LegacyGT.com

Hyundai 2.0T Sonata

Yeah, I'm going to buy a car for its track potential not for its comfort, drivability, power, economy and reliability.

So what you are saying is, the Sonata is not a performance vehicle the way a LegacyGT or WRX is? Interesting...

Its quicker than any stock Subaru where it counts.

Do you mean into the f/s theads? :lol: I made a funny.

You can't mean off the line, out of turns, under questionable conditions or gosh only faster than a non f/i Subaru? Open diff fwd sucks for perforance and the heavier the vehicle, the less plesant it is at limit.

I might also add that limit for a Sonata turbo is at streetable speeds. Not so with a STi.

And the irony of any of you calling me a Nascar fan is spectacular.

Not "any of you" Jack. Me, Max, LALGT.

I track my car.

You make false performance claims about Sonatas vs Legacy.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what you are saying is, the Sonata is not a performance vehicle the way a LegacyGT or WRX is? Interesting...

Do you mean into the f/s theads? :lol: I made a funny.

You can't mean off the line, out of turns, under questionable conditions or gosh only faster than a non f/i Subaru? Open diff fwd sucks for perforance and the heavier the vehicle, the less plesant it is at limit.

I might also add that limit for a Sonata turbo is at streetable speeds. Not so with a STi.

Not "any of you" Jack. Me, Max, LALGT.

I track my car.

You make false performance claims about Sonatas vs Legacy.

Where it counts for me is at passing speeds, between 60 and 100. The rest you can have, this is America not the Alps.

It's unfortunate that you have to drive your track car as a DD.

:lol:

Not too long ago it was just 5EAT LGT's--on this page, it's STis, too... keep bumping this thread, and he'll be claiming he took an F458 from a standstill, then lost it in the twisties.

Torque steer FTW, 'cause that's where it counts!

I'll getcha a video next time.

It's TRUE! I just came back from seeing Star Trek... a non-turbo Sonata took me on the outside of a tight left-hander.

That's what happens when only one of us thinks we're racing, I guess.

Plenty of STi kills in there.

Here's something to mull over... try & find a "Sonata kill count" thread anywhere outside of camryforums.com... :iam:

Tits mcgee

I couldn't help it. You're right, this is worth a read...

"Beat a 2006 CLK 500 convertible the other day."

On racing STIs:

"Yeah they will beat our car in any circumstances in a 1/4 but during rolls I think we have a better advantage"

"Yea, that AWD is no joke. However, stock AWD cars cruising at normal speed don't have to the take off power a FWD car has." :lol:

"4 door g37s" ...no words.

"Porshe Panamera non turbo from a roll from 70 to 110 pulled 3 car lengths" Yes... the driver was probably turned around tending to her two kids in the back.

"M3 E46 had about 2 car running start on the highway when he decided he didn't want to let me pass but I guess he left me little to much room and I managed about a car lengths on him." A Sonata would have to be dropped from a plane to beat an M3 on a roll.

Here I thought 6 pages of self-gratifying Sonata bullshit was going overboard--there are 35 page of it over there...!

Tits mcgee

Where it counts for me is at passing speeds, between 60 and 100. The rest you can have, this is America not the Alps.

It's unfortunate that you have to drive your track car as a DD.

Not only is my Legacy a street car that I track, I'm additionally buying a track car AND I have a daily driver.

Nice try tho.

ITS UNFOTUNATE THAT YOU HAVE TO DRIVE A SONATA AS A DD.

I couldn't help it. You're right, this is worth a read...

"Beat a 2006 CLK 500 convertible the other day."

On racing STIs:

"Yeah they will beat our car in any circumstances in a 1/4 but during rolls I think we have a better advantage"

"Yea, that AWD is no joke. However, stock AWD cars cruising at normal speed don't have to the take off power a FWD car has." :lol:

"4 door g37s" ...no words.

"Porshe Panamera non turbo from a roll from 70 to 110 pulled 3 car lengths" Yes... the driver was probably turned around tending to her two kids in the back.

"M3 E46 had about 2 car running start on the highway when he decided he didn't want to let me pass but I guess he left me little to much room and I managed about a car lengths on him." A Sonata would have to be dropped from a plane to beat an M3 on a roll.

Here I thought 6 pages of self-gratifying Sonata bullshit was going overboard--there are 35 page of it over there...!

:lol:

Thought this was FAH (and excuse the OP's obvious grammar and spelling issues - he just had to get it out there while it was "fresh"):

Just thought I'd share what I have gone up against.

G37S, it was definitely an auto and it was a female driver with here BF of husband in the passenger seat. Took off from alight to get on the freeway, she slammed on the gas and I honestly wasn't expecting her to try to race me, floored it and shot about 2-3 car lengths ahead of her. Pulled up next to me at the next light and her boyfriend was laughing at her. made me feel pretty good.

I did however lose to a Audi, i believe it was 2.0t older body style. We went from alight and he launched fairly hard but I was still maybe 1/2 a car behind him, unfortunately the wife doesn't like to drive with me when I want to race so I had to slow down before I could see if I would have pulled.

I saw some of you guys talking about the STI's, I haven't got to race one yet but I would like to. That was the first car I ever bought on my own and I would love to. I know they will tear me up off the line but from a 20-40 role it would be a good race depending on their mods. Mine launched like a bat out of hell after my tune and TBE with two-step on it. Miss that car so much.

Ahywho has anyone thought of trying to put some sort of two-step on the ECu to get a reliable launch RPM?

At least acknowledging that the STI would tear him up... and that he "missed that car so much" says a lot.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

This is incredible. Ever since my ex blew up the engine in her Hyundai I'll never even think about owning one. How can someone honestly say that a FWD auto is a performance car? If you honestly like your Sonata, check out this interesting story..

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/28/business/hyundai-recall/index.html

Man.. I'm going to trade my LGT in ASAP so my side-curtain airbags can deploy for no apparent reason.. That should be a sign to any relatively smart person to run screaming.

For the record, I'd rather drive a Prius than a Sonata.. At least it doesn't give the illusion of being a performance car.

• I Donated
If you honestly like your Sonata, check out this interesting story..

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/28/business/hyundai-recall/index.html

Man.. I'm going to trade my LGT in ASAP so my side-curtain airbags can deploy for no apparent reason.. That should be a sign to any relatively smart person to run screaming.

Really? I'm sure Subaru has never had any safety-related recalls... :lol: There are lots of reasons to hate on the Sonata, but this isn't one of them.

Frankly, the Sonata is not a bad car. It does have a better interior (besides the fugly blue illumination) and more infotainment features than most 4th-gen LGTs. For some people, it's the right car. But FWD and lack of a stick means the performance will never be anywhere as good as an LGT, on OR off the track.

Really? I'm sure Subaru has never had any safety-related recalls... :lol: There are lots of reasons to hate on the Sonata, but this isn't one of them.

Frankly, the Sonata is not a bad car. It does have a better interior (besides the fugly blue illumination) and more infotainment features than most 4th-gen LGTs. For some people, it's the right car. But FWD and lack of a stick means the performance will never be anywhere as good as an LGT, on OR off the track.

:lol: I'm not saying Subaru hasn't had it's fair share of recalls, but the idea of an airbag going off for no apparent reason scares the sh!t out of me.

That said, I can understand how some people could like it, but trying to say that it is a car that outperforms the LGT in all aspects is pretty ridiculous. Saying that it is a performance car in general is pretty ridiculous.

Archived