LegacyGT.com

BRZ STi - So it begins...

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this on the web earlier with a report that it was going to be a tS instead of a full STi model.

Is there seriously enough room in this engine to extract 50 reliable N/A horsepower?

If there is a significantly more powerful version coming, I expect to see insurance rates skyrocket in response to accident reports of these found "wrapped around a...."

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

What kind of cargo space does one need? Several grocery bags fit, a set of tires/wheels fits with rear 'seats' folded. It's fine 'in the elements', not worse than 95% of cars out there. It's more fun than AWD car in snow up to 3-4in deep with decent winter rubber. If you have kids - yeah, I can see how that's not good enough to be the only car, otherwise it's okay. I've had it as my only car for about a year.

The lack of power will annoy you if you concentrate on power. I just flip a mental switch when I get into the BRZ and enjoy the handling/the feeling of connection to the road.

Yeah, in the back, lol.

In the back? Yeah, that doesn't up the cost.. :rolleyes:

It runs a 15+ second quarter mile, obviously this car is not meant for straight line speed, but it would be nice to break into 14's. I don't think that is too much to ask in this day and age lol

Checkout motortrend test then.

14.9 iirc.

Not that I care. Heck, I just swapped back to stock rubber, since having Michelin PSS on makes the car less enjoyable.

I have one, I do wish they got rid of the dip in the torque curve between 3000 and 5000 rpm. It's almost like having a lot of turbo lag. Now despite having the electronic nannies running, it is still a tail happy car. :)

I suspect the STi version is just going to be the Ts version in other markets. Mostly appearance stuff and suspension. It'll probably be a few more years before they come up with a real STi version, just the like Impreza platform.

Officially the STi that Jalopnik and others are ranting about is "currently" being called the BRZ Ts Concept (STi) in Japan...

It will be officially displayed to the Public for the first time at Round 2 of the "Works Tuning" event at Fuji Speedway Short Course on September 21st...

This event features Tuner cars and competitions from STI, TRD, Mugen & Nismo...

http://www.sti.jp/news/2013/13016.html

http://www.sti.jp/news/2013/wt.jpg

I remember reading that the STi version was going to get 50 more hp out of the NA engine and be 200 lbs lighter. That would be a good power to weight ratio.

I would hope this would be the case. Really it weakens the STi brand not to have some bump in power if they have a BRZ STi. Besides who will pay a premium price for just suspension and wheel upgrades when those are already on the market now? Factory Brembos would be nice though. If they can package it competitively price wise against just buying the car and doing the aftermarket work (BBK, sways/struts/springs, wheels/tire) then I gues it could work.

Price wise they are going to be getting into the 370z range which hurts them, of course.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

What kind of cargo space does one need? Several grocery bags fit, a set of tires/wheels fits with rear 'seats' folded. It's fine 'in the elements', not worse than 95% of cars out there. It's more fun than AWD car in snow up to 3-4in deep with decent winter rubber. If you have kids - yeah, I can see how that's not good enough to be the only car, otherwise it's okay. I've had it as my only car for about a year.

If all you're ever hauling is yourself and a passenger with light luggage or groceries, then I agree, the cargo space would be sufficient. But if you have hobbies which require hauling gear around like camping, skiing / snowboarding, playing in bands etc., it's just not enough cargo space. I'm single and need a compact hatch or a mid-size sedan minimum.

Personally, the cargo space is more of a differentiator between BRZ and WRX than chassis and powertrain. Both cars are fun. If I can only afford or have the garage space for one car, then WRX wins.

If they turbo'd the car they would cannibalize their own market segment (WRX owners).

THIS

If all you're ever hauling is yourself and a passenger with light luggage or groceries, then I agree, the cargo space would be sufficient. But if you have hobbies which require hauling gear around like camping, skiing / snowboarding, playing in bands etc.,

I'll give you a pass on having more than one passenger or playing in bands, that is hauling large gear. Skis, snowboarding, camping is a non-issue, my cross-country skis fit inside the cabin, or you can get a rack. A lot of camping crap fits into the car with rear seats folded.

Both cars are fun. If I can only afford or have the garage space for one car, then WRX wins.

I had a one car garage last year and a BRZ won over a spec.b. And I live exactly where you do.

WRX wins only if you need to carry three-four people and/or _lots_ of cargo. The only 'fun' part of WRX is acceleration, otherwise relative to BRZ it's a boat that feels disconnected from the road. It might be 'fun' relative to some base 4-cyl Camry. It's a fairly cushy DD with some pep. I doubt the next WRX will be much different. A bit less weight, a bit better weight distribution, and bit better handling, but nothing groundbreaking. So in 'fun' BRZ will still win hands down. Right now I intend leaving my BRZ at home when the weather is poor, otherwise it's way more fun even around town.

So I highly doubt that in a hypothetical world where there was a turbo-BRZ many would cross-shop those two. Sure, there would be some, but a lot less than now. Right now, apparently, quite a few cross-shopped a BRZ with a WRX, but I think that just due to the similar price range. A turbo-BRZ would cost more, so the people who aim for it will be different and cross-shop with different cars. More Zs, Mustang GTs, etc.

I doubt that's happening anytime soon, at least in the US. Here Subaru keeps pushing this whole 'love' image, being the tree-hugger's choice of a car. I'm yet to see a single TV ad for a BRZ and it's been a while since I saw an ad for a WRX or STI. A turbo-BRZ could seriously hurt that brand image if it were to make it here, since there would be orders of magnitude more of those wrapped aroung poles and guardrails with 250+ HP.

I can't imagine an H6 would fit in there. It would be neat, but it isn't going to happen. A low displacement turbo 4 makes more sense to me.

Is the 3.0/3.6 that much bigger than the 2.0? I haven't seen under the hood of a BRZ/FR-S to see how much space there is without the engine cover and cladding.

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

Is the 3.0/3.6 that much bigger than the 2.0? I haven't seen under the hood of a BRZ/FR-S to see how much space there is without the engine cover and cladding.

I had a 3.0 OB in my driveway last year. That thing completely filled the engine bay. Made the 2.5 in my current cars look tiny. I don't remember if I've seen under the hood of a BRZ/FR-S in person, but I don't think they engine bay is as big as the Outbacks.

They went from timing belt to timing chains to make the H6 fit in the legacy/outback. That saved them a bit of space up front and were able to add two cylinders and make it fit. The BRZ already has a chain in the H4..

Right now I intend leaving my BRZ at home when the weather is poor, otherwise it's way more fun even around town.

So are you using the BRZ for everything or do you have two cars?

I doubt that's happening anytime soon, at least in the US. Here Subaru keeps pushing this whole 'love' image, being the tree-hugger's choice of a car. I'm yet to see a single TV ad for a BRZ and it's been a while since I saw an ad for a WRX or STI.

They definitely push that. For example, all the dog-centric commericals they have now. Advertising the BRZ or STI doesn't fit within that image. I doubt they care to spend money on advertising anyway. Neither of these cars spend much time sitting in the dealer lot.

Anyway, enjoy your BRZ. I wouldn't mind having one myself. I'm excited that they're bringing an STI version.

I had a 3.0 OB in my driveway last year. That thing completely filled the engine bay. Made the 2.5 in my current cars look tiny. I don't remember if I've seen under the hood of a BRZ/FR-S in person, but I don't think they engine bay is as big as the Outbacks.

It's narrower. They had to lower the center of gravity, so they moved front suspension inward, that ate away some space. They also moved the engine backward. Adding two more cylinders in front would affect the handling.

So are you using the BRZ for everything or do you have two cars?

I got a second car only recently, and not really because I needed it. I drove my BRZ almost exclusively since I got it in May'12, even though I still had my spec.b until last September. Save for some very slippery highways, it was completely adequate during the winter, and more fun.

While the trunk looks pretty small, I was kind of shocked when I picked up my cargo tray. The tray is almost the same size as the tray in my LGT wagon, about 6" less depth. It does lack in the height department compare to the wagon, obviously.

Subaru BRZ Ts Concept (STi)

Last Sunday's Debut at Fuji Speedway...

Tada...

http://www.sti.jp/news/2013/13018/04.jpg

http://www.sti.jp/news/2013/13018/15.jpg

http://www.sti.jp/news/2013/13018/08.jpg

http://www.sti.jp/news/2013/13018/12.jpg

I want the Blue one...

http://www.sti.jp/news/2013/13018/10.jpg

Subaru does not have a historic trend of changing power output significantly. That applies to a new generation, not to mention the second year of production of a new model. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Archived