LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all Happy New Year everyone! Second of all, I got couple questions for yall since Im nowhere near as educated on these matters as you seem to be..... So...

I got a 2005 LGT MT with 110K original stock motor and turbo

3" TBE

Cobb AI

Cobb AP

Not installed yet:

DW65

850cc side feeds

Perrin TMIC

GS EBCS

Headers and Catless Uppipe

Perrin Turbo Inlet

Im trying to figure out what turbo upgrade I should go with? I want more power then vf52 but I also don't want to blow up anything because I drive the car on the regular bases. Im leaning towards BNR 18G but I wanted to see what other turbo manufacturers and turbo sizes yall could recommend me.

Edited by nikitos05

• I Donated
I want more power then vf52 but I also don't want to blow up anything because I drive the car on the regular bases.

The more you do to a car, the more likely it is to blow up, especially at that kind of mileage.

First of all Happy New Year everyone! Second of all, I got couple questions for yall since Im nowhere near as educated on these matters as you seem to be..... So...

I got a 2005 LGT MT with 110K original stock motor and turbo

3" TBE

Cobb AI

Cobb AP

Not installed yet:

DW65

850cc side feeds

Perrin TMIC

GS EBCS

Headers and Catless Uppipe

Perrin Turbo Inlet

Im trying to figure out what turbo upgrade I should go with? I want more power then vf52 but I also don't want to blow up anything because I drive the car on the regular bases. Im leaning towards BNR 18G but I wanted to see what other turbo manufacturers and turbo sizes yall could recommend me.

Talk with Mike Kinsman of http://www.tuningalliance.com before you spend your money. He's the one tuner you want tuning your car. He can get you all the parts and turbo you need

He really is that great. Tell him I sent you.

Max

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
I read some posts that there has been oil consumption when replacing the turbo, can anyone weigh in about that?

I have that issue. The problem was 6 dollar fix, it was the oil filler tube "o" ring. It had a crack and with increased crankcase pressure It vents atomized oil out. Look where the tube and block comes together, if there's an oil film there I'd replace the "o" ring. Hope this helps

Update, So Fare so Good. After flushing the engine with 20 Quarts of oil, Cleaning the oil cooler, Changing the oil pan, changing the oil feed line to the Oil filter sandwich plate and getting a 40 micron filter for the ipt oil kit i have no issues. just installed a G/S TMIC in December no tune yet (soon) on the first turbo i didn't hear any spooling noise but know it sounds like a plane is about to take off. you live and learn, next up fuel pump and injectors and I'm done. Edited by HellShadow70

Does anyone know what "style" wastegate actuator the "V3" BNR turbos uses? Ether just the actuator and rod with a matching bend profile or including the bracket?

I want to change to a 0.8 bar actuator with more throw to smooth out part throttle response and to have more adjustability in the peek effency range. I'm getting over 15psi at just wastegate boost and a 3psi delta between target and minimum isn't enough. Taking one turn out of the preload allowed it to crack open slightly earlier, but didn't reduce the peak.

I've reached out to Brian via a few different medium without success.

Edit: to the best that I can tell it appears he kept the stock VF40 geometry. It's amazing that he can change the prices that he does. The compressor and turbin housings are totally reengineered peaces that mirror the stock system closely for an odd ball low production application.

Edited by utc_pyro
Went out and looked at the turbo sitting in my car and compared it to pictures from my old turbo and ones online of other tur

• 6 months later...

So my VF52 is on it's way out. I need a turbo soon, as I'm tuning on 10/11. BNRs seem like a good option. I want to keep my UP and DP, I'm on a DW65c with stock injectors on parallel feed AP rails. Grimmspeed TMIC. Looking for around 300WHP/350WTQ, 93 octane fuel. I'm thinking a 16g should be plenty, or would I need to go to an 18g?

Any other options available?

I don't think you can do 400 chp (300 whp) with stock injectors.. Even with 650s and bnr16g, I hit 225 whp (stock gutted pipes/tmic) back in 2010.. up from ~160 whp stock.

I'm not gonna be pissed if I don't hit 300, I just want a good, safe tune. Last time around she it 271WHP with a VF52 and a less-than-ideal clutch. Tuner thought the setup was good for more, but the clutch hated me.

Everything Iv'e read on these forums and elsewhere says we're not going to get much above lower 300's chp without fuel mods.

I too wanted 300whp too

With that said ...

I have (or had):

2005 LGT 5MT

rebuilt engine in 2014

(New STI Short block) heads redone

Assume factory stock parts and position except these mods

Perrin rubber inlet hose

BNR 16G

Avo TMI

Catless up pipe (Not sure of brand) Xtreme?

Cobb catted down pipe

Magnaflow cat back exhaust

Car tuned at TIC by Dominic in Mar or May of 2015

Ran out of fuel. 100% injector duty cycle.

Dominic said it felt like it could go more but needed fuel mods.

I asked him to turn it down to 90% duty cycle and I'll live with it until I'm ready for the fuel mods.

Result was ~236whp.

He recommended larger injectors and higher flow fuel pump.

It then became an argument between top feed or deatschwerks.

Something for another thread.

The following Friday, I weighed the car with me in it at a local scrap yard on my way to the drag strip.

Did several runs until I had them consistent and wasn't getting any faster. Then did the math for HP number. Dyno's aren't calibrated for accuracy like a truck scale is so I wanted to double check

The math said ~260whp.

Assuming ~21% (17-25) loss thru the drive train; that would put it at ~320chp. So, seems what I've read and is posted in these forums is quite plausible.

Keep in mind these are not definitive perfect numbers but just observed data with a few assumptions on the final math. it's not an argument for or against anything. So, poopoo what i've said or take it for what it is and do what you think you need to do to achieve your goals.

I have the parts to make the needed fuel changes and the plan was to go to an 18g if the fuel changes didn't measure up. But, car was totaled Aug2017 when I rear ended a ford expedition with a @#$%^ receiver hitch. Another story for another thread.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Pic1

So this is my current build:

Apexi dry filter

Grimmspeed TMIC

VF52

DW65C pump

OEM injectors on Agency Power fuel rails

STI crank

King bearings

Manley 99.75 pistons

Manley H-Tuff rods

STI cams

Brian Crower Intake valve set

Brian Crower SS exhaust valve set

ARP head studs

Brian Crower valve springs and retainers

Killer B Oil Baffle

Killer B Oil Pickup

Cometic Subaru EJ25 100mm Bore .030" Head Gasket

STI 11mm Oil Pump

Perrin Headers

Grimmspeed UP

Cobb catted DP

Borla exhaust

Want to swap out the turbo with something else. Another 52 or something better. Not going bigger on fuel. My previous dyno below:

xCOh4dH6I3pBvP95YvqHKB0LARMTJwUjyBg5NqhEM0iY5xP9R7HzYjy219OjtvWD5-B_Y9JugBPqusZugQkBZ2rJNSsQE81occ4JHvmf37yRn3r1eF-uC5V22pJxZ1xlenEZjksSFVNITQdbdgA_Wv7y-hWR-IxuypkiyUmuB9PV4NTY_9UvsP_EhyfuRqbJ1BiENxItaNtsK_ZLd6eoxfE28TAh18iDsJ5qY-53xLlzlIYdIfZoe78guUR5_10SGZbbVfohddY6jYU1dUpC9M_Rs0SFCDx8QbmhWg_Am9NPf_O91so-T8egKIe6aDWfkrFNEyfkfVFbas4m4k7wWM8Axx0vp6iPZzvsuFksrhCs0bOQ0r4zVnj1oneFqNI5CjMcb9Cla4fYBydUTueneL-xEXQWGW_tBeCSd8wrJNWkU0Ag_DZpAQW3ntiX7yED9fw3-wX4RFci3PE1HiAkEqx05Fg162sgLdiMDKEkDSH_9IEox8IS-2OHR-6pln60-Q730w0txfp3wdIzglzuatMZB9w-LlelHofCwR5IC7nITHyJFmaKPUZlHV22dLGqeoY7boLOfKapdXn8WTptqQHfPuyHorycuhyAkPVhRA=s1500

Only difference between this engine and the one dynoed there is that engine had OEM rods and Wiesco drop-ins, and OEM cams. I figure the BNR EVO3 16g is perfect, and may even fatten up my power and torque curves.

Based on this: http://www.deatschwerks.com/fuel-calculators/fuel-injector-calculator

With a 90% duty cycle, 375 chp is about the most you can get - it ends up being 547 CC injectors, and IIRC, stock is 550. Using 25% drivetrain losses, that's 281 whp.

And of course, dynos can be calibrated differently. That 300 whp above could be another dyno's 260 whp. Without a baseline run, it's hard to know.