LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

Today is kinda a sad day for me. I've had this setup at work where I got every other Monday off, but I'm taking on a new role and the department I'm moving into isn't going to give me every 10th day off :lol:

So, today is my last Monday off with my daughter. At almost 20 months old, flying solo for a day is a lot easier than when she was 2 months. And it is a huge change from when I was single and had this gig going :)

We laid in bed for over an hour this morning watching Yo Gabba Gabba, had chick-fil-a for breakfast, met mommy for lunch, and went over my parents house and hung out with gammie and grandpa for a couple hours.

I'm going to miss having her all to myself every other monday :redface:

495108610_TaylorMar.thumb.jpg.1aa5900ef64bb0309b149876f3a4ad86.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Primary caregiver here. Wife took a prestige position with another company and is working 60+ hours a week. Asks if Luna and I will be okay.

"Honey we'll manage without you somehow"

TRUFF: Bish the kid is all mine do whatever you want just keep bringing home the skrilla.

Primary caregiver here. Wife took a prestige position with another company and is working 60+ hours a week. Asks if Luna and I will be okay.

"Honey we'll manage without you somehow"

TRUFF: Bish the kid is all mine do whatever you want just keep bringing home the skrilla.

Same here. I've been a stay at home dad for 3 yrs. I love it. And it give my daughter a chance to do what she loves - ballet, modern, jazz, and tap dance - that she otherwise couldn't do.

More or less what a driver's ed teacher is already doing. That's why there's "driving hours" and "observation hours".

simulators and 25:1 ratio isnt really teaching anything but how to pass the written test. getting them behind the wheel is the only real way to get them ready for actual driving, and i dont leave that up to others. they told me they got a lot of the concept of the process of driving, but actually doing it in a real car was way different than they thought it was going to be.

i stayed home for about 4 years when my twins were about 6 months old, wouldnt trade those years for anything. i was in college at the time, so i was home during the day and went to night school. i got them while they were up and active, wife got them at dinner time and while they (and she) were sleeping. win-win.

simulators and 25:1 ratio isnt really teaching anything but how to pass the written test. getting them behind the wheel is the only real way to get them ready for actual driving, and i dont leave that up to others. they told me they got a lot of the concept of the process of driving, but actually doing it in a real car was way different than they thought it was going to be.

Err, that's not how kids are taught to drive in Mass/NH. There's no simulators and the only time there's a 25:1 ratio is during classroom book work (read these laws, fill out these Q/A exercises).

During a typical driving hour, one student drives and 1-2 kids observe in the back seat. The instructor sits in the front passenger seat with a brake pedal. I was simply commenting on how teaching them to drive at the same time is exactly what driving instructors already do all the time.

17 year old girl... 2-3 nights a week sobbing. not for any particular reason that she can identify, just that shes sad. I was a hormonal teenaged girl, but holy hell, I don't remember this! I really think I am calling her primary care for help. I don't know what to do.

Good luck.

Meanwhile, my 9 yr old daughter has been complaining about one leg or the other and her feet hurting when she wakes up in the morning. Her cousin had what his doctor called severe growing pains at about this age. I don't remember suffering from it at all. It's bad enough for my daughter that she has difficulty walking and has asked to skip dance twice this week (a very rare thing).

Edited by KartRacerBoy

@KRB from ~9-10 and ~13 I had severe growing pains. Should be smething she grows out of. Try to help her with pain management and most of all good on you for aknowledging it. My dad was a MD. If I didn't need a shot, surgery or wasn't dieing, it didn't exist.

So, I traded my Accord LX for Legacy Ltd with Weather Package.

I told my wife, well, our 5 months son will grow up with a nice car, fully equipped, and leather wrapped seats. :p This will be the car he remembers until he becomes a toddler.

Something that I didn't have back then, lol.

Edited by _karu_

@KRB from ~9-10 and ~13 I had severe growing pains. Should be smething she grows out of. Try to help her with pain management and most of all good on you for aknowledging it. My dad was a MD. If I didn't need a shot, surgery or wasn't dieing, it didn't exist.

Thanks. Pain management has yet to work. We given her tylonel or ibuprophen, but she says neither help. When she does have pain on schooldays, we generally send a note to school giving our daughter discretion to participate in gym. Sometimes her pain will go away after a few hours but sometimes it lasts a few day.

I'm sure this effect exists in other domains, but, parents, have you ever noticed that if you like something, your kid(s) somehow have a natural aversion to it (more often than not)?

My daughter is almost ten but tests at a senior in H.S. reading level. Whenever I recommend a book to her, it is the kiss of death for said book. So I've tried leaving a book out for her to find and examine, but she seems to sniff the ones my wife or I like and ignores them. This is despite the fact that said books fall within the genre that she enjoys. "I'm my parents like it, it can't be good." So though she likes fantasy, she will not read Tolkein's LoTR trilogy or the Hobbit, TH Lawrences' "Once and Future King," or "Watership Down."

This is small potatoes in adult manipulation of a child's behavior, but I am looking forward to the bigger battles when she reaches her teens and our attempts at manipulation become more earnest! Must we take acting lessons to disguise our true feelings so our daughter does the opposite of what she THINKS we really want (but then she does exactly what we REALLY wanted her to do)?

Or do I just get a tazer?

You sir, once again, are failing to consider additional angles.

You will use this to your advantage by "liking" anything you'd prefer she not get into in the future.

I really so like the tazer idea better. It requires less thought.

And she's seen through the reverse strategy that so far.

I wanted a little girl. They are so much trickier than boys who just hit and break things then get over it.

:lol:

I have another plan for the first date. I heard a female country movie singer relate her early life on radio. She said on her very first date with a boy, her alcoholic dad greeted the young man in nearly see through white boxers while wearing a wife beater t-shirt with a shoulder holster with a gun in it. He was also holding an open bottle of vodka.

I don't know if that was true but it's a powerful image that I would be willing to convey to anyone daring enough to date my precious daughter. :lol:

Took the 17 YO to the first counselor visit. Seemed to go well, then she got home and fell apart. I thought (ridiculously, I know), that I had it pretty easy with this awesome girl. Then the shit hit the fan in the last 8 weeks. She has an appointment to go back. I just have to be sure she goes. Short of missing another partial day of work, I'm not sure how to do that.

KRB - our daughter seemingly didn't like to read AT ALL (dad and I are huge avid readers) at that age. We thought for a long time it was because we read. Then, suddenly one day she read. And she's never stopped (OK, Harry Potter probably had something to do with that...). I wouldn't worry too much... just keep her reading regardless of what it is. Just my two cents. Someday she'll figure out that what you are reading is really cool!!