LegacyGT.com

Hyundai 2.0T Sonata

Has anybody come across one of these in the LGT (B4)? I have one right now and I tell you what, I'm pretty confident this is a quicker car than the LGT I had many moons past. I'm sure the LGT launched harder (AWD, Manual) but after 30mph I think the Sonata will walk on the Legacy. The Sonata is seriously quick. And as for the whole "quality" issue, I can wholeheartedly say that the Sonata is leaps and bounds ahead of the Subaru in that aspect.

Thoughts?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The HP wars have hit family sedans, so that's not surprising.

A stock LGT is going to get walked on by most 2011+ upper end family sedans in stock form. Most of them now have 250+ HP, and with the lower FWD drivetrain losses will put 230+ HP to the wheels. The LGT isn't exactly a lightweight, and with a focus on fuel economy the massive weight gains have largely stopped.

Which is why Genesis drivers don't get any love at car shows, even if they're fantastic drivers' cars

Compared to Sonata - sure. Otherwise no. I cross-shopped R-spec/3.8 track Genesis coupes. Mustang is more of a driver's car than Genesis.

Either way, my point was that at the end of the day they're all hyundais

You say this like it is a bad thing? Don't get me wrong, I love the Subaru brand but Hyundai are building a better car right now.

They are more powerful, have better warranties, use better materials, are just as reliable, they offer everything from a $15000 Accent to a $65000 Equus, they come standard with far more options, and are priced better. They are hard to argue with. I live in MT and while I miss the AWD with Blizzaks on the Sonata it does everything I need it to and anything it can't handle I have a truck for.

• I Donated Too
I agree that hyundai has pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to be a very competitive car brand, even a market leader, but we're still too close to the time when they were shitty econoboxes. They need to continue to innovate and produce quality product, and they need a halo car before they'll gain respect in the enthusiast community

They need to continue to innovate and produce quality product, and they need a halo car before they'll gain respect in the enthusiast community

Like Subaru? :lol::rolleyes:

What is it you class as a Halo car? Does a 5.0 V8 luxury sedan with 429hp for $40grand count? Or maybe a 348hp RWD sports car that can be had for less than 30? Maybe they need something to set them apart from the rest...like maybe a massive warranty, or, more standard features than any other car in any comparative class? What does Hyundai have to do to gain your respect? Build a flying car for less money than an Impreza?

I just blew the VF40 on my LGT... They gave me a 2013 Sonata 2.0t as a loaner until my LGT is done on Friday and it is a dog.. I honestly figured (before research) maybe 180-200 BHP.. Its 274. I drove my LGT the day before I got this loaner and trust me.. there is no comparison whatsoever. I do like the key less start, F1 style paddle shifters and blue tooth however! All of which I can live without.. I like to drive.. Sonata is not a drivers car at all.

I agree that hyundai has pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to be a very competitive car brand, even a market leader, but we're still too close to the time when they were shitty econoboxes. They need to continue to innovate and produce quality product, and they need a halo car before they'll gain respect in the enthusiast community

Catering to the enthusiast community is sure fire way to remain a niche auto maker and a tiny blip on the the sales charts. You cater to the enthusiasts AFTER you have quality mainstream product that sells in volume. Need I remind you that Hyundai/Kia's(7.3%) sales dwarfs Subaru's(2.7%). Bag on Hyundai all you want but they clearly have the U.S. market figured out.

IMO Hyundai has come really far. You get a lot of bang for your buck. I test drove once and it was nice and well equipped. But it wasn't exciting, not a driver's car and I found the build quality to be just OK. Along with low residual value I won't be buying one anytime soon.

We've been looking for an SUV and I want to go look at the new Santa Fe. I just can't seem to get myself to buy one. Besides I've found that Hyundai dealers aren't the best to work with.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I just blew the VF40 on my LGT... They gave me a 2013 Sonata 2.0t as a loaner until my LGT is done on Friday and it is a dog.. I honestly figured (before research) maybe 180-200 BHP.. Its 274. I drove my LGT the day before I got this loaner and trust me.. there is no comparison whatsoever. I do like the key less start, F1 style paddle shifters and blue tooth however! All of which I can live without.. I like to drive.. Sonata is not a drivers car at all.

This is funny, I drove an LGT 5EAT back to back with my 2.0T and that legacy wouldn't stand a chance. Especially once they get going. The MT is definitely quicker when it comes to the legacy, and more of a contender to the Sonata as far as performance goes. I'm sure the LGT "handles" better but in a straight line, it doesn't stand a chance.

IMO Hyundai has come really far. You get a lot of bang for your buck. I test drove once and it was nice and well equipped. But it wasn't exciting, not a driver's car and I found the build quality to be just OK. Along with low residual value I won't be buying one anytime soon.

We've been looking for an SUV and I want to go look at the new Santa Fe. I just can't seem to get myself to buy one. Besides I've found that Hyundai dealers aren't the best to work with.

I highly recommend a look at the new Santa Fe turbo, very well equipped for it's class and price point.

I'm glad you brought up residual(resale) value.... 36month residual on your Volvo is 47% and 60month residual is 31%. And the residuals on your Subaru are 47% and 34% vs a Sonata SE 2.0T @ 62% for 36 and 45% for 60. That is dramatically in favor of the Hyundai.

Volvo: http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=Volvo&modelname=S60&year=2012

Subaru: http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=Subaru&modelname=LEGACY+2.5GT&year=2012

Sonata: http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=Hyundai&modelname=SONATA&year=2013

Archived