LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

Did the dealer recreate it in manual mode too? I feel they'd tell me just use automatic mode.

I forgot how to use the manual mode. Will it shift if I forget? What gear were you in?

They didnt ask me to recreate the problem.

When i put it in manual mode i used the paddle shifters. I got up to 4th gear using the shift up paddle. When coming to a stop I did NOT use the shift down paddle. I let the CVT handle it. When I got to the stop line i hit the brakes more firmly an then it stalled and died.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought mine in for inspection too. They didnt find anything mechanically wrong with the car. However, they have 2 new ecu updates for the car (this is only covered under 80k car and not the new extended warranty). So i paid 250 for vehicle diagnostic+new ecu flash+wiper recall. Not bad. The car idle lower(~6krpm) and shifts much smoothly now even with ac on.

That is a good question for the dealer each has their own policy. When I thought my newly replaced ecm was acting up on our tribeca the dealer took it right back and checked it out without any charge, but they also didn't charge us up front for the diagnostic on the original repair.

On our 07 legacy I had to pay a diagnostic fee for the dealer to check out the transmission for a shudder when shifting to 2nd and it was still under the factory 3/36k. So I would say it depends on the dealer and service writer.

I called the dealer yesterday and they are still waiting on the parts to arrive. Dealer mentioned they are handling another customer with a similar issue. Parts for their's were order at the end of June and the part just arrived recently. So it will be about a month.

We are in a Hyundai SantaFe Sport SUV rental for the duration. SWMBO is starting to appreciate sitting up higher.

This warranty work may end up costing me after all!!!:spin::eek:

We got our 2.5i back yesterday. Transmission feels a lot smoother and no longer noisy.

The SW showed us the cost for the repair and it was just shy of 7K. Plus the $800 for the rental.

They made this a painless experience!14d0001bac1a8ce71caba84d99ecfe85.jpg

• 2 months later...
Reading all the posts here and in the Outback forum has gotten me a bit worried about my CVT. Just yesterday I experienced an extreme dip in RPMs while waiting at a light. I've experienced dips before, but this time it felt like the engine nearly stalled as if I dropped the clutch in a manual. It did recover however, but this is unnervingly similar to what others have experienced.

I sent an email to Subaru Canada about this warranty extension and this is what they sent back:

Dear MasterPeon:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru Canada Inc.

There is no program of this nature in Canada at this time. However, if something is released and it is applicable to your vehicle you will receive a notification via first class mail.

Best Regards,

Rachel | Assistant Manager, Customer Loyalty,

Subaru Canada, Inc. | 560 Suffolk Crt., Mississauga, Ontario L5R 4J7

http://www.subaru.ca

So basically, Canadians don't get this. Lucky Americans!

It looks like Subaru Canada has signed on. I received the letter last week. Made service appointment for first week in December. Now have over 180, 000 km.

We got our 2.5i back yesterday. Transmission feels a lot smoother and no longer noisy.

The SW showed us the cost for the repair and it was just shy of 7K. Plus the $800 for the rental.

They made this a painless experience!14d0001bac1a8ce71caba84d99ecfe85.jpg

March 15, 2010 production date? This must have been one of the first off the line.

It looks like Subaru Canada has signed on. I received the letter last week. Made service appointment for first week in December. Now have over 180, 000 km.

That's great news for me. I had an issue with the transmission of my 2010 Outback in the summer. They flushed it ($500) and it seemed to correct the issue, but I'll get them to take another look after hearing this.

Subaru Canada sent out letters this month (November, 2017) saying that the CVT warranty is now ten years (but they did not specify which cars it applies to). Since I have two CVT cars, I asked for information and they wrote that only 2010-2015 models are covered and they gave me a link to FAQs - worth looking at (Link is at end). They have free inspections and they now state that transmission oil changes are required: "The only regular maintenance requirement for the transmission is replacement of the CVT and differential fluids at the following intervals:

2010 to 2011 Vehicles: Replace fluid at 6 years/96,000 km’s (whichever occurs first)

2012 to 2015 Vehicles: Replace fluid at 5 years/100,000km’s (whichever occurs first)."

For the whole list of stuff:

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=21809

I have looked through the present thread and have seen varying opinions on the 100,000 km oil change. It looks like it's necessary to keep the warranty - right?

Edited by crisscross

• 3 weeks later...
Subaru Canada sent out letters this month (November, 2017) saying that the CVT warranty is now ten years (but they did not specify which cars it applies to). Since I have two CVT cars, I asked for information and they wrote that only 2010-2015 models are covered and they gave me a link to FAQs - worth looking at (Link is at end). They have free inspections and they now state that transmission oil changes are required: "The only regular maintenance requirement for the transmission is replacement of the CVT and differential fluids at the following intervals:

2010 to 2011 Vehicles: Replace fluid at 6 years/96,000 km’s (whichever occurs first)

2012 to 2015 Vehicles: Replace fluid at 5 years/100,000km’s (whichever occurs first)."

For the whole list of stuff:

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=21809

I have looked through the present thread and have seen varying opinions on the 100,000 km oil change. It looks like it's necessary to keep the warranty - right?

Oh wow. I wonder if they're going to amend the US maintenance schedule? The only thing it tells us to do is change them around I think ~30k miles if you're towing... Otherwise I've been told from the service department and corporate not to touch it! Apparently, there's a risk of contamination to even do a d&f on it.

Also interesting - Subaru.CA recommends changing the timing belts (check out the EJ model years or the 18 STI) at 100k kilometers. It's much longer for the US specifications - it's 105k miles. That's a substantial difference.

I'm curious if the climate of Canada has something to do with it. Maybe we're more "temperate" in the US. But in the summer we see our share of 100F degree days in NJ, and in the winters we will go below 0F.

Edited by Pilot1226

I have 181,xxx miles on my 2010 Legacy w CVT. I had the Torque Converter replaced a few months back, covered under the extended Warranty for the CVT. Aside from that, I have had zero issues with the transmission, and for the most part, it has been a solid car.

Hello Army Vet,

I took my care in for servicing the cvt. I had experienced significant shuddering of the engine, almost stalling, when coming to a stop. Since I could not reproduce the problem while at the dealer, they refused to make any changes. Also the shuddering has not happened since.

My question is how did the dealer determine to replace the converter? What symptoms was the car showing?

Thanks.

I have 181,xxx miles on my 2010 Legacy w CVT. I had the Torque Converter replaced a few months back, covered under the extended Warranty for the CVT. Aside from that, I have had zero issues with the transmission, and for the most part, it has been a solid car.

I'm also looking for this solution. My legacy 2013 exhibits weird conditions (droning when you leave the gas pedal from 40km/h to 15km/h and overall lag)

Hello Army Vet,

I took my care in for servicing the cvt. I had experienced significant shuddering of the engine, almost stalling, when coming to a stop. Since I could not reproduce the problem while at the dealer, they refused to make any changes. Also the shuddering has not happened since. ��

My question is how did the dealer determine to replace the converter? What symptoms was the car showing?

Thanks.

I'm also looking for this solution. My legacy 2013 exhibits weird conditions (droning when you leave the gas pedal from 40km/h to 15km/h and overall lag)

My 2010 Legacy 2.5i w CVT had started to stall upon coming to a stop, usually on a more abrupt/quick stop, or after traveling up a steep hill. As I would come to a stop, the car would stutter then stall, usually once I was below 15mph or so and the RPM's got down around 1k or below. I brought the vehicle in for an Oil Change and explained what my issue was. They Diagnosed it and replaced the Torque Converter. I had to pay out of pocket for the repair, but the day after I picked up my car from the Dealer, I received the Warranty Extension notice from Subaru (pure coincidence). I filled out the paperwork, made a copy of the Subaru Work Order, then mailed it in. I believe it took like 2 weeks, but I received an Email stating that my Warranty claim had been approved and a few days later I received a check in the mail reimbursing me for the expense.

reman CVT causing a very intermittent engine stumble when coming to a stop... flashing CEL and AWD Light.... car has never done this with the original CVT

da fuq?

Just go back to the dealer and notify them of the problem. Either it's a faulty unit or they did forget something at reassembly.

453747.png