The Parenthood Thread

laff79

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife is out of town so I'm solo dad this week.

Saw the little one up and moving around her crib this morning on the monitor so I went in to get her. "Hai" as soon as I walk in, huge smile on her face.

She wouldn't let me pick her up until she picked up each stuffed animal and gave it a huge hug. Times like this make me wish she would always be this young and innocent.

That's one of the best feelings in the world.. and I share your sentiment. I already miss the time when she would let you hold her- now she just wants to run.

Mine just want to "run" as soon as they could. My little one is now 13 months and she only likes being held if you are up and walking, otherwise she just wants to go on her own. Her 5 year old sister doesn't even want to be in the house and already wants to play with her friends over me.

My kid and I have been enjoying each other's company a lot more in the last few months, largely due to you guys. :)

Lately he's been asking to help me cook. He's getting to the point where he's seriously useful. When I was his age I could barely be trusted to get myself a glass of water. He can damn near cook a full breakfast aside from knife work. He needs to be closely supervised but that's moreso to ensure he stays focused on safety than a question of competency. He lost his knife privileges (both in and out of the kitchen) the time before by dicking around with a steak knife while waiting for bacon to fry, so we're working back up to that...

My wife says it makes her heart swell to see us in the kitchen together. I'm guessing it doesn't compare to the feeling of actually cooking with him. Another year of practice and I'll have my own personal little sous chef. :cool:

I can understand that, actually. I'm only 4 years older than you and 5 years removed from college. I was paying about 800 dollars a month in student loans on a $38,000 salary (my first job wasn't exactly the best job ever for a Computer Science graduate). I've certainly solicited my parents for help (and still do), but they were no longer directly or indirectly responsible for my survival once I moved out.

Of course, it probably depends on what she goes to college for (if at all). She has a CS and an English/Education grad for parents, and we both have pretty different fields of interest, so there's no obvious direction for parental influence to take as she grows up.

Yikes, 38k for a CS Graduate? My son just hit 2 and like you guys my wife and I are of completely different backgrounds.

I have a CS Degree and my wife has a PhD in Clinical Psychology so we have no idea which way he will go :p

Once I graduate from college 7 years ago I moved in with my now-wife and we've been on our own since then. My parents helped a lot during college (rent, utilities, 10% of tuition) but I took out loans for most of tuition and any food or fun times were out of my pocket.

I'm hoping to at least the same for my son but he definitely will be taking out student loans to he has some level of responsibility for what he's doing in college.

Once I graduate from college 7 years ago I moved in with my now-wife and we've been on our own since then. My parents helped a lot during college (rent, utilities, 10% of tuition) but I took out loans for most of tuition and any food or fun times were out of my pocket.

I'm hoping to at least the same for my son but he definitely will be taking out student loans to he has some level of responsibility for what he's doing in college.

This is SOOO important. It's amazing how many people go to school and don't give a sh1t about their classes. They're usually too busy spending their parent's money at the bar. I despised those kids.. It's part of what made me decide not to go to Ohio State and move out of Columbus. Too many rich kids that don't give a sh1t.

This thread is full of people I mostly dont post with :lol: And whoulda thunk Laff of all people would start it?

This is my 5 year old, Lilly. She is the greatest kid I could ever have asked for. She has never been a problem, since day one. Except for the whole "i want to be born almost 2 months early" stunt she pulled. She has always slept through the night, eats any food I give her, never asks for things, and is just an amazing kid. Luckily, my relationship with my ex-wife is good, and Lilly has adapted well to the new schedule of seeing me less since my move to MD. i drive up nearly every weekend to see her, and get her on vacations and long weekends. She has adjusted way better than I have :lol:

all this stuff means my second child with my new soon-to-be wife, will be a hell spawn

903373_10152690117015316_428185535_o.jpg

194004_10152108607750316_1322554527_o.jpg

Edited by HipsterDoofus

My 7 year old almost got "home run" (riddled with throwing errors). Would have gotten it too had it not been for that pesky 3rd base that dodged his foot when he went to step on it. Had to turn around and run back....lol

Yikes, 38k for a CS Graduate?

Yep, first job. I had a less than ideal path through college so I was completely swamped my last semester. That job fell from the sky and onto my lap so I pretty much just accepted it when it was offered to me. I got stuck in databases for a few years, but found a place I could branch out and do some .NET development (and much improved salary).

She has never been a problem, since day one.... She has always slept through the night, eats any food I give her, never asks for things, and is just an amazing kid....

all this stuff means my second child with my new soon-to-be wife, will be a hell spawn

So far, this mostly describes my 1 year old. The wife and I already know that any additional kids we have will never be as well behaved as our daughter.

Both of my daughters slept and ate great.... until now. The 13 month old still eats anything and wants "num nums" all the time. The 5 year old however isn't pleased with anything but corndogs, mac n cheese and candy. Needless to say we eat more than these three things so she is unhappy during dinner time most days. I honestly believe that the 13 month old eats more throughout the day than the 5 year old.

• I Donated Too
This thread is full of people I mostly dont post with :lol: And whoulda thunk Laff of all people would start it?

This is my 5 year old, Lilly. She is the greatest kid I could ever have asked for. She has never been a problem, since day one. Except for the whole "i want to be born almost 2 months early" stunt she pulled. She has always slept through the night, eats any food I give her, never asks for things, and is just an amazing kid. Luckily, my relationship with my ex-wife is good, and Lilly has adapted well to the new schedule of seeing me less since my move to MD. i drive up nearly every weekend to see her, and get her on vacations and long weekends. She has adjusted way better than I have :lol:

I thought my son (second kid) was gonna be Satan spawn but he's actually even more chill than my daughter was. We're very lucky.

Yep, first job. I had a less than ideal path through college so I was completely swamped my last semester. That job fell from the sky and onto my lap so I pretty much just accepted it when it was offered to me. I got stuck in databases for a few years, but found a place I could branch out and do some .NET development (and much improved salary).

If you have more than 3 years .NET development experience, can pass no-bs deep dive skills interviews conducted by senior level developers/architects and you're making $38k full time, you should probably get at me...

If you have more than 3 years .NET development experience, can pass no-bs deep dive skills interviews conducted by senior level developers/architects and you're making $38k full time, you should probably get at me...

$38K is entry level, fresh out of college .NET pay around here. 3 years in I'd expect closer to $65K.

$38K is entry level, fresh out of college .NET pay around here. 3 years in I'd expect closer to $65K.

That's what I was implying... ;)

Well, that and I really like my current employer. It's a good place to be if you're making a career out of the MS stack and you're passionate about what you do. Not a good place if you're the sort that prefers cozying up to a single environment and doing the same stuff day after day for years.

That is pretty much my experience, more or less. I've gotten a pay bump at every place I've stopped, and my .NET experience in total over the course of my career is about a year now (not including college). I was stuck in database hell for quite some time.

New Zealand's rejected baby name list:

http://jezebel.com/new-zealand-rejects-kind-of-weird-and-really-weird-baby-486320694

Highlights of the list include all names that imply rank, like "Duke," "Queen" or "Princess," "4Real," "Lucifer," "V8," and straight up "Anal."

Someone tried to name their kid 'Anal'

wtf?

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Maybe KRB can chime in on this one... (You can always trust me to be morbid)

What do I need to do now that I have a kid as far as my will goes? How do I define who custody of her goes to if anything happens to me AND her mother (like a plane crash or car accident that she was not involved in)?

The idea that she could possibly go to my MIL makes me want to strangle the life out of my MIL just to make sure it couldn't happen :lol:

Really? My first job was in Herndon, fresh out of college but doing Java on Linux and starting wasn't that at that level. Around NOVA I thought the average starting salary for CS was between 50-60k

Depends on employer, but most I know hire graduates with CS and no masters for around $40k straight out of college. They usually get a raise fairly quick.

Yeah, pretty much this. I started in southern NH and got a 10% raise after my first year.