LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

When we're getting pressure from a lot of people to get this thing banged out, it's great to see so many of you willing to wait a bit longer than expected for the best possible product.

That's because we're the mature ones. :cool:

That's looking excellent guys! And it looks like if you use some vasoline, you can just barely squeeze the crawford aos in there nicely. ;)

As for the ports, personally I think you guys should just not deal with it. Makes it easier for you guys, and gives customers more options for their unique setups whether that's meth, SD, multiple nozzles, etc. Looks like you have LOTS of flat surfaces to drill and tap.

:dm:

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer to weld a bung on versus tapping 1/8" aluminum, but that's just me.

Generally, in soft metals, you want 1.5x the diameter for thread depth - 1/4" fitting needs a 3/8" deep threads - to help prevent stripping.

Thank you all for being so supporting and understanding. When we're getting pressure from a lot of people to get this thing banged out, it's great to see so many of you willing to wait a bit longer than expected for the best possible product.

Take all the time you need! There are quite a few of us who know this TMIC will be well worth the wait!!!

Yes just do the what most of us want, if someone wants to add more bung's they can on their dime not all of our's. Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Since you're casting the production endtanks, maybe leave that surface thick enough to be tapped so no bung is required? Or maybe cast in a bung blank like Cobb did here:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/mickeyd2005/IMG_8772.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just wait for the FMS knockoff if you want it fast!

Yeah - I'm sure that's already deep into post-R&D, production planning...Read: Measure, copy, build GSes's version for a fraction of the cost and flood the market with cheap off-shore-built knock-offs, that neither fit nor function properly...ever.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Haha, I'm blown away by how many of you have signed up to get updates and notifications of the TMIC! Honestly, I was only expecting 10-20 people!

To answer your question, here's how I'm thinking the intercooler and options will probably break down.

TMIC Package - $XXX

- TMIC welded assembly

- 2-bolt to 2in turbo adapter

- silicone coupler clamps for inlet

- silicone coupler and clamps for outlet to TB

- BPV recirc hose extension with clamps

- OPTION: Thermal dispersant coating - $XXX

- OPTION: Thermal barrier film for end tanks (gold, apply yourself) - $XXX

Splitter - $XXX

- this may/will require multiple fitments for a couple of the different cars, so it'll need to be sold separately

STI-style turbo coupler - $XXX

- used with stock location turbos that don't have the 2-bolt outlet

I used both the thermal dispersant coating on the core and thermal barrier film on the end tanks of my 02-07 last week and made just a hair under 600whp without sweat on an unhealthy motor. Will rebuild and push it further in the next month or so. This stuff is NOT snake oil, but of course, the choice is yours!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

Hey, I have some gold heat foil left over...got it from Pegious Racing. Put it on the under side of the stock turbo heat shield.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

My red IPR tmic on my wagon has it...will I paid for it. How would you ever really know it was there ?

So I saw this today:

Does the huge amount of people signing up mean we're going to get a better group buy price? http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Yep!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

So I figured if you haven't already it wouldn't hurt to sign up for the email subscription for updates and added interest!!!

Alright fellas, thanks to the suggestion of one of your comrades, here's a link to an email subscription list that I created. This will ONLY be used to notify you guys of major updates and the group buy when it's opened. No pesky newsletters or lame announcements, I promise. Help us plan for the initial release by adding yourself to the list!

** CLICK HERE - GrimmSpeed 08+ TMIC Interest List! **

Thanks guys!

Matt Beenen

Engineering