LegacyGT.com

:(...For the Love of LGT

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
come on man autoX is barely any tougher on your car than street driving, especially on the motor the motor doesn't hardly get it's neck rung half the time

If you're not bouncing off the rev limiter at least a few times, you're doing it wrong ;):lol:

Thanks for the support everyone. First engine failure was from a cracked ringland and the piston started to break apart slightly. As for this we won't know until I get it all out. Had a hard time sleeping last night and I'm already second guessing myself on what to do. Of course I can't jump to conclusions but I think too much. A majortiy of the miles on this build were me just cruising and I did 1 autoX session with it. Oil changed regularly 15w-50 if you want to know. All Blackstone samples were great.

Just one of those things where you just have to put your hands in the air and think "really?!?!"

I talked with an insurance friend because before I took it home from the shop after my front end collision they had mentioned an odd screetch noise that would periodically happen. Figuring it was a throwout bearing on the clutch. My friend suggested I take off the timing covers and see if there is any damage behind them because if something did indeed get pushed back into there causing timing to skip then I may be able to reopen the insurance case. My car has only moved 15-20miles from the shop, which is basically the drive home and then a few weeks ago I drove it around the block a few times is all but there was no noticeable sounds or codes or inconsistent readings on my AP.

I highly doubt you threw a rod, spun a bearing or dropped a valve on startup. I would do as your friend suggested and pull the timing cover to have a look. It's possible that the belt was damaged from the accident and it just finally decided to shred itself inside the cover which could make quite a racket on that plastic cover. Hopefully it's still relatively intact and you didn't skip a tooth.

Did you get any other unhappy noises after the initial one before you were able to get it shut down, or did you notice? Just trying to brainstorm other things it could have been, or help figure out what's going on. Hopefully it's nothing too serious...

You could also consider dropping the oil pan before you pull the engine, see if you can see anything obvious from underneath.

Cww516 the initial whammy back in 2013 was after downshifting, giving some heavy throttle, and then it felt like I ran into a giant puddle of water. The car surged extremely hard and lights lit up the dash board. Thinking it was a bad coil pack, but the result was much worse after doing the compression tests. Thats when I reddid literally everything. New block, rods, pistons, valves you name it.

So after a year without the car...Some of us that have been here awhile..waited for me to complete it since I had it left in Seattle to be built. Picked it up last April and drove it all over the place. Everything felt great. Then this past Sept? Or Oct? I didn't brake fast enough and hit a vehicle infront of me resulting in me deciding to do the JDM conversion at the time. Car has sat in the garage since getting it back from the shop. Iirc is havent moved it more than 20miles

As for yesterday it was right after I started the car and 3-5secs of idle then a odd noise and then then it was REALLY loud rumble and shaking I shut it off immediately. It wasn't normal at all

This doesn't sound like a "misfire" it's something contacting in a bad way. I've experienced a misfire before and due to a hose on my manifold being loose from the BOV. This isn't something I can describe in the same way.

I have so much on the table idk when I'll start. First get the covers off so I'll have to removed the obstacles in the way to get to see the passenger side.

I recently have had some issues with my back so that leaning forward at times causes it to lock and been in and out of the chiropractor office since the start of the year.

On top of paying in taxes this past year, planning for a trip to NYC in June. Saving for a new home this fall. I don't want to spend time on the car when my mind is focused elsewhere. As we all have seen I don't have a problem with it sitting for extended periods of time. I'm patient and wont make a hasty emotional decisions.

I don't have a timeline for things. Here's what I thought about alot on today

Step 1- get covers off and take a look at the belt.

Step-2 drain the oil.. Probably send it off to Blackstone and running the rest through a nylon to see if it catches any flakes of noticeable metal bits.

Step-3 get the engine out and prepare for the worst and see what's inside.

Step 4- See what things are going to cost and take it from there. Maybeeeee a part out idk.

Lots of unknowns. I'll take my time, as most have seen before I don't have a problem with waiting.

Good question. I actually did and it's definitely a clack clack. Not a small tiking sound like a normal Subaru startup. My ears are pretty in tune and so are my buddies and his words were "Oh f*ck..."

I know it sounds stupid and some people are like well it can't be any sound. But there's some things you just know aren't right, this is one of them. The type of sound that makes yours eyes widen and panic, palms get sweaty and your heart starts to race from aniexty.

I had my headgasket go on my 91' Legacy. I had noticed a few weeks before the milky colored oil on the dipstick and new what was gonna happen, just not when. Was giving someone a ride home and was in the middle of traffic, wasn't paying much attention to the temp gauge but before I caught it *knock knock knock* By the time I got it out of the traffic it was already started to smoke a bit. I ended up scrapping it because it had too much other work that needed done. I still miss it today though. It was an agile little car. I'd imagine it's more of a heartache in a car that wasn't just a beater but one you've put a lot of effort in. Hopefully it's towards the cheaper end of repair.

Terrible news man, but hopefully not the end of this ride. You've taken the 5th gen platform to places not many others have, you're bound to hit a few bumps in the road.

Good luck and hope to hear she's running at full power soon!

Archived