am far from passing smog legally lol.

Ks tech 9.5mm phenolic spacers

Throttle body spacer

Shaved down part of the alternator housing and modified tensioner bracket

Custom intercooler piping.

There's a whole write up on it. Or search full-race rotated intake manifold Sti on google and it'll pop up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This build is phenomenal man, your turbo/motor build is pretty much my dream list. Props to you!!

Btw do you have any pics of the race wing on the car?

thanks

haven't had the wing made yet. i got to take the car down to kognition to get measurements taken before he can make the wing.

been having issues with the car so thats on the back burner

How did the tune go? Did you pull the heads?

tune was going good, but somehow the engine lost oil pressure and started making noise. started it back up a few days later after it was towed home, and its got oil pressure now but still the same noise. not sure yet if its a bearing as the sound its making sounds valve train related. brand new gsc cams(ones that a lot of people have been having issues with lately with cam lobes wiping out) have some scuffing on them.

gotta pull the cams back out and check the lobes for squareness. and go from there. working with my builder as to what we are gonna do for a solution. he personally hasn't had any gsc cam failures yet, but a lot of big name builders have been having numerous issues with the gsc/kelford cams.

motor is already out, i pulled it yesterday.

MPS-Dom opened a HUGE can-o-worms on nasty crack when he went ballistic on GSC over cam failures. Now there are a bunch of miffed builders and at least 2 (if not 3) royally miffed manufacturers. Hopefully egos can be set aside so that progress can be made and the community (end users) can benefit.

I personally have not had any failures (knock on wood). When I spoke with Outfront, they too have had no issues to date.

MPS-Dom opened a HUGE can-o-worms on nasty crack when he went ballistic on GSC over cam failures. Now there are a bunch of miffed builders and at least 2 (if not 3) royally miffed manufacturers. Hopefully egos can be set aside so that progress can be made and the community (end users) can benefit.

I personally have not had any failures (knock on wood). When I spoke with Outfront, they too have had no issues to date.

yeah, my builder has yet to have a failure. I'm his first.

I'm hoping this gets sorted out too, sucks for the shops and obviously the customer too.

want my damn car running haha!

Sorry to hear that. Good luck going forward.

thanks. hopefully it'll be something quick.

they have some scuff marks on the lobes. its on practically all 4 cams so I'm curious to how all 4 got scuffs.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/codynicot/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsb0b7ca23.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/codynicot/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps5537766b.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/codynicot/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps5764627b.jpg

Archived