LegacyGT.com

:(...For the Love of LGT

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I'll get some research together for parts. Otherwise looks like I'll order a Maxwell Power built engine or MA Performance.

Just remember they're going to need a 5th gen EJ shortblock if they start the build from scratch. Otherwise the oil pan, etc aren't going to fit.

Ok I'm officially a bit worried here. Good luck Stu, hoping I don't join you sometime in the near future.

No need to worry. Maybe do a conpression test for peace of mind.

@Rutchard....point noted. I was having the convo with the guy who helped me. Hes had prob 10+ modified subies of the years and everytime we do something on my car he always scratches his head ccompared other generations

Rather unfortunate I know. I have a feeling this one moment of driving doesn't correlate to the overall problem. If anyone remembers I was trying to figure out why my car was burning oil and discovered it was a bad o-ring? That was earlier this summer so that was replaced.. Odds are this was more or less the issue.

Onward and upward for what's to come I guess. Gotta find a positive out of this, being negative will only poison my love for this car.

How many miles do you have on your stage 1 map? Shouldn't have been running as rich as the plugs indicate. Hope you're able to get back and running with the least cost to you. Good luck.

Starting to do a lot of reading for builds on nasioc. Pros and con's of various brands, compression differences and seeing what it takes to squeeze out a few more liters. Hex many go completely one off and go for broke for first over 400hp on our platform. Just gonna take money of course waiting until I get through the holidays to focus on work and family first. Then tackle this by pulling the engine and getting options lined up for some sort of rebuild.

s2, talk to me on FB. I can send you what i am doing now that I am almost done with the mundane parts.

As a member of the Blown motor club, I welcome you buddy. You can get through it and I have some mistakes I have made that you can learn from to avoid.

• 1 month later...
I just saw this post. The #3 spark plug looks like detonation to me. (those are pieces of your #3 piston on the plug) The detonation didn't just start happen with the installation of new air filter, judging by the amount of aluminum specs on it. It was going to happen sooner or later, the air filter maybe been the last straw or coincidence.

Of course an "air filter" didnt cause the issue. Like you mentioned though it seemed inevitable that something was apparently wrong, partially my fault for not logging things more often. But i figured a build would be instore before 60k....and well here we have it.

It's a bummer, and most of us have been through your pain, including myself. I actually enjoyed pulling my motor apart and reinstalling the new one. The only thing I didn't enjoy is all the little parts start to add up quickly.
My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 years later...

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af38/stu-nami/S2BARU/IMAG0868_zpsgw6ywn5d_edit_1458005963463_zpsd9fh3woe.jpg

I never thought I would revive this thread but it saddens me that the hood will be staying off for awhile until I figure out what happened today:(. Hopes were high since I took the hood off to go for a little drive. Went to start the car and within about 5-10secs I heard a *thwack and iy sounded terrible....instantly turned the car off. It saddens me to go through this again, it seem my run of luck with this car only happens in 6month intervals. I either threw a rod, valve or shredded a bearing. Needless to say my engine has to come out...again. Made it about 18000miles and they were great miles at that. Met several of you on an epic cross country trip of a lifetime.

Don't really know what to think of it yet until I crack it open. Lots of unknowns. Lots of heartbreak and lots of thinking.

Sadly I might be brining this car to an end. It'll be weeks before I can get into it. I'm caught up in other financial endeavors to whearas I can't take immediate action. Im too stubborn to ask for help at times but I may need it this time. Trying to stay positive once again so send me some good vibes for the time being.

That made me frown and shake my head.... fuc k man.

I hope thing's arent as bad as they initially seem, and I wish you the best of luck.

On that note.... I can't seem to remember but what was the root cause of your first engine going dead?

I distinctly remember it being oil blowby, but would you happen to know what was causing it to begin with?

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a disaster. I thought I was having a bad week. Guess I can be happy to have a working engine (knock on wood).

I guess we should always ask about what oil you were running and if you had run low recently?

Cmon Stu WTF!! That's always the worry with these boxer engines. Once you modify the vehicle for more power stock or forged internals etc. they just won't last. I baby the shit out of mine for the fear of this, but of course I also like to have some fun. The stock 2.5 is a great engine until you decide to increase the pressure. No auto cross, drag strip unless you got some serious coin to spend. Good luck STU! Hope all pans out for the positive.

And yeah FBs are not a stout motor by the way. The angled rods are very weak. Add forced induction to a BRZ and start the stop watch...it's only a matter of time before the motor goes.

i've seen people say this before, but they use offset rods in loads of diesel engines. so the design can take the torque just fine, the question is what kind of safety factor Subaru has built into them.

No auto cross, drag strip unless you got some serious coin to spend. Good luck STU! Hope all pans out for the positive.

come on man autoX is barely any tougher on your car than street driving, especially on the motor the motor doesn't hardly get it's neck rung half the time

Archived