LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks - 2010+ Legacy Fitment

The shipping would be less if you cut the struts open and pull out the internals.

leighos, I have a set of struts sitting in my garage that I could cut and drill for you, all ready for you to bolt the Konis in. I am in California, so the shipping might be even less.

The shipping would be less if you cut the struts open and pull out the internals.

leighos, I have a set of struts sitting in my garage that I could cut and drill for you, all ready for you to bolt the Konis in. I am in California, so the shipping might be even less.

That would be awesome!

Sent from my ZUK Z1 using Tapatalk

Koni rears went in tonight, set to full soft the car feels amazing already, can't wait to get the fronts done.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/ba30565bf2c87198e287091b572dfae2.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/8d601d07bc01b0b7513931c537cb241e.jpg

Sent from my ZUK Z1 using Tapatalk

Driver rear tyre caught a bolt the other night. Noticed the Cooper CS4 tyres were pretty worn down, so i fitted a set Bridgestone Turanzas 215/55/17 that i bought from my father who never used them. Stock size is 215/50/17, therefore, height increased by ~10cm and rather nice ride height difference and big difference in noise. Am convinced that one of the Coopers had a flat spot

A note on the Cooper CS4 - these came with the vehicle when i purchased it 2 years ago. I rotated every 6k miles, and driven about 37k miles on them. They always lost pressure in the cold, tyre pressure light lit up often and had to pump them up everyday. For all season M&S rating, snow traction was not the greatest.

Here's an interesting development.....

Apparently, as I mentioned before, the FA500 model, does not come with front camber plates as the person did my order mentioned. As such, Fortune Auto is now looking for a reference vehicle to measure the top hats to create the camber plates for my car.

So, I may be the first Legacy GT with FA500 camber plates....

Or..... I'll just go with the backup plan.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Are you certain the front's are the same as the 02-07 WRX?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

I am not absolutely certain, but I seem to remember a few years ago that that's what was mentioned many times in this section because some guys wanted Group N tophats. A quick measurement should tell you if you know anyone with an 02-07 Impreza.

Edit: Actually, I can probably measure because the 02-07 Impreza uses the same tophats as 03-08 Forester, and I have one of those at my house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just ordered my Konis! $560 shipped from thmotorspots. Can't beat that price!

I'll be selling my gt worx/billsteins with a year and a half of use and about 16,000 miles within the next month or so. They were a great shock, especially when cornering, but they're a bit too stiff for the beat up Minnesota roads. Anyone with interest in them, let me know.

hey gteaser/anyone that has actually cut their donors open. the walkthrough link in the 1st post of this thread shows a measurement of 46mm from the top of the donor strut. does this measurement apply to the 5th gen?

i saw the measurement in gteasers later post of 11 7/8 to 12" from the bottom of the inside of the donor. in order to measure from the bottom of the inside, wouldnt you have to make 2 cuts on the donor? one to open it up, then a 2nd to get it to the final length after you measure from the bottom of the inside?

or should i just be following these instructions from koni? will these numbers be incorrect since its technically meant for the wrx?

"Using a tape measure or ruler on the NEW KONI insert measure the distance from the bumps on the body to the top of the body (where the chrome rod come out). Write down this measurement. Subtract 7mm (about 1/4 “) from this measurement. Then, using the calculated value, measure down the distance from the top of the original strut to that calculated value and mark a line around the factory strut."

edit #15... just remembered the only difference between the legacy and wrx strut is the spring perch height. therefore, shouldn't the dimensions in konis instructions be correct?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by Bootyologist

If you are using a hack saw, just cut 2x. Less chance for error. And measure multiple times.

I use a pipe cutter and cut about 1-1/4" below the silver cap. It mushrooms the metal so I need to grind off some. After I cut I measure on the inside and mark the 11-7/8" to 12" on the outside. Then I sneak up in that mark by grinding off the last 1/4" +/- off with a bench mounted belt sander.

If you err in any direction, 1/8" shorter won't be the end of the world, too long and you'll never get the Koni all the way in. That's why I prefer my method over a hack saw, less chance of messing up because I am taking my time and can keep checking my measurement before it's too late. Most of the people who mess it up are using a hack saw and trying to only cut once.

Edited by GTEASER

sounds good, thanks man!

just curious, how does a guy remove the insert from the donor when they need to be replaced?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Helluv easy. Remove the bottom allen head bolt, get a regular hardened bolt with the same thread pitch but about 40mm long, screw it in until it bottoms out in the insert, hit it with a hammer, the insert will pop right out.

Guys these things are selling out VERY quickly, faster then anyone anticipated. I had a friend already have to look around because he struggled to find someone with stock. So far Emnotek still has the fronts but Revsports, thmotorsports and others no longer have them and are selling the complete front strut.