LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The valve even w/o the nipple was great. Small stream into the pan vs "I had one too many shots of everclear" *blarf* all over the tire, driveway, and ramp. In theory that mod you only need to walk up to the car with oil, filter, funnel and something to catch the old oil with. The under $10 filter socket is optional if the filter isn't over tq.

• 2 weeks later...

Ramps are faster than a jack but have obvious limitations. If you get a cap wrench, don't get the shitty plastic ones at O'Riley they stretch and slip.

I'm looking forward to a Subaru, my honda filter sits 90 degrees (sideways) and rains oil down on a crossmember giving you right arm and the ground an oil shower.

• 1 month later...
I always take a screw driver and use it to poke a hole or 2 in the top of the oil filter to allow the oil to drain out, then once its drained use the same screw driver to poke a hole in the side of the filter and use the screw driver to turn the filter out. works like a charm.

I always take a screw driver and use it to poke a hole or 2 in the top of the oil filter to allow the oil to drain out, then once its drained use the same screw driver to poke a hole in the side of the filter and use the screw driver to turn the filter out. works like a charm.

I read somewhere you could use a solo cup and thats what I been doing. I tried and failed the screwdriver attempts. I miss the drain plug on my mazda 6 cartridge filter setup. Took a Allen key and an additional washer to replace tho.

Ramps are faster than a jack but have obvious limitations. If you get a cap wrench, don't get the shitty plastic ones at O'Riley they stretch and slip.

I'm looking forward to a Subaru, my honda filter sits 90 degrees (sideways) and rains oil down on a crossmember giving you right arm and the ground an oil shower.

Yeah did a few changes on them and that was not a fun. I refused to do one w/o using a lift so I could run away before the no longer golden shower.

Also installed a Fumoto, looking forward to a spotless oil change next time around.

Be sure to have a large enough catch-pan (diameter wise) for the Fumoto. The first time you use it, you may not realize how much and where it dumps! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Be sure to have a large enough catch-pan (diameter wise) for the Fumoto. The first time you use it, you may not realize how much and where it dumps! :)

That's where the one with the nipple on it is handy, just slip some hose over the end and drop the other end of the hose straight into an empty oil jug, no drain pan required!

I has inverted nipple one. It pees 7 inches from the ramp and tire into the bucket. 90% less splatter and not so golden showers. Before, the second that drain plug came off I had 1.4 seconds to abandon ship. Brake cleaner usually gets the small drops that ricocheted out.

I has inverted nipple one. It pees 7 inches from the ramp and tire into the bucket. 90% less splatter and not so golden showers. Before, the second that drain plug came off I had 1.4 seconds to abandon ship. Brake cleaner usually gets the small drops that ricocheted out.

^ I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but it's gettin' me hot and bothered. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 7 months later...

I've been wanting a fumoto valve for the Legacy and the Outback, but I was worried about the length of the standard nipple version. My google search took me to a sight called qwikvalve.com that had a version with a short nipple. (The short version was not listed on the fumoto website) I called them and bought two over the phone which got me free shipping. They arrived in three days.

The valves come with a small white plastic barbed hose fitting and about 12 inches of clear plastic hose. I just installed it, so I can not advise if the connection between the removable barbed hose fitting and the valve is leak free connection. But, the shorter nipple does give some peace of mind so I am not worried about it.

I had no clearance issues on the 08 Outback. I hope the 05 LGT is as easy.

IMAG0238.thumb.jpg.132b3e72070ec1ce7f625469c95ac584.jpg

IMAG0236.thumb.jpg.96d1f860d35e620e46c38489fdba5c59.jpg

It still tucked behind the plastic skid plate. It doesn't protrude that much more than the drain plug before. Also for the where it dumps you can open the valve slowly to control the amount that comes out.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived