LegacyGT.com

ebo03's 2011 LGT - BNR 20G, EWGs, custom FMIC, Brembos, Recaro

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did they come across any issues during install?

The flange where the AVO downpipe connects to the catback is right at the header. They had to grind down the flange to get it to fit. If you have an Invidia exhaust this wouldn't be an issue b/c there is no flange there, just piping. And I think they were going to cut out some of the stock plastic undertray to accomodate the dump tubes.

Used Swaintech White Lightning for my 4th Gen Holy Header. Awesome coating and really, really thick. Baked on chemical process.

Looking forward to seeing what numbers you put down post-tune. IAG's a great shop.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

They finished up at IAG this morning. Power comes on quicker, smoother, and harder than before. The small exhaust housing on the VF54 simply doesn't do well with controlling boost. Made 350/360 today compared to 335/343 with internal wastegate.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/12/8449685ee51272f97d4f664a40b1947f.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/12/45cbb461895fb1d3aab30fa3cc690d2a.jpg

They finished up at IAG this morning. Power comes on quicker, smoother, and harder than before. The small exhaust housing on the VF54 simply doesn't do well with controlling boost. Made 350/360 today compared to 335/343 with internal wastegate.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/12/8449685ee51272f97d4f664a40b1947f.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/12/45cbb461895fb1d3aab30fa3cc690d2a.jpg

Thats a sweet gain. Any vids coming?

Very nice! That's a huge gain in the midrange, and overall nice gains. Cant wait to some vids.

What really shows this header works is its making more power everywhere at up to 5 psi less boost then before. Definitely removed a lot of restriction on the exhaust manifold. Did the 20G/ETS manifold combo have another 1 or 2 psi left in it above 4.5k for more top end gain?

This is with the 20g right not the stx71?

How were things with fueling? Are you running larger injectors/pump?

Just asking now since im sure many others will ask.

Yes BNR 20G. ID 1000s with DW 300Lph pump.

Thats a sweet gain. Any vids coming?

I'll get some vids tomorrow.

Very nice! That's a huge gain in the midrange, and overall nice gains. Cant wait to some vids.

What really shows this header works is its making more power everywhere at up to 5 psi less boost then before. Definitely removed a lot of restriction on the exhaust manifold. Did the 20G/ETS manifold combo have another 1 or 2 psi left in it above 4.5k for more top end gain?

The turbo will make more boost but it doesn't translate to more power, it just makes it work harder. It was creeping before with the IWG so you can see that lower, controlled boost yields more power on this setup. The small exhaust housing on the VF54 is too restrictive for this size compressor wheel to accurately control boost. As you can see from the graphs it was hitting 24psi before with IWG.

Quick fly by. The passing truck killed the sound a bit but you get the idea. At the end of this run a vacuum cap popped off so we ran out of time to get more video. I didn't get a chance to hear it from outside the cabin but my brother, who was taking the video, said the audio didn't really do it justice.

Ordered a Primitive 3/16" skid plate. Two holes were cut in the plastic undertray to accommodate the EWG dump tubes. Without the holes there would have been mucho melted plastic. So I'm going to see how the skid plate works out.

I had a Rally Armor plate on my STI. It was definitely a worthwhile mod.

• 5 months later...

Not much to update recently. The car has experienced rough idle and surging in neutral for the last few months. After new maps and datalogs were exchanged with IAG for a while I finally made it to them yesterday for a diagnosis. They concluded it is most likely a faulty A/F sensor. Cleo was able to mask the problem with the tune as much as he could but the car won't respond like it should to some of the changes he attempted to make. Part was ordered this morning and I hope to get it on the car by the weekend or early next week at the latest.

He was pretty certain it was the A/F sensor. If it still behaves this way then his less likely diagnosis is the Cobb XLE valve is sticking. A/F sensor makes sense to me based on how the car has been acting and how it didn't respond to various changes he made in the maps.

In other news, I ordered a Perrin short shift adapter for the 2015 WRX. The reviews on the forums looked good so I look forward to getting that on soon.

One thing you can try is unplug the AF sensor, start the car, and see what happens.

Cleo played around switching between closed loop and open loop fueling. When in open loop it no longer surged so he felt pretty certain it was the A/F sensor.

• 3 weeks later...

A/F sensor was not the culprit. In the mean time I have ordered a Tial Q BOV. I'm going to wait until a friend can look over the fuel system and eliminate any issues with the fuel pump, FPR, or injectors before I have the Tial flange welded on.

I experienced some clanging and banging under the car that appeared to be suspension related on a road trip last week. I suspected it was the front sway bar and I was right. One of the end link bolts on the passenger side had loosened significantly. All end link bolts were tightened down and it's quiet again.

While I was under the car I installed the Perrin short shift adapter. Wow, what a difference. I have the STI short throw which provided minimal improvement. Now I can actually say I have a short throw shifter!

Install was more of a bitch than expected thanks to the pin that needs to be hammered out and reinstalled. Aligning a punch with a 3/8" extension on it to remove it took some effort. Getting the punch and extension aligned to reinstall it was even worse.

Hoping to get the issues sorted out soon.

My mechanic friend came over tonight and suggested I slide a thin piece of aluminum between the BOV gasket and flange to see if the BOV is the problem. So I pounded a beer and cut out a piece of the can.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/ebo05jmu/11%20LGT/20150618_211656.jpg

Prior to that we did notice upon startup there is some suction on the open side of the BOV. It's pretty light but still there so maybe it is the BOV after all.

If that's the solution then I'll have a pretty Tial Q valve on soon enough. Going to wait until the AM to see how it behaves.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/ebo05jmu/11%20LGT/20150618_211751.jpg

Archived