LegacyGT.com

BRZ STi - So it begins...

I test drove one from subbie dealership and besides the amazing handling and being able to drift it smoothly with little effort I was extremely un-happy with power! I also drove the fr-s version as well same outcome. If this car came with LGT/wrx power it would not have any competition in it price range but then again if it came with that power the price would be closer to a sti I'm sure! Still love to look at them though

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel like its a BIT more practical in terms of driving. You dont NEED 250+whp on the road. The BRZ is great for daily driving and track days. Now that Im thinking about it, I feel like i would get in less trouble in a BRZ than my Spec b..... But then again, I said id never get rid of it either...

I'd put a 4g63 in that mucka lucka.

2JZGTE

or an LSX.

Actually, I'd want an LS12 in it because dat exhaust note.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If it had more power, then it would need stickier tires, then it wouldn't be as easy to drift. Even with all the electronic nannies on, it'll still let you get sideways. I don't regret buying one.

Agreed. I had some grippier rubber on it, and it wasn't half as fun as stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking into buying a new '13 BRZ Limited WRB.

Insurance would only be $170/mon for 20 yr MA resident

Im going to opt to buy the 2013 model because it would prob be cheaper because its already a model year old, and the 2014 model doesnt have any good changes. I heard only head unit (which is a downgrade) and some knee stitching or something.

Now.... just got to sell the Spec b and Ninja :p

http://25.media.tumblr.com/eb06b545e74a60c267a8e88e63a4a1d3/tumblr_mopdv4YTZM1ry4933o1_r1_500.gif

LOL

Also, if you've been driving a 325 whp specB, I am not sure you'll enjoy the BRZ torque curve. Sure, twisties will be fun but...

See these guys review starting @ 5:30 till 8-50. Note what the driver says between 8:21 and 8:50. Pretty interesting.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I love the looks of the brz/fr-s just unfortunately not nearly enough power. Would feel even slower than my s2000 did when it was still NA.

Seems the motors are much better than previous subaru motors which is good for after market turbo options. 350+whp and the thing would be a blast I bet!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

LOL

Also, if you've been driving a 325 whp specB, I am not sure you'll enjoy the BRZ torque curve. Sure, twisties will be fun but...

See these guys review starting @ 5:30 till 8-50. Note what the driver says between 8:21 and 8:50. Pretty interesting.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Cant watch the vid as im in class but i honestly dont go into boost much on my spec b. Too worried something will break but more importantly I dont want to get in trouble nor waste gas.

If i have the brz i can use it for the first few years till people come out with reliable power options... or come out with a boosted brz model in 2015 or later. Then i can just trade it in (or private sale) and buy the newer model. And i would have basically used the best of the car.

why on earth do you even own a spec b. you buy an awesome turbo car, but are afraid to drive it?! they build cars to be driven, not to be treated like trophies. to each their own, but go buy a prius since you dont even use the car as it is meant to be used and save money since that is clearly your main concern.

why on earth do you even own a spec b. you buy an awesome turbo car, but are afraid to drive it?! they build cars to be driven, not to be treated like trophies. to each their own, but go buy a prius since you dont even use the car as it is meant to be used and save money since that is clearly your main concern.

Because I dont drive like asshat and dont want to get 19mpg and would prefer handling as my platform because power can always be added, I should drive a prius?

Get outta town.

If you put BRZ on sticky tires - sure, you'll get too much tire for the power. The OEM setup strikes a very good balance, though. I have no problem enjoying my BRZ after driving a turbo car. Also, with very frequent accelerations to red-line and generally keeping it in 4-5k rpms on the street I get way better MPG than I get in a turbo-Subie.

The handling is fun with them for sure. Just so weak on acceleration that it is frustrating. For a regular commuter car it's fine on power but not even close for a sports car. At least for me that is. They almost got the car right but missed with the power big time. I'm sure eventually they will offer a higher performance boosted model. Sti model but still NA is weak!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

The level of power was probably selected as a compromise to get the car affordable for most people. Track speed is something that only a few are concerned with, and the best way to achieve that in a vehicle and keep it affordable is handling.

Increased engine power is best left to the aftermarket, and that will keep down the insurance cost for the general users.

453747.png

The level of power was probably selected as a compromise to get the car affordable for most people. Track speed is something that only a few are concerned with, and the best way to achieve that in a vehicle and keep it affordable is handling.

Increased engine power is best left to the aftermarket, and that will keep down the insurance cost for the general users.

Drive the car through its warranty. By that time, the forced induction aftermarket will probably have a good handle on how to add some oomph to the car. If not, hopefully by that time there will be news of another boosted brz and i could trade in for that.

Different strokes for different folks.

The BRZ is down on power, but it's not exactly slow either. It's just lacking in mid-range torque.

Motortrend test of BRZ

TEST DATA

ACCELERATION TO MPH

0-30 2.3 sec

0-40 3.3

0-50 4.8

0-60 6.4

0-70 8.5

0-80 10.8

0-90 13.9

0-100 17.4

PASSING, 45-65 MPH 3.4