• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost matches mine from the 70s. :lol:

And squad, Hicksta. Three girls equals parental doomsday. :lol:

I know right? That's why I keep my head shaved. So I'm not walking around with a Morgan Freeman head of grey hair! :lol:

And, mr hicksta, if that's the goon squad, you got it made!!!

Yeah, you're right. It sucks being outnumbered some times though. Thank goodness for the golf course! :D

The plan is to have little-to-no responsibility in her well being when she's 25. Out of college (hopefully), on her own, etc, etc.

Hopefully at 25 they can care for themselves but I am sure you will still be needed in some ways. I understand what you meant though.

The plan is to have little-to-no responsibility in her well being when she's 25. Out of college (hopefully), on her own, etc, etc.

Coming from a 26 yr. old who's recently out of college, it doesn't end there. It takes a lot to get back on your feet when you've been broke for so long, and start paying student loan payments. I'm doing everything in my power to make it on my own, but its tough to manage $1k per month in student loan payments on top of all of the other typical expenses.

1k per month, jesus. Did you rack up like 100k in student loans?

Nope.. $62k from going to a community college then transferred to a state college for my BSME. I worked the whole way through and paid for my own rent, bills, etc. School is expensive, no matter how you look at it. I enjoy my career, and I view that debt as a lifelong investment. There are too many other people my age who are in the same financial situation, but without a good career and a worthless degree.

The only thing I can suggest to the parents of kids preparing for college is this: Take advantage of every government funding opportunity, and ask the question, "Once you get this degree, what will you do with it? Will it support your family, and will you be happy?" Far too many students get some BS communications degree and end up with all of the debt but no marketable skills.

Coming from a 26 yr. old who's recently out of college, it doesn't end there. It takes a lot to get back on your feet when you've been broke for so long, and start paying student loan payments. I'm doing everything in my power to make it on my own, but its tough to manage $1k per month in student loan payments on top of all of the other typical expenses.

I can understand that, actually. I'm only 4 years older than you and 5 years removed from college. I was paying about 800 dollars a month in student loans on a $38,000 salary (my first job wasn't exactly the best job ever for a Computer Science graduate). I've certainly solicited my parents for help (and still do), but they were no longer directly or indirectly responsible for my survival once I moved out.

Of course, it probably depends on what she goes to college for (if at all). She has a CS and an English/Education grad for parents, and we both have pretty different fields of interest, so there's no obvious direction for parental influence to take as she grows up.

I am 25 and about to be finished with school this summer. All while having the only income to support my 4 person family. Luckily my work paid for about half of the cost and I have been making payments. I should have around 20k left to pay when all is said and done.

I am also 25 and finished school 2 years ago. I finished with about 25k in loans so payments aren't too bad. Times definitely weren't easy while in school but I am getting into a position to be able to buy a house in about 2-3 years. My girlfriend has over 100k in student loans but is finishing her Master's now so payments for that will start in about 6 months. Should make things interesting.

Yes I am young, she is 7 years old. It was an interesting senior year in high school. I was before any of that "pregnancy pact" hooplah that was going on in town that got some news coverage. I am not with the Mom anymore. We broke up about 6 months after she was born. I was and am still a fully invested father to her, not just a weekend Dad. Yes we switch every weekend but I also pick her up from school a couple days a week. We try to split time as best that we can. Given the circumstances, we have done a good job with the situation dealt to us. Her Mom was able to graduate college as well and just passed her fourth CPA exam test so is on her way to being a CPA. I am also an accountant but on the business side of things. It stinks it didn't work out between her Mom and I but it is what it is and we try to make it the best we can for her.

Didn't mean to ramble on... I try to answer any questions people might have before they ask them.

My wife is out of town so I'm solo dad this week.

Saw the little one up and moving around her crib this morning on the monitor so I went in to get her. "Hai" as soon as I walk in, huge smile on her face.

She wouldn't let me pick her up until she picked up each stuffed animal and gave it a huge hug. Times like this make me wish she would always be this young and innocent.

• Moderators
My wife is out of town so I'm solo dad this week.

Saw the little one up and moving around her crib this morning on the monitor so I went in to get her. "Hai" as soon as I walk in, huge smile on her face.

She wouldn't let me pick her up until she picked up each stuffed animal and gave it a huge hug. Times like this make me wish she would always be this young and innocent.

That's awesome. I just had a week of daddy-day-care as well.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(