LegacyGT.com

The Goals Thread

Haven't been under 12% body fat for probably a good 15 years now as I have always focused on strength and size so decided in two months before vacationing to the outer banks to drop from 14.85% to 10.82%. Only change made to diet was lowering calories and not killing ice cream before bed every night, well cheated a few times. Haven't been this vascular in a while!! I feel great too with a ton of energy.

How are you measuring body fat?

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I got a DEXA scan.

But let's backup. I weigh myself, daily, on this scale: http://amzn.com/B004L6NTHU . It provides a body fat %, water mass %, muscle mass % and bone mass in lbs estimates. I weigh myself first thing in the morning, and it's consistent enough to track progress. Accurate? Unknown, but I've been using it since I was 35lbs heavier and BF of 19.8% according to that scale. I've always suspected that it estimates body fat numbers on the low side. I tend to have lean legs, and carry my fat a little higher. Since it's just an electric circuit going from foot to foot and it will take the shortest path. In other words it's not going to pick up upper body, or even waist fat. Foot, leg, crotch/lower abdominal, leg and back to foot.

Today it told me 11.1% BF. However, like I said, when I started I was 19%. Over the course of a year, I whittled down to 9.8% at my lowest in January. Then I switched to maintenance calories, added some simple carbs, like bread, back to my diet and I've been holding steady at 10.8% +/- 0.5 % for a good 4-5 weeks. A 1% bump doesn't bother me, and is expected when reintroducing simple carbs (water weight, insulin response mumbo jumbo). Most importantly, I'm eating well enough to be happy. And there's beer more often.

So back to the DEXA scan.

F*ck me. It came back at 20.0%. Ouch. That was crushing. I expected 4-6% higher than the 11%. But seeing a 20%... dang. A full 9% higher. Nearly DOUBLE?! I know I still have some stubborn back fat, and at "9.8%" I wasn't cut down to abs. So where is the extra 9% fat hiding? The Dexa scan breaks it down visually and in groups of body parts in detail. Some is in the arms, some in the hidden, internal visceral fat, but really surprising to me, it was the inner thighs and upper hips that are harboring the most fat. Just the area that I expected my fat measuring scale to be accurate in.

I wish I had a DEXA from last year when I was 35 lbs heavier and couldn't even do a pull up...

I guess I'm now officially skinny fat. I always suspect it. People that know me say i've lost so much weight I look too skinny, but at 20% I'm just barely in the top health group for my age, or even out of that group, depending on whose chart you're looking at.

Honestly with that number I'm going to have to mentally regroup. Change up the workouts... Go on another cut... I dunno. yet.

Anyways... This was cathartic to write. If you read this whole thing, hit "thanks" for me. thanks.

BTW, If anyone wants to see the results of my scan, I'll upload it.

How are you measuring body fat?

Just skin fold calipers measuring 3 body parts so not 100% accurate, but measure 3 times and take the avg. at least a good baseline on improvement.

Rebourne, your post made me look up DEXA scanning locations around me, very interested now as I've only used the caliper metric thus far.

What sort of exercise regiment are you following?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebourne, your post made me look up DEXA scanning locations around me, very interested now as I've only used the caliper metric thus far.

First off, my company subsidized the scans. I've always wanted to get one to start tracking progress, so when this came up, I jumped on it.

Currently I am doing the Hammer and Chisel plan. Six days a week, 40-60 minutes a day. I add in some stairs and/or burpees when my heart rate monitor tells me I haven't hit 350-400 calories. I'm going to finish it out, 4 more weeks, and I've seen some progress, but I'm not going to recommend it.

If you can get to a gym and do the "Big Three": bench press, squat and dead lifts, I'd really recommend looking at LeanGains.com and the more active fork: RippedBody.jp. All free. Both follow the "Big Three" just three days a week with zero cardio, and "Intermittent Fasting" high and low calorie days. Reddit has some good info on the LeanGains too. Because of my current family and work situation, I can't get to gym, but still, I lost the majority of my weight doing a modified home version of this, while improving strength. My coworker did the big three strictly by the book and lost a ton too, while improving his lifts.

And he kicked my ass on the DEXA scan... and I'm rethinking why I can't get to the gym.

One positive from the DEXA scan is that it shows I have low bone density. They recommend I get more calcium, at least 1500mg daily. I'm going to double down on my calcium supplement and look up which non dairy foods are a good source of calcium. I didn't know spinach depletes calcium! I have a follow up scan scheduled for 2 months from now, so I've got some work to do.

First off, my company subsidized the scans. I've always wanted to get one to start tracking progress, so when this came up, I jumped on it.

Currently I am doing the Hammer and Chisel plan. Six days a week, 40-60 minutes a day. I add in some stairs and/or burpees when my heart rate monitor tells me I haven't hit 350-400 calories. I'm going to finish it out, 4 more weeks, and I've seen some progress, but I'm not going to recommend it.

If you can get to a gym and do the "Big Three": bench press, squat and dead lifts, I'd really recommend looking at LeanGains.com and the more active fork: RippedBody.jp. All free. Both follow the "Big Three" just three days a week with zero cardio, and "Intermittent Fasting" high and low calorie days. Reddit has some good info on the LeanGains too. Because of my current family and work situation, I can't get to gym, but still, I lost the majority of my weight doing a modified home version of this, while improving strength. My coworker did the big three strictly by the book and lost a ton too, while improving his lifts.

And he kicked my ass on the DEXA scan... and I'm rethinking why I can't get to the gym.

Thankfully my work and schedule allow me access to a gym on the regular.

Your point of being "skinny fat" was what prompted my question. I see a lot of people who endure crazy diets and intense cardio regiments for weight loss. And while they may yield results on the surface, not too much has changed underneath. And their weight tends to take drastic fluctuations.

Nutrient rich, balanced diet, limiting sugars and salts to appropriate proportions and cutting out processed foods as much as possible combined with forms of resistance (body weight or additional weight) interval training will yield much better results on surface and internal over time.

Edit: I'm just an average joe with no specific training or education on these subject just lots of "data" accumulated over time from reading and observing on my own as well as my own exercise/eating experiences.

oh yea, nutrition. I've been following one of the Lean Gains macro calculators, targeting 1g protein for body weight, and roughly splitting the remaining calories between fat and carbs. When I have alcohol ( carb free alcohol, beer or wine, no foo foo sugary stuff) it comes out of my carbs. I'm eating a surplus over my resting, working out 6 days a week for the last month and the scale has held steady, so I think I've got my maintenance numbers dialed in.

My Lean Gains coworker buddy says I need to stop doing the home workouts, where I'm limited to lighter dumbells, and get to a gym to squat, bench and dead heavy weight. That is the essence of Lean Gains, if you have your macros sorted.

I'll always support the gains!

But that's awesome to have nutrition nailed down, that's the hardest part IMO.

But yeah, seems like you'd really benefit/see some nice improvement by upping your ante on workouts with a larger variety of equipment/weights.

Thankfully my work and schedule allow me access to a gym on the regular.

Your point of being "skinny fat" was what prompted my question. I see a lot of people who endure crazy diets and intense cardio regiments for weight loss. And while they may yield results on the surface, not too much has changed underneath. And their weight tends to take drastic fluctuations.

Nutrient rich, balanced diet, limiting sugars and salts to appropriate proportions and cutting out processed foods as much as possible combined with forms of resistance (body weight or additional weight) interval training will yield much better results on surface and internal over time.

Edit: I'm just an average joe with no specific training or education on these subject just lots of "data" accumulated over time from reading and observing on my own as well as my own exercise/eating experiences.

Being skinny fat is still better than being fat fat. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Turning a new leaf. 2nd night in the pool this week - twice as far as the first time. I have a long way until I get back to where I was a few years back, but between that and walking every day at lunch I'm off to a decent start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed my most grueling ride to date. Houston, TX to Galveston, TX and back.

Total trip today 109.3 miles. Not my longest ride ever, but most brutal. Texas heat, a crash, and cramps in both quads.

Thank goodness for a tailwind the ride back, or I'd probably still be out there.

Went to the doctor almost a month ago. Havent had a Soda or juice in over a month. Have given up junk food and minimized bread intake. Weighed in at 198 when I visited the doctor. Weighed myself today and im at 181.3 :D. Daily walking Mon - Fri and eating more greens with plenty of water. 6 more lbs and i will be at my ideal Weight of 175. I will follow up with my doctor in August and hopelly my blood sugar levels have dropped as I was diagnosed with Pre Diabetes.

Still working, but not as hard as I could. Down 12 lbs total, but many, many, many more to go. I've been stuck since 6/1. My gal and I will be in pool after work tomorrow, and then twice a week for the rest of the summer. I gotta do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Down 53 lbs since beginning of the year. Only about 13-15 lbs to go now. All my shirts are pretty baggy now but had no problem riding my mountainbike 47 miles last weekend so pretty happy about that. There's all sorts of other benefits to losing weight too. My dentist said my gums are in great shape! I have no idea why that would be, maybe just due to less usage? Probably just because of more healthy diet. I found even during weeks where I lost only 1 lbs, or no lbs, I still lost some fat off my waist etc. Anyway, I hope this message is inspirational to someone.

This used to be my typical daily meal plan.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160616/ef3180aa6206e53a4b69ac34e5984cb7.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160616/691e191b02b4cdebcfb84c77f94e888b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160616/6aae5b139a3b8f412ef82ade5ee02fc1.jpg

Now im sticking to stay under 1500 calories daily. Ive also started walking.

1500 cals is a great intake point. You definitely burn more when you do more, so it will pull from reserves to compensate. Good luck with it Fidel. You're on a great path.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

This used to be my typical daily meal plan.

PICS

Now im sticking to stay under 1500 calories daily. Ive also started walking.

Do you cook? FFS mate...lavaloon that shit!

Do you cook? FFS mate...lavaloon that shit!

Ive started cooking.

Ive been doing chicken breast / chicken thighs. Alot of salads.

Always eat breakfast. Usually 3 eggs some fruit.

If im i a rush ill eat a bowl of Cheerios.

Per my scale, I'm down to 162 lbs, 16.0% body fat, and 45.1% muscle

Bought the scale when I decided I should try to cut some weight. Was 178 lbs, 18.5%, and 44.0% muscle.

Cutting weight is so strange, after spending a few years getting from just under 150, up to that weight. Like, I'm not losing all that much size, my lifts are holding steady, and the weights going down. Not sure how low I want to go...not really too concerned with the final weight number, I just want lower body fat %, and want to maintain as much strength as possible. If I got down to ~10% body fat, I'd probably be back to my starting weight, although with a significantly different appearance.

YOu can eat out, and still eat healthy. It's harder, but possible. Eat This Not That, is a great book. It's about $10 on amazon. buy it. It gives you some life skills on food, shopping, and eating out.

1500 calories is tough. Real tough. You would probably still lose decent weight at about 1850 calories and be happier. But, whatever is working for you. Get some exercise in there too, to increase your metabolism a bit. don't worry about doing crunches to lose inches on your waist either. That's not how it work. I'd focus mostly on cardio (most people actually should), as it has great effects on your cardio and lung health, and helps the most with calorie burning.

I believe every pound of fat is about 3k unburnt calories ~ .

Archived