LegacyGT.com

Strut/Spring Compressors

The topic I wanted to start was about finally replacing my suicide-stick spring compressors with a professional-grade strut/spring compressor. I have done many strut/spring replacements with the sticks, and when they wear out - despite greasing and only using hand tools - they are cheap to replace at ~$30 per set. However, they are a complete PITA to use and make jobs take way longer than they should.

I am specifically looking at the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6591-StrutTamer-Extreme-Compressor/dp/B002MXQ2PU/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1360462825&sr=1-2&keywords=otc+struttamer]OTC StrutTamer Extreme[/ame] versus the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Strut-Spring-Compressor-Wall-Mounted/dp/B000K1BJNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1360462796&sr=1-1&keywords=branick+7400]Branick 7400[/ame]. I like that both are wall/pedestal mount. The locking jaws of the OTC STE are a plus, although the Branick has 3 jaws which would seem to provide more stability. The OTC STE has a gearbox to decrease effort, and provides better access to the strut rod nut.

I would also consider an [ame=http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Clamshell-Strut-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000IPQ952]OTC Clamshell[/ame] spring compressor if there is significant positive (and informed) feedback. The price point is better which not a deciding factor, but at 25-30% the cost of the others it is worth mentioning. It is supposedly very robust, but for me it doesn't inspire confidence like the stationary units. Finally, the portability is a plus for house-calls.

OTC StrutTamer Extreme

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/144947_lg.jpg

Branick 7400

http://www.branick.com/images/products/7400.jpg

OTC Clamshell

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31oCgo6VokL._SS500_.jpg

i thought a fitness thread deserved it's own space too. i think we should both get one.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I'd give you some love on this but other than oogling at the beautiful tools that I would love to have in my garage, can't say I have any experience with anything other than death sticks. As a conneseur of quality tools, I think the OTC StrutTamer would be my choice if I had the funds and the need. I like the locking jaws, wall mount and the gear reduction to ease effort.

Yeah, the MaxJax is pretty nice for low overhead clearance. I have considered buying one for the shop, but I plan on moving to a bigger space soon, where I can fit a standard 2-post.

It's looking like the OTC is the way to go. I will update when I have it in hand.

In the meantime, can we get this subforum going? I'll moderate unless there is a conflict of interest (vendor/mod)...

I still lust after one of these for my own garage: http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

Damn You BarMan!!!! :lol::lol: I thought I had evacuated that sufficiently from my thoughts.... and now you've gone and done reminded me.

:banghead:

• Moderators
Damn You BarMan!!!! :lol::lol: I thought I had evacuated that sufficiently from my thoughts.... and now you've gone and done reminded me.

:) THere's been one for sale near me that is somewhat local, it's been tempting me for a while now. If I sell my wagon for a reasonable price and can pick up my next ride for the same, I might be able to pull the trigger...

My only worry is the concrete in my garage--I would probably have to have it tested beforehand just to make sure it's thick enough / strong enough. Don't know who to go to to have that done :confused:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

+1 for the branick unit. Otc is great but the branick is tried and true. One of my current customers has the maxjax and loves it for brake work etc. Its the second lift in his shop though.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I would appreciate and read a "meta technical forum" that talks about stuff and approaches for getting ready to do things as opposed to walkthru's for specific tasks. There is already clear separation in technical for people looking for various types of builds or I would suggest a "technical walkthru" forum with this as a subforum.

As is, I think it would be cool to have a "general tech - gear and procedures" forum for this sort of thing. Things about what you'll find in technical walkthru's could all be housed here. This may include tools, shop care and feeding, organization and general operating approaches.

The stuff that everyone is going to stumble on while trying to figure out how to outfit and operate their garage in general. I could use me some of that knowledge in advance... Preferably at someone else's expense. :D

+1 for the branick unit. Otc is great but the branick is tried and true. One of my current customers has the maxjax and loves it for brake work etc. Its the second lift in his shop though.

Dave

Dave, can you please elaborate a bit further on the OTC vs. Branick? Things like the locking jaws, strut top access, and gear reduction are points in the OTC's favor. The Branick has 3-jaw stability and the cachet of being "tried and true" or the Cadillac of manual spring compressors.

There is a "like new" Branick for $475 not too far away. New vs. new they are within $60 of each other on Amazon. ($620 OTC, $680 Branick)

I have a Chinese knock-off version of the OTC clamshell compressor and it works okay, but it's cumbersome. Really prefer the ease and stability of the OTC Strut Tamer because it's completely handsfree and provides unimpeded access to the top of the strut. The gear-reduction rack-drive is pretty sweet too.

The local Auto Hobby Shop has the Brannick version and I see them fighting with it all the time to get a wrench on the top end and even more so if you've got something like the Bilsteins which require a drive-through socket and a hex drive to tighten everything up.

And you can't go wrong with OTC quality and design. There's cheaper alternatives, but you get what you pay for. Anyone doing this for a living, or an advanced hobbiest who routinely swaps out their struts/springs, is going to appreciate both the quality and the longevity of an OTC compressor tool.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Its possible the otc unit i used was beat up because it just seemed very stiff to setup, bulky and i didnt care for the "feel" of it.

I used a couple different branicks over the last few years and they worked flawlessly with little to no maintenance.

I guess i should have included this was my personal experience.....every other otc tool I have used is grade A.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Archived