LegacyGT.com

BRZ STi - So it begins...

I can assure you maybe not in a year but the BRZ will become available with a boosted version in the not TOO distant future and I would be shocked if it didn't get around the 300hp mark stock.

Maybe a ~240ish by MY16, for mid-$30k, and I'd give less than 20% of this happening. 300HP stock? No way.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll hope your wrong. Thing feels so painfully slow so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Or maybe honda will finally come out with a good s2000 replacement that has some more power stock.

Finding it impossible to find an upgrade to my S2000 for under 50 grand even used.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

I hope I'm wrong too, I just don't see it happening with current emissions/CAFE fuel efficiency requirements. Maybe with some kind of performance-oriented hybrid tech or electric. But that's more than 2-3 years away for sub-$40k market.

Finding it impossible to find an upgrade to my S2000 for under 50 grand even used.

Keep it. Or get a newer CR trim.

Yeah someone will do it I just hope sooner rather than later.

CR's are nice but besides being newer it would be a big downgrade unless I got all same or better parts for the CR I have on my AP1.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Regardless of what a Cayman S competitor BRZ/FRS would cost, why would they build it? The only new, cheap, small RWD sports cars available in the US are the BRZ/FRS and the Miata. If there are others, feel free to add them to the discussion, but regardless it is a short list.

If you want a larger and more powerful RWD coupe, you can buy a Mustang / Camaro / 370Z. If you want to spend significantly more money, you can buy a Cayman / Corvette / the list goes on and on and gets much more expensive.

My point is this: where is this car positioned in the market? Why would Subaru or Toyota build a car that essentially has no competitors for its size, performance, and price point? If the OEMs aren't building it, then they have decided that there is no market for it, and that they will not make any money. In the end, this what dictates nearly everything in the industry.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/05/toyota-gt86-convertible-on-indefinite-hold/

Bad news, sportscar fans. According to a new report from What Car?, Toyota has cancelled plans to produce a GT86 convertible, a model based on the FT-86 Open Concept that debuted at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show. In truth, Toyota never actually confirmed it would produce the budget-friendly droptop in the first place, but rumors have been flying since last year and Toyota reportedly showed its embattled Scion dealers a FR-S version of the convertible in August. Presumably, this means that a lidless variant of the Subaru BRZ is not in the cards, either.

The reason for the move is unknown, though What Car? reports "one possible cause is weight; Toyota did say that further work would be required on rigidity before the convertible could be launched, and that could have added extra bulk that conflict with the regular GT86's ethos of light weight and agile handling." It doesn't look like that work will happen anytime soon, as "sources now say that the car has now been delayed indefinitely, with no place in Toyota's product plan in either 2014 or 2015." Still holding out hope? What Car? says the project could be "fast-tracked" if management decides it wants to reboot the program down the road.

Also much number to drive.

Is that the going excuse for the 86 being slow these days?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If you wanted a convertible BRZ, Mazda has been making it for almost a quarter of a decade.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Really the only way to go about this is an H6 opposed to the turbo four or a higher HP n/a four. The only thing that's would be a downfall is the actual length of the engine throwing the weight distribution off a little and the extra weight.

Anyone who's driven a flat six powered car will tell you how well they operate and how smooth they are. That paired with a already great chassis is the way to go. No if, ands or buts.

Really the only way to go about this is an H6 opposed to the turbo four or a higher HP n/a four. The only thing that's would be a downfall is the actual length of the engine throwing the weight distribution off a little and the extra weight.

Anyone who's driven a flat six powered car will tell you how well they operate and how smooth they are. That paired with a already great chassis is the way to go. No if, ands or buts.

Will that still get 33mpg?

I'd love an H6 in a BRZ. But it would require a least a rear-mounted transmission. Otherwise the weight distribution is gonna suck.

Caring about mpg with a performance car just seems silly.

The less mpg I'm getting the more fun I'm having.

The less money i spend on gas, the more money I have for hookers. The more hookers I have, the happier I am.

Therefore mpg->happiness

:cool:

Weight balance. As is, the BRZ is already nose-heavy. ~55/45.

H6 is not only two more cylinders, but more torque, so a lot of other components mounted up front will have to be beefed up. I doubt it could be made to handle good w/o something major being moved to the back.

Weight balance. As is, the BRZ is already nose-heavy. ~55/45.

H6 is not only two more cylinders, but more torque, so a lot of other components mounted up front will have to be beefed up. I doubt it could be made to handle good w/o something major being moved to the back.

It's always possible to move the battery to the back. And since it's RWD it's also possible to move the gearbox, which is a classic "trick" that has been used more than once.

453747.png

My guess is it will just get bigger displacement. Most likely a 2.5l

Im getting a WRB Limited (yes i know, how original) in the Spring.

Unless the concept WRX keeps about 85% of its original concept... we shall find out in Novemeber when its rumored to be revealed in the Los Angelos Auto Show

Archived