LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

So on a stock engine, with stock intake, AVO Inlet, KBHH, BNR 68HTA, CHFC DP, IPT QTE, GS TMIC, DW65C, DW850SFIs, GS 3-Port BCS, and JDM TGVDs,

and using the DW FI calculator,

80% IDC should net me ~450 CHP at 738 cc/min. That's ~340 AWHP with a likely nice broad torque curve, which is within target goals.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me thinks the 340awhp is a tad bit on the high side with that set up unless you are using a Dyna Pak to measure. On my dyno I would say that 300awhp is a good number with that set up. My own SpecB took more mods to reach less (on pump gas) with a FP68HTA (and my turbo was a factory freak). I sold Mr. Mago my FP68HTA when I built his car. Many more mods than your set up and he hit 330awhp on e85 on my dyno (which equates to 396awhp on DSports Dyno Jet)..

I thought the DW site was a bit generous...all else equal. :)

I figure 300/350 AWHP/TQ on 93 pump should be about right.

Since I'm 6MT, in what gear do you usually do you usually do your pulls? Presume 4th, but curious.

I thought the DW site was a bit generous...all else equal. :)

I figure 300/350 AWHP/TQ on 93 pump should be about right.

Since I'm 6MT, in what gear do you usually do you usually do your pulls? Presume 4th, but curious.

4th for the 6MT. 3rd for the 5MT.

Dont get caught up on the numbers too much. They are just numbers and any tool can be manipulated to show a generous output. If the car drives amazing and puts a huge smile on your face, thats winning. 300awhp in a Subie is a lot of fun. 400awhp in a Subie is a sh*t ton of fun, but also enough to make one customer lose his ability to hold in the pee pee. Dead stop to 150mph in about 1/2 mile and he straight lost it on my alcantera. Last test ride I gave.

Siegel-tuned on a VF46 with typical stage 2 bits, was pure fun. Car pulled really hard off the line, and huffed equally hard to about 55-5750 RPM, then dropped-off - pretty typical for these VF40series.

Expect similar feel from a smooth tune, but the power band should be a heck of a lot bigger, and more durable up-top, with the Stage 3 bits.

• Moderators
I was happy with the vf52 power for a while. Second gear up to about 5500rpm was a blast.

Really excited to see what this JMP BNR 16g is capable of. Should start installation this week or beginning of next.

Hurry up!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have a 16g and while i like the turbo alot, It really is the middle of the road. I think the VF40 was a good match for the car. The gear ratios and syncros are matched to the power given by the VF40. The 16g is a decent little bump, but lag becomes a little more noticeable.

Turkeylord, i'd like to get you opinions of the HTA68 and how it compares to a 16g because sometimes I wish I went with that. When I was commuting on the highway, i thought I picked too small of a turbo. I still feel that way sometimes but now my commute is more backroads and in-town. The turbo lag is definitely something I notice. I know i need to get a better tune, mine is decently rich, especially when boost is building, but I dont think I could go back to a VF40 sized turbo. I have a bunch of mods to go in, namely injectors and some TGV deletes and I have a FMIC i've contemplated putting in. Matching all of this to a 16g is kinda a waste, so I am curious to see what you have to say about the HTA68.

When I was actively looking for a bigger turbo, I was thinking I wanted the HTA68, but after a bunch of research, it looked like a TD06 20g was right about where I wanted to be.

Would you be interested in my BNR HTA68? I've been noodling going back down to a 16g/VF52.

Thanks but I already bought a new Blouch 16g from my installer.

I'm so sick of this car, I just want it to be over. Get the turbo and injectors in and then tune and be done. I just want to drive it without being afraid it's going to blow up and leave me in financial ruins.

/vent mode

I have a 16g and while i like the turbo alot, It really is the middle of the road. I think the VF40 was a good match for the car. The gear ratios and syncros are matched to the power given by the VF40. The 16g is a decent little bump, but lag becomes a little more noticeable.

Turkeylord, i'd like to get you opinions of the HTA68 and how it compares to a 16g because sometimes I wish I went with that. When I was commuting on the highway, i thought I picked too small of a turbo. I still feel that way sometimes but now my commute is more backroads and in-town. The turbo lag is definitely something I notice. I know i need to get a better tune, mine is decently rich, especially when boost is building, but I dont think I could go back to a VF40 sized turbo. I have a bunch of mods to go in, namely injectors and some TGV deletes and I have a FMIC i've contemplated putting in. Matching all of this to a 16g is kinda a waste, so I am curious to see what you have to say about the HTA68.

When I was actively looking for a bigger turbo, I was thinking I wanted the HTA68, but after a bunch of research, it looked like a TD06 20g was right about where I wanted to be.

Sadly, I don't have many miles with mine. Didn't really get past the break-in stage and finish a power tune. So, my opinion is probably a little premature, but it did seem a little slower to spool up for DD. Again, take that with a big grain of salt. I'm sure top end power would be much better, but I didn't get that far.

It all depends on the size of the hot side and the supporting mods and the fuel used.

For my own FP 68HTA (which I considered a factory freak), I had a 7mm hot side. 8mm hot side moved the boost hit to the right of the curve by about 500-1000rpm (I tested). For the street car/stoplight assassin I highly recommend the 7mm hot side with this turbo. the turbo was originally designed for the EVO, so it really wakes up at higher boost levels. On my own car at 22-23psi she "Came Alive". To hit these boost levels safely took e85 (I am in So California).

Anything above 22-23psi and the turbo was a monster. With the 7mm hot side I could hit 23psi by 3500rpm (on e85) which made for a real terror between stop lights and combined with a SepcB 6MT allowed me to pull on LS1 Vets on the free way.

It all depends on the size of the hot side and the supporting mods and the fuel used.

For my own FP 68HTA (which I considered a factory freak), I had a 7mm hot side. 8mm hot side moved the boost hit to the right of the curve by about 500-1000rpm (I tested). For the street car/stoplight assassin I highly recommend the 7mm hot side with this turbo. the turbo was originally designed for the EVO, so it really wakes up at higher boost levels. On my own car at 22-23psi she "Came Alive". To hit these boost levels safely took e85 (I am in So California).

Anything above 22-23psi and the turbo was a monster. With the 7mm hot side I could hit 23psi by 3500rpm (on e85) which made for a real terror between stop lights and combined with a SepcB 6MT allowed me to pull on LS1 Vets on the free way.

I recall back in the day my Tuner TA was trying to talk me into that turbo. He really liked it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I recall back in the day my Tuner TA was trying to talk me into that turbo. He really liked it.

It had its time. For maybe about 1 year it was the "hot ticket" turbo. Since been replaced by the 18gxtr, 1.5xtr, EFR options and more. But honestly it was a very good turbo for me. I had zero complaints.

• 1 year later...
I'm new to subaru I have a 08 lagacy spec.b the turbo blew n inlet i was wondering if i could put a vf52 in with stock tmic?

With a tune? Sure..

Definitely NEED a tune - but to really be even thinking of it a larger fuel pump is also a good plan at a minimum....;)

And your tuner will most likely request you get a Cobb Accessport and electronic boost controller module (EBC):lol:

You can certainly get away with stock injectors (Max/myself/others have proven it) - but to get full on power I hear they are also a good addition:p

I would also expect to deal with an I/C issue as well - stock may hold up for little while - but at any increased boost - it becomes prone to bend tabs and leak over time.....:eek: Now your into a GrimSpeed top mount.... YES = worth every penny:wub:

It's a good fit for the car but certainly not just a drop in and go option...:spin::wub:

• I Donated
I would also expect to deal with an I/C issue as well - stock may hold up for little while - but at any increased boost - it becomes prone to bend tabs and leak over time.....:eek: Now your into a GrimSpeed top mount....

Or you could just do the BP mod. I don't think BMB is selling the kits any more, but the plans are out there, and you could theoretically buy the C channel and cut it yourself.

Fuel pump and EBC are also not necessary. I ran a DW pump on my 05 LGT but not my 07 Spec.B, and ran the BNR 16G on both. I also had a fairly low-mod approach on the 07 compared to the 05, with BP TMIC, 3-port BCS at tuner's request, and the catted DP and AP that came with the car -- left some power on the table but had a safe dyno tune. It's theoretically possible to do a VF52 on the cheap... Used VF52, used AP, BP mod TMIC, cheap catted DP, e-tune. You're probably still looking at $1500+ all in, though.

Plus, if you don't clear out the debris from the blown turbo, probably including removing the banjo bolt filters, the new turbo is going to fail again.

I just got a 08 leg 2.5 spec.B and the turbo is blown it says the one that is in it 14411aa671 so from what I have seen that's a vf46 is the vf 40 the stock one for this car I am brand new and this is going to be my first build need any help i can get please should i stay with vf46 or vf40 everything else is stock it came with a cai and i just put a aftermarket turbo inlet in just waiting to see what turbo I should go with

^^^Read, read and read some more. If the turbo goes there is a fair amount that needs to be done to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Bulletproof kits are available on eBay. I just bought one not too long ago. That said, I totally agree that you could source the channel and straps to DIY it.