LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

Does the engine actually almost stall or does the engine stumble because the rpm drops 50rpm?

A few owners have assumed the stumble is the engine almost stalling, but if one looks at the tach its only dropping ~50 rpm. This stumble is normal for 2.5i even with the manual transmission. If the engine actually stalls and need to be restart or the rpm drop really low and nearly stall, its the problem with the torque converter which is known and much bigger issue.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually heard those stories, and a lot of customers at subaru came in and said the same thing I did. Mine actually doesn't drop 50 rpms from it's usual idle of 600-800rpms. It drops down to 200rpms, and at one point it actually dropped to zero and started itself back up.

If the idle is impacted it's the torque converter or possibly the lock-up clutch that's bad. I suspect the torque converter.

Torque converter has been replaced twice. (both warranty, and both times it stopped with the idle drop.) At this point I'm just going to wait until my transmission gives, and then take the insurance money and get a built 5EAT, and then maybe I'll be able to start adding performance modifications.

Torque converter has been replaced twice. (both warranty, and both times it stopped with the idle drop.) At this point I'm just going to wait until my transmission gives, and then take the insurance money and get a built 5EAT, and then maybe I'll be able to start adding performance modifications.

You would probably just get a lock-up in the torque converter and then get stranded in the worst possible location or just not being able to crank the engine.

453747.png

Any of you know why our torque converters only last about 30k once it's been replaced one time? I change the fluid in my CVT about once every 15k because even though I want it to die, I don't want to be stranded too far from the shop or home. I'm wondering if maybe the shop that it's had it replaced at, used remanned parts. Like I said, I've had it since 86k. I worked for Subaru up until about 4 weeks ago when the company who sells the cars, switched me to their kia dealership, and I had access to subarunet where I could find all the history on my car. It's had a multiple blowout, torque converter has been replaced twice, the car is rumored to have frame damage from the previous owner, (I've pulled this car apart and put it back together, twice and I still haven't found the frame damage that's supposedly in the firewall. I did dispute the frame damage with car fax and it's being "investigated" from what the dealer told me, which probably means no one is doing anything about it.)

This car has A LOT of problems, and I've been replacing all types of parts since last year. But, every time I replace a part, I feel nothing but pride in the car and in myself. So, I just can't get myself to get rid of it. That and ever since this switch to kia, I've been making 300 less a week and my credit card has been used to pay bills and buy groceries, and because of that, my credit is in the shitter. Whatever though, you deal with life's blows.

• 2 weeks later...
This car has A LOT of problems, and I've been replacing all types of parts since last year. But, every time I replace a part, I feel nothing but pride in the car and in myself.

my credit is in the shitter. Whatever though, you deal with life's blows.

I saw your thread where the engine is burning oil and you mentioned that the interior was falling apart in VIP. I am guessing the exterior condition matches the rest of the car..

I would not continue to pour money into poorly maintained car. I assume that you got a deal on this car as rough trade in from the Subaru dealer that your worked for, but I would be looking to spend as little as possible while you work on an exit strategy. Life might give you a lemon, but it doesn't mean you need to continue eating lemons, you have figure out how make them into lemonade. Trying to fix up a car in poor mechanical and cosmetic shape is only going to further tax your financial situation.

Even a car with problems doesn't look so bad if it looks well cared for, clean it up nice and try your best to keep it that way. As far as the torque converter subaru should have extended the warranty on that when it was repaired each time. Good luck with your situation I know it isn't an uncommon one.

• 4 weeks later...

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited

Do most of my own maintenance.

Car was great until I recently hit 105k miles and now I'm having nothing but problems. Seems like everything is going at the same time. Steady stall on abrupt stops which I'm attributing to the torque converter. On top of that looks like I'm going to have to replace the head gasket. Was very surprised it would be bad at 105k, thought I would get close to 150k before that. If I want to dump a bunch of money into it I guess now is the time to do it since I'll be taking the engine out to replace the gaskets. Might as well do the water pump, replace belts, hoses, maybe radiator, spark plugs, and on top of that fix the torque converter. Trying to decide if I should just fix the heads and trade it in or fix everything and drive it for another 50k. That being said no CVT issues at all. Seems like that's the one thing that was full proof on this car. Think Subaru might have extended the warranty to 100k too after these torque converter problems, unfortunately I was past that.

Edited by bonjovijanitor

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited

Steady stall on abrupt stops which I'm attributing to the torque converter...That being said no CVT issues at all.

:confused:

I have a steady stall on abrupt stops too, which I 100% attribute to the CVT. 120k mi

:confused:

I have a steady stall on abrupt stops too, which I 100% attribute to the CVT. 120k mi

Well yes the torque converter is part of the transmission. I guess in my mind I view the torque converter as a separate part, so that's why I say the CVT itself is fine.

the torque converter is what goes first in the CVT.

abrupt stalls are the torque converter not getting out of lock up.

My torque converter went at 105,000. new one was around $1800 I think- only lasted 11 months, 23,000 miles. needed a new tranny. $7,000 from dealer. I got a used tranny and had a local place install it for under $2,000. I wouldn't bother getting the torque converter replaced. I would just put a used tranny with low miles in it.

My 2013 Legacy started acting up around 83k...sounded like a distinct differential whine to me...the dealer "couldn't hear it" and told me "they all sounded like that". That was Jones in Bel Air, MD for anyone wondering. Well started sounding a lot worse @ 109k and was then told I needed a reman trans for $7500...

I have all nearly 100% highway miles and that car has been babied...it's absurd to have a failure that expensive in a 25k car...thank god I still had my 2000 Honda Civic running with 213k miles on the original trans, engine, and rear wheel bearings (yea those went on my Legacy too)...SOA finally offered me $2500 towards the $7500...yea thanks but no thanks.

Ended up sourcing a used one thru a local Transmission shop w/16k miles that came with a 2 year 24k warranty...installed w/tax for $2800...oh and it's eating oil too...wasn't going to even bother having them address that - but am now reconsidering as my VIN falls under the suit and is still covered for another 10 months...not real happy with SOA after all this.

• 4 weeks later...

Update

My 2013 2.5i Prem with 70k miles. Just did front and rear diff fluid for the first time. The rear diff fluid was pitch black the front diff fluid was still somewhat clear.

The CVT trans is holding up. The power seems better. Still debating to change the CVT trans fluid at 100k miles. I don't believe any fluid is to be lifetime.

My oil consumption got allot better since I swapped out Subaru brand oil to Ardeca brand. Since that the yellow oil light never came back on between oil changes.

Edited by amusa

• 2 months later...

I own a 2013 Legacy Premium with the 2.5i engine. The transmission seized up while I was driving at highway speeds in traffic (about 70mph). Without warning the car comes to an abrupt halt. All 4 wheels lock up and I am almost rear ended by the other motorists behind me. My car is now sitting in the right lane of traffic on the highway. It happened so quickly I could not steer it to the side of the road. I was able to put it in neutral and push it over to the shoulder. I have it towed home, and then the next morning to a Subaru dealer.

I just heard back from the Subaru mechanic. He tells me the torque converter failed and the transmission needs to be replaced. Installation of a new CVT transmission runs $7,500 or more. Subaru offers a 5 year - 60,000 mile power train warranty. My car has 58,300 miles on it! Had I driven this thing for another month or two it would have gone over the 60k warranty and I would have been screwed! Great that Subaru is honoring the warranty, but a transmission should not fail at 58K. And the replacement cost is outrageous! Subaru recommends the transmission be serviced at 100k. Year right!! CVT Transmissons are crap. Avoid them if you can. My car has had every service performed on Subaru's recommended schedule. I do not drive it harshly. I am pleased with the customer service from Subaru, but I am not pleased with the product they sold me.

When I get my car back next week with the new transmission installed, its going on the market. Time to by a new car again :mad:

Edited by JohnnieNotHappy

I own a 2013 Legacy Premium with the 2.5i engine. The transmission seized up while I was driving at highway speeds in traffic (about 70mph). Without warning the car comes to an abrupt halt. All 4 wheels lock up and I am almost rear ended by the other motorists behind me. My car is now sitting in the right lane of traffic on the highway. It happened so quickly I could not steer it to the side of the road. I was able to put it in neutral and push it over to the shoulder. I have it towed home, and then the next morning to a Subaru dealer.

I just heard back from the Subaru mechanic. He tells me the torque converter failed and the transmission needs to be replaced. Installation of a new CVT transmission runs $7,500 or more. Subaru offers a 5 year - 60,000 mile power train warranty. My car has 58,300 miles on it! Had I driven this thing for another month or two it would have gone over the 60k warranty and I would have been screwed! Great that Subaru is honoring the warranty, but a transmission should not fail at 58K. And the replacement cost is outrageous! Subaru recommends the transmission be serviced at 100k. Year right!! CVT Transmissons are crap. Avoid them if you can. My car has had every service performed on Subaru's recommended schedule. I do not drive it harshly. I am pleased with the customer service from Subaru, but I am not pleased with the product they sold me.

When I get my car back next week with the new transmission installed, its going on the market. Time to by a new car again :mad:

Congratulations on being the prime example of why automakers offer warranties. There is no single car on the planet where every example is problem free. The number of owners who have experienced your problem are such a tiny number that it is impossible to take your blanket statements and apply them across all Legacies or any other vehicles with CVTs in them.

But by all means, feel free to create an account on a forum simply to post just once how much you hate the transmission and that you're going to sell the car next week. I'm sure you're convincing us the errors of our ways.

BTW, fun fact: Subaru of America is actually pretty understanding of problems like these and it is well known that they will offer "good will repairs" in some situations where something like this happens outside of a warranty period.

Edited by Ellesedil