LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks - 2010+ Legacy Fitment

Big shout out to GTeaser for posting all the info about the Koni's. I bought 4 last night and can't wait to get the suspension dialed in!

2nd that! A wealth of knowledge that's given me the confidence to tackle a job I've never done before.

Just waiting now to get a set of donor front struts so I can build up and swap without too much down time on my daily, cant seem to find anyone with a worn out set for sale (here in NZ) and I don't want to spend a fortune on new just to cut up!

Sent from my ZUK Z1 using Tapatalk

2nd that! A wealth of knowledge that's given me the confidence to tackle a job I've never done before.

Just waiting now to get a set of donor front struts so I can build up and swap without too much down time on my daily, cant seem to find anyone with a worn out set for sale (here in NZ) and I don't want to spend a fortune on new just to cut up!

Many of us Are using our own as donors, provided they are in good shape you already have what you need :-)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

You can do the rear install at any time, it's fairly straight forward because it is just a "swap out the old, swap in the new" procedure. Easy in half a day with the help of a buddy. You don't even need spring compressors, well maybe if using stock springs. I installed my rear Koni's almost 2 weeks before I installed the fronts, but I already had my H&R springs installed all the way around so I wasn't a lowrider or running mismatched springs.

The fronts, with the help of a buddy, can be done in a day as well. Run thru the procedure in the Koni Insert thread in your mind over and over, have extra hack saw blades available and a bench top belt sander or grinder handy, make sure you have a vise to clamp the struts into, have spring compressors and be sure to have all the sizes of sockets, wrenches and drill bits you need. It can be done. I cut drill and build a set of Konis in about 2-3 hours myself. I can swap out the front struts in about 2 hours myself, a little longer and you need a friend if compressing springs. Even if things go wrong or move slowly, you can get her done in a weekend.

Don't forget to use new front tophats if you have more than 100k miles on your car.

Think he's in the same boat as I am, can't run the risk of not getting it all done in a weekend. Not that it's all that hard to do, but if you end up having to cut a bolt off and have no way to get to the store to get a replacement, you're kinda hosed.

Also, not to be a downer, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Koni continuing the inserts just for us. Even if they use the same housing or valving elsewhere, it'd still have to be a custom build if they don't want to sit on a bunch of inventory. Maybe they'd consider broadcasting the fact that the inserts will work with the 5th gen Legacy for a little while, see if that drums up enough interest for them to consider continuing to build a couple sets every so often.

Sounds good, but I also want to paint the empty struts before the inserts go in. We have a fairly strict vehicle inspection system here (called warrant of fitness) and I wanted to keep the install looking tidy and matching the rears to keep the inspectors happy, we actually need a modification certification here for coilovers but I think inserts are acceptable (hard to find definitive answer) but just in case they don't like the idea of me hacking into my struts, I thought I'd attempt to make it look like they were Koni strut assys, even with the little decals ;-)

And yes, have ordered new top hats as my legacy has done 200k km (125k miles)

I swapped all four corners in a day. If you aren't looking to paint them it's easy.

Just out of complete curiosity... How bad of an idea would it be to use bilstein/blacks for the rear, and use koni/blacks for the front? The ride height should be the same since the springs arent changing. I'm sure it's a terrible idea, but just a thought.

Just out of complete curiosity... How bad of an idea would it be to use bilstein/blacks for the rear, and use koni/blacks for the front? The ride height should be the same since the springs arent changing. I'm sure it's a terrible idea, but just a thought.

Probably not the end of the world, but I wouldn't. The rear is where you really want the adjustability of the Konis.

You can't just buy rear Bilsteins, so why would you buy the entire set of 4 and only use 2. :spin:

Edited by GTEASER

Probably not the end of the world, but I wouldn't. The rear is where you really want the adjustability of the Konis.

You can't just buy rear Bilsteins, so why would you buy the entire set of 4 and only use 2. :spin:

I already have the bilstein n blacks and they are a terrible setup for minnesota roads. Was wondering if i could temporarily cheap out and just do the fronts since they were just discontinued. id then do the rears later. I just bought raptors and still have the rest of the exhaust to throw money at, hence the lack of funds. Im probably gonna roll the dice on the tein flex z coils in the spring.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I already have the bilstein n blacks and they are a terrible setup for minnesota roads. Was wondering if i could temporarily cheap out and just do the fronts since they were just discontinued. id then do the rears later. I just bought raptors and still have the rest of the exhaust to throw money at, hence the lack of funds. Im probably gonna roll the dice on the tein flex z coils in the spring.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Buy fronts n let them sit. That's what I'm doing

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I was planning on waiting a little bit longer to do the suspension, but now I have 4 Konis and a 22mm RSB with end links on their way. Konis getting paired with the Eibachs I have sitting on the shelf.

How is the ride quality? Can it be as soft as stock? Not gonna lie kinda like the supple feel of my LGT compared to my WRX. Little extra stability would be nice tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On full soft it's like it should have been from the factory, they control the springs much better. I'm running rather stiff H&R springs and they need a little extra damping, so I run them as stated above. Actually ran them firmer for a long time but recently softened them a bit to the above settings.

The tophats arent cracked but they have soem rust which can be cleaned up. I just happened to have a pic of the whole set but yes, the rears are worthless.

The entire set is pretty worthless to me being lowered so hopefully someone else can put the to good use.

The tophats arent cracked but they have soem rust which can be cleaned up. I just happened to have a pic of the whole set but yes, the rears are worthless.

The entire set is pretty worthless to me being lowered so hopefully someone else can put the to good use.

I'd want those front struts, but shipping to where I am will be a killer!

I'd want those front struts, but shipping to where I am will be a killer!

Shoot me a PM with your location and I can weigh them and get some quotes if you really want them. I can take them apart to save weight and scrap the rest.