LegacyGT.com

Wasp build Thread

SBT no need to insist on pushing me towards the barrel of a gun... i'm already there.

...ugh.

Sincerely was wondering how this one was going. TL asked a lot of questions in his thread and was wondering if you had any here.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to add something here for you Waspy. Make sure to take your OCV's and soak them in oil until you're ready to install the motor. I had one seized while it was out for 3 weeks, because it became dry too long. It was one of my lessons learned.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Sincerely was wondering how this one was going. TL asked a lot of questions in his thread and was wondering if you had any here.

I've definitley got questions. :lol:

**Again... a good friend of mine is doing most of the work.**

I won't even pretend that i'm doing this on my own... if i was, it wouldve been done a long time ago... via a can of petrol and a match.

I sincerely appreciate all the feedback and constructive criticism i've gotten here... (except for Laff79's wise ass comments. He clearly wants to touch me inside my pants.)

These things take time. I remember the first motor I did on my 240z spurned into a clutch, exhaust system, engine bay paint project and full front end rebuild. It was like a brand new car when I finally got it done.

These things take time. I remember the first motor I did on my 240z spurned into a clutch, exhaust system, engine bay paint project and full front end rebuild. It was like a brand new car when I finally got it done.

This is key to any motor build. :p

Just to add something here for you Waspy. Make sure to take your OCV's and soak them in oil until you're ready to install the motor. I had one seized while it was out for 3 weeks, because it became dry too long. It was one of my lessons learned.

My oil control valves are going to seize???

He's just giving you a heads up, make sure your OCV's are stored correctly...in oil!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Depends on how you plan. May first engine rebuild took me Sunday to Friday night from pulling the V8 to cranking the engine over. That was back in 1975.

I will say I had the heads rebuilt a few month's before I pulled the engine to do the bottom end.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Depends on how you plan. May first engine rebuild took me Sunday to Friday night from pulling the V8 to cranking the engine over. That was back in 1975.

I will say I had the heads rebuilt a few month's before I pulled the engine to do the bottom end.

Yeah, I was 18 and learning all of it for myself, it was totally new territory for me, engine pull and rebuild, suspension rebuild and paint work, with a compressor and spray gun. Overall with everything I did it was about 2 months. Some of that was cash flow management too. :)

Yeah, I was 18 and learning all of it for myself, it was totally new territory for me, engine pull and rebuild, suspension rebuild and paint work, with a compressor and spray gun. Overall with everything I did it was about 2 months. Some of that was cash flow management too. :)

That's a lot of work, must have felt good to drive the car knowing you did all that work.

I drove my 340 Duster for 7 more years. Even took it across the country from NH to CA in March 1977 and back to CT in May of 1980.

I have you both beat. My first motor rebuild was on a 1991 Suzuki Swift GT (1300cc motor). I could literally pull the motor with my on hand, and had it stripped down in just a few hours. I became so good with that car, that I could have that tranny off in 1 hr flat. :lol:

I have you both beat. My first motor rebuild was on a 1991 Suzuki Swift GT (1300cc motor). I could literally pull the motor with my on hand, and had it stripped down in just a few hours. I became so good with that car, that I could have that tranny off in 1 hr flat. :lol:

Sounds like me with the civic race car, 2006, chasing sinking sleeves, I replaced 5 HG's in one summer. I was on a first name bases with the girls at Cometic.

There was a time the tranny felt like it was held in with zippers. We even had the b series tranny matted to the D series block. At the time 1 of 2 that had that set up.

Archived