LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grimmspeed, how bout an update...throw us a tiny bone as to how its coming so that we have a reason to keep checking this thread daily, lol.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4719116&postcount=152

They posted an update 13 working days ago btw. If they were JUST creating a TMIC for us legacy peeps I would be more inclined to be more in touch with them, but I can see their R&D being very alot of the time.

Cheers

No real update, but some info:

I know you guys are still working in "Options" but will the new TM be compatible with current aftermarket OEM throttle body hoses?

I don't have a whole lot in the way updates that I can share just yet, but I wanted to chime in and answer this. Our design will replace the OEM throttle body hose and will be a completely custom design. Hope that helps!

If you're having trouble with your OEM piece in the mean time, I found that removing the two lips that are glued on seemed to help with my leaking issues.

Matt Beenen

Engineering

News!!!

good news fellas! I got the specs for the core nailed down this weekend and it's looking pretty healthy. Dimensions are 17.50 x 8.60 x 3.50in. Total volume is 526.75in^3, which is a 25% increase over another similarly styled tmic (15.75 x 7.5 x 3.54in) and a 40% increase over tmics that are closer in design to the oem unit. More importantly, internal flow area is increased 50%, from 7.48sqin to 11.21sqin, which is what will help us handle charge temps better in high rpm (heavy cfm) situations. Our dense, precision manufactured, design will facilitate high efficiency and maximum heat transfer without sacrificing massively in the way of pressure drop.

Also, temps in mn are supposed to rise above zero f today, so spring is just around the corner!

One fun fact is that this core will weigh around 13lbs. One piece of criticism that a lot of people seem to have for aftermarket tmics is their weight. It's important to understand that bar and plate intercooler cores are inherently heavier than a tube and fin style core. So, you can expect that any upgraded tmic will be heavier than the stock unit that it's replacing. For most, this gain is an understood cost of having a much more capable intercooler, but if you're shaving ounces and think you can make do with a stock tmic, that may be your best bet.

Matt beenen

engineering

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_08_corecad.jpg

nice thought, but for the cost of adding that for the few people that will use it...is it worth the added cost for all to pay ?

Any welder can add a bung if the owner wants it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Their current one goes for $679 + $199 splitter, wow. That's ~$900 shipped. Some are waiting to avoid that price like the pw unit.

Hopefully the lgt/wrx 08 design will be cheaper,... ah-em, I mean for price conservative people :icon_bigg

I really don't see why everyone is so cought up with the splitters. Does it increase the ammount of air over the full core? Sure. Does it matter for 98% of the daily driven cars on this site? More than likely not.

Perrin TMIC on my '08 - in mixed driving 20 minute commute - stays cool to the touch on the turbo side of things in 60-70 degree weather, up here in the Pacific North West. No splitter, or shroud.

Your Perrin isn't that much bigger than OEM height and width wise (can still use factory engine cover w/ a little modification). For that TMIC - a different hood duct/splitter may not be as advantageous.

If you have a much larger core, then increasing the spread of airflow over the cooling surface will be beneficial. The other thing you are not taking into consideration is that once you increase the size of the core, it hangs closer to the turbo and so you have potential for more heat soak. Why would you buy a more expensive and larger core if you don't plan on getting more performance out of it by ensuring as much airflow over it as possible?

People that are already thinking it is too expensive, should probably stick to their knockoffs that they think are budget friendly. The R&D, quality and attention to detail that GS offers comes with a price tag. Their approach to product development is why I'm even considering replacing the Process West with this offering.

You do list some good points and I've thought about em. But like I said, for most daily driven (non race) Legacy's, I think the gains would be minimal. A good turbo heat shield and a non heat transfering coupling between the turbo and intercooler would make more of a difference. Again...my speculation. How much of an area do you think that the stock air scoop covers? (I have to check really)

Having some GS parts and putting my hands on the others, their attention to detail is really good. I would have picked up their intercooler over the Perrin, if it was out at that time, I just could not wait any more with all the mods that I had lined up. Who knows, I'm on the edge of getting rid of the Perrin and going with the GS once it's out.

*stir the pot*Oh...I do think that the Perrin core is bigger though...*stir the pot*

the perrin and clones are a LOT bigger (internally) than stock. Almost double the size IIRC, but mostly in height.

I have the IPR, and the stock splitter covers everything but the last row, and like dga, it stays pretty darn cool, even in stop and go, despite the metal on metal at the turbo.

I agree the Perrin is bigger than OEM depth wise... just not that much different than OEM in other aspects, which was part of their design - to use the factory splitter along with the engine cover (they have the tabs with the holes for the pop its).

I still don't see why someone would want to have a much larger core (like the one GS is designing), and not spread the flow of fresh air over as much of the fins as possible while driving to cool. You mention bigger changes from couplers and heat isolation. I say why not do it all ;) I use a GS heat shield, lined with DEI reflect a gold, and a PTP turbo blanket, and my PW has a silicone coupler from turbo to inlet.

Doing it all is definitely the way to go. I just think that people really get stuck on the whole splitter ordeal nearly as much as oil, filters, etc., or nearly as me stuck on the "don't care too much about the splitter" deal. :)