LegacyGT.com

Hyundai 2.0T Sonata

I wasn't boasting about post count. I was simply making the point that I didn't sign up and visit this forum to mention I own a Sonata. I have been a member here for a very long time. And to generalize and entire product ownership base is absolutely spectacular.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is funny, I drove an LGT 5EAT back to back with my 2.0T and that legacy wouldn't stand a chance. Especially once they get going. The MT is definitely quicker when it comes to the legacy, and more of a contender to the Sonata as far as performance goes. I'm sure the LGT "handles" better but in a straight line, it doesn't stand a chance.

Handling is what makes a car sporty, not driving in a straight line. The LGT is a driver's car, no debate about it.

Hyundai steering, numbness, and the suspension, with FWD make for a not so fun driving experience. It doesn't canyon carve with focus or discipline as all that power is sent to the front wheels. The sonata is comfortable, well featured, good looking and well powered but it is not sporty.

All the power is wasted if steering, feedback, road feel, and agility aren't on point. This is why the Mazda 6 is cleaning up comparison's against other mid size cars with only 180hp.

You want fun FWD, get a Mazda. The Sonata is a Camry alternative, but better than a Camry.

Hyundai is a good company selling a damn good product, but its all regurgitated. A powerful turbo engine on a sloppy fwd car with paddle shifters, we've all seen this before and its awesome to a point. The big thing overlooked is potential! Awd, flat 4 turbo with mt is just a superior platform to fwd auto anything...

FTR, the Sonata SE 2.0T has higher number on the skidpad too.

So let's review:

The Sonata has superior equipment, better acceleration, more power, the same weight, stronger braking, more grip(in anything but adverse conditions), a stronger residual value, a better warranty and is overall of higher quality.

You guys are right, the Sonata cannot hold a flame to the LGT. :rolleyes:

Ok, I was just reading along bc I was interested in 2.0t FOR THE EXACT REASONS EVERYONE HAS BEEN SAYING:

cheap, super warranty (10 year powertrain since I dont trust turbos to last 10 years), mpg and its just seems like a good jump from LGT from an ECONOMICAL stand point.

Now with that said, I DO NOT want to switch. Definitely not switching for better performance, it is alllllll purely economical without totally going 4 banger 38 hwy mpg kinda car with 170 hp what not. Reg gas, great mpg for a car with that kinda hp, but it obviously comes at a price, DUH. You cannot gain those numbers without giving up stuff.

1. ******* electric steering (hyundai forums have sooooooo many complaints about this) Not a fan of that super light steering wheel and obviously since it's electric, its not drawing power from the engine therefore saving gas

2. fwd: DUH! Im sure this accounts for huge mpg saving.

3. 2.0 engine, impressive numbers for that size engine. guess what? stock sonata t comes boosted at 17 lbs! Now I am no expert and dont quote me on this but im pretty sure stock LGT was boosted to about 9-10 lbs...

4. can't hold gear in manual mode... torque is super limited off the stop to minimize wheel spin

CMON SON! you're argument now is purely just defensive and I did not want to get involved but you should acknowledge the facts when the opposition has also acknowledged the ECONOMICAL advantages of sonata.

I know all this bc I have seriously been considering sonata t. I see it as selling out without relinquishing everything (speed). Yes it makes so much more sense for me to go sonata but damn man, I'll always be left wondering what the LGT could've been.

still in LGT, at least until winter has passed and I really don't want to give it up... NYC winter has been bad this year and OMG I am soooo thankful for AWD. Before the whole snow tires and fwd is fine blah blah learn to drive in snow etc etc, let me say one thing I realized. NYC street parking AFTER snow plows and weeks of snow accumulation + icing; the fact that I do not need a shovel or an ice pick to get my car out in the morning... ******* priceless man.

You cannot understand this annual pain unless you've experienced. Parking in spots I wouldn't dare try while I was in my Altima, not having to carry a shovel in the trunk, seeing fwd cars stuck in little baby ice snow... OMG! LOL I have so many stories this year, a lot run-ins with acura TL type-s(fwd) just laughing in their faces as I do things they will not dare try HAHAHA.

• I Donated
just google, "sonata turbo steering problem"

THAT'S GAME, JACK.

I might still get a sonata for the economical reasons listed, but goddammit, I really don't want to associate myself with an ignorant **** like you, JACK.

Lulz.

Don't feed the troll.

Aaaaand postcount++. :lol: I can do this all day!

Handling is what makes a car sporty, not driving in a straight line. The LGT is a driver's car, no debate about it.

Hyundai steering, numbness, and the suspension, with FWD make for a not so fun driving experience. It doesn't canyon carve with focus or discipline as all that power is sent to the front wheels. The sonata is comfortable, well featured, good looking and well powered but it is not sporty.

All the power is wasted if steering, feedback, road feel, and agility aren't on point. This is why the Mazda 6 is cleaning up comparison's against other mid size cars with only 180hp.

You want fun FWD, get a Mazda. The Sonata is a Camry alternative, but better than a Camry.

Lol tell that to the fiesta st.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just google, "sonata turbo steering problem"

THAT'S GAME, JACK.

I might still get a sonata for the economical reasons listed, but goddammit, I really don't want to associate myself with an ignorant **** like you, JACK.

Economical and grand warranty. Both solid reasons. Can come very well equipped too for the the price.

We were forced to drive a Sonata as a loaner when my wife decided to kill a deer with her Touareg last winter. The Sonata is fine basic transportation if all you care about is getting from point A to B, and have lost the will to live. It is Sonata car that I would buy with my money.

Archived