LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

No mechanical breakdown issues for my CVT, had 45,500mi when I traded in. What I could not stand any longer were the drivability issues. The constant DRONE of the engine/transmission when accelerating. The huge lag time when you put the car into reverse. I "drove around" the issues because I was aware of them, but I did not like it. I can say after owning the Legacy with the CVT for 5 years that I will never own another CVT, and that stinks because I really love Subaru. I have a Mazda 6 now with a 6-speed automatic. You want to talk about drivability? No comparison! Will miss the AWD but not the CVT.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mechanical breakdown issues for my CVT, had 45,500mi when I traded in. What I could not stand any longer were the drivability issues. The constant DRONE of the engine/transmission when accelerating. The huge lag time when you put the car into reverse. I "drove around" the issues because I was aware of them, but I did not like it.

Wow! I thought I was the only one who had the lag time to reverse issue. Always gives me the creeps. But it has been stable since day 1.

My "almost stumble and die" CVT is acting pretty much the same for the last 50k. I'm at 100K right now. It almost dies about 2 or 3 times a week, but never does. I doubt I could recreate this for a service writer. It is stable for now. With my luck, it will die next August, a few days after the extended warranty.

I'm going to avoid CVTs next time too.

my original cvt was pretty quick to go in and out of reverse although there ere about 3x where it took longer... new one is very fast as well... but the car has now begun to stall out when coming to a stop... now back at the Subaru dealer... good thing tablet latitude 5175 i5 with keyboard has 14 hour battery life lol...

as for engine droning all cars do it but some engines are better at it (v6 or H6) vs I4 or H4.... i do not find my legacy any worse than any other 4 cyl car that i have driven

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

Did you change out the front and rear diff fluid?

No, do you think that's the culprit? Basically the second I let go of the gas around 40km/h or less, it sounds like something is scraping something spinning, then slows down more than it should. Once I have momentum, it doesn't do that at all.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is my rant, 4 years ago I bought my 2011 Legacy from a Ford dealership as well. I agreed to buy the car and a Ford extended warranty built into the price of the car. Low and behold the TC failed and needed replacement. Ford paid to have done. Now Subaru of America is offering to do the same. The extended Ford warranty cost me $1400 and this was figured in with the price of the car. I wonder if I should be paid for some expenses if not all from SOA?:spin:

• 3 weeks later...

Just hadmy 2012 legacy in to have timing belt, plugs, pcv, front and rear diff flush, oils change, and a good once over less than a month ago.

Sunday my wife was driving on the highway and all the dash lights lit up and she said it was like driving on rumble strips. Was able to slow down immediately and get off the highway and have it towed to the dealer.

Waiting to hear back from they but they think it might be the cvt

• 1 month later...
Just hadmy 2012 legacy in to have timing belt, plugs, pcv, front and rear diff flush, oils change, and a good once over less than a month ago.

Sunday my wife was driving on the highway and all the dash lights lit up and she said it was like driving on rumble strips. Was able to slow down immediately and get off the highway and have it towed to the dealer.

Waiting to hear back from they but they think it might be the cvt

Hope to hear what happened and that ur all okay...(car included)....how many miles on car?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I have nearly 100k on my 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. I was wondering if anyone had passed the 100k mark and what would be needed for maintenance/service or anything I should have done or examined with my car being that it's my first CVT car.

I'm not mechanically inclined and don't know too much but I know this is the time when normal autos have a timing belt and water pump done....ADVICE?

What to do? I plan to keep this car for many years to come. Ty.

SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED.[emoji120]

I have nearly 100k on my 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. I was wondering if anyone had passed the 100k mark and what would be needed for maintenance/service or anything I should have done or examined with my car being that it's my first CVT car.

I'm not mechanically inclined and don't know too much but I know this is the time when normal autos have a timing belt and water pump done....ADVICE?

What to do? I plan to keep this car for many years to come. Ty.

SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED.[emoji120]

Not really the right thread to post in but here:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html

Basically, your timing belt needs to be replaced very soon. If it was my car, I'd do it now. Broken timing belt is a Very Bad Thing and while people have run them to 140k that would drive me crazy. Find a reputable 3rd party shop that knows Subaru, it will be more affordable than the dealer.

My dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree during my commute to work. There were steady check engine and VDC lights and flashing AT Temp, Brake, and Cruise control lights(see link below). I was able to drive to the dealer and they replaced the entire CVT and torque converter under the 100K extended warranty. I am the original owner of the car and never had a hint of any issues prior to this occurring. I was happy that my dealership and SOA took care of the problem, but to be honest, I will think twice before buying another car with a CVT.

https://imgur.com/a/Yyssy

I wouldn't worry about a cvt personally, the first generation was bound to have a learning curve to it and the newer ones seem to be holding up really well. Now if they could stop faking gear changes and let the darn thing do what it was meant to do.

I would feel a lot better about my CVT if it had a fluid change interval in the manual to be honest. 60k would be fine for me. But I am freaking out about it because there have been a lot of posts. The new head gasket problems...

Back to square one. Wish I kept the 09 Legacy. :/ or got a stick!