LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Culprit of my struggles, i did this to my self and paid dearly. the first time i installed the turbo a should have cut the lines to separate them, but like a jackass not thinking clearly i decided to bend the center peace that hold the 2 lines together on a vice,hammer and screw driver.

Attached Thumbnails http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=211487&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1435107747 http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=211488&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1435107747 http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=211489&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1435107747

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK Boys and Girls, This is an update. BNR 16G went Kaboom :nono:after 3 oil changes with the ipt 2.1 oil kit :soap_box:. sent the turbo back to BNR and Bryan tells me it's not a 16G like i ordered and payed for, it's a 18G. I ordered a 16g he sends me a 18G :eek:(SMH). so i"m under the impression that it's under warranty Apr 30, 2015,yeah OK. Bryan just charged me $385.00 to change the cartridge :spin:oil starvation is not covered and he's sending a -4 Line. But,But, i have a ipt oil kit :confused: Not Covered.

So now Bryan wants me to get a Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, Barstock Street Tee, 1/8" Female Pipe x 1/8" Male Pipe x 1/8" Female Pipe $8.00 , -4 to 1/8 npt fitting and -4 to -4 Mail coupling $18.00, 40 micron filtter for the ipt oil filter replacement part# 704-404FS40 $46.14 From XPR.com so i can feed oil from the sti sandwich plate. motor mount bolts are seized to take the oil pan out, so i jacked the engine up and they broke :ohhh:. so a set of group n sti mounts are on the way $125.00. bought 15qt of oil to flush the engine, $65.00 (i have some filters). also Bought 10w-40 synthetic oil $45.00, gasket Maker $14.00, McMaster-Carr O-rings $17.00 Shipped, ipt order for some other parts was $25.80 and i had went ahead and purchased a Grimmspeed AOL

$277.19 :hide:. For the amount of money i paid for the car and all the crap i've put in to it, i could have bought me a GTR :lol:. But at the end, The 06 Legacy Gt Makes Me Happy? WTF. :argue: With my self.

Edited by HellShadow70

Almost 83,000 miles on my vf52, run the stock oil feed line with banjo filters removed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
OK Boys and Girls, This is an update. BNR 16G went Kaboom :nono:after 3 oil changes with the ipt 2.1 oil kit :soap_box:. sent the turbo back to BNR and Bryan tells me it's not a 16G like i ordered and payed for, it's a 18G. I ordered a 16g he sends me a 18G :eek:(SMH). so i"m under the impression that it's under warranty Apr 30, 2015,yeah OK. Bryan just charged me $385.00 to change the cartridge :spin:oil starvation is not covered and he's sending a -4 Line. But,But, i have a ipt oil kit :confused: Not Covered.

So now Bryan wants me to get a Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, Barstock Street Tee, 1/8" Female Pipe x 1/8" Male Pipe x 1/8" Female Pipe $8.00 , -4 to 1/8 npt fitting and -4 to -4 Mail coupling $18.00, 40 micron filtter for the ipt oil filter replacement part# 704-404FS40 $46.14 From XPR.com so i can feed oil from the sti sandwich plate. motor mount bolts are seized to take the oil pan out, so i jacked the engine up and they broke :ohhh:. so a set of group n sti mounts are on the way $125.00. bought 15qt of oil to flush the engine, $65.00 (i have some filters). also Bought 10w-40 synthetic oil $45.00, gasket Maker $14.00, McMaster-Carr O-rings $17.00 Shipped, ipt order for some other parts was $25.80 and i had went ahead and purchased a Grimmspeed AOL

$277.19 :hide:. For the amount of money i paid for the car and all the crap i've put in to it, i could have bought me a GTR :lol:. But at the end, The 06 Legacy Gt Makes Me Happy? WTF. :argue: With my self.

Sorry that you have oiling issues. Some cars have more issues than others. I do my best to try and help solve the problems.

When the shaft is purple blue and all colors of the rainbow the oil was shut off to the turbocharger.

Sorry that you have oiling issues. Some cars have more issues than others. I do my best to try and help solve the problems.

When the shaft is purple blue and all colors of the rainbow the oil was shut off to the turbocharger.

Well Bryan, what bothers me is that if i would have been told to do it like i have it now from the start, then it would have been done that way. if I'm told that if i buy something like a turbo and need to get an oil feed kit so it will be covered under a one year warranty and then the turbo goes then it should be cover. just like my kicker substation with one year warranty, if you install with a kicker wiring kit you get an extra year.

it is running, last weekend changed the ipt filter from 10 to 40 micron and saw two metal flakes on it so yesterday i changed the oil filter with just 50 miles. also have the turbo oil feed coming from the sandwich plate.

Well Bryan, what bothers me is that if i would have been told to do it like i have it now from the start, then it would have been done that way. if I'm told that if i buy something like a turbo and need to get an oil feed kit so it will be covered under a one year warranty and then the turbo goes then it should be cover. just like my kicker substation with one year warranty, if you install with a kicker wiring kit you get an extra year.

it is running, last weekend changed the ipt filter from 10 to 40 micron and saw two metal flakes on it so yesterday i changed the oil filter with just 50 miles. also have the turbo oil feed coming from the sandwich plate.

When I sell a turbo I try my best to make people aware of the inherent issues the LGTs have. I can understand your frustration. If the system is all working properly that oil kit does perfectly fine. But as we all know there is a huge issue with oil supply on these cars.

Say you built an engine for someone and they knocked a hole in the pan and kept driving on it until the engine seized. It comes back to you all tore up, would you warranty it?

Hopefully this oiling issue sorted out.

But I haven't heard about nearly as many oiling issues in those? Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to them:P
I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

When I sell a turbo I try my best to make people aware of the inherent issues the LGTs have. I can understand your frustration. If the system is all working properly that oil kit does perfectly fine. But as we all know there is a huge issue with oil supply on these cars.

Say you built an engine for someone and they knocked a hole in the pan and kept driving on it until the engine seized. It comes back to you all tore up, would you warranty it?

Hopefully this oiling issue sorted out.

No, I wouldn't warranty it. the difference in my case is that i don't have a hole in my oil pan. and it turns out that the oil leak that i was seeing by the oil filter is not motor oil, it's power steering oil. ;)

How do the WRX / STI's oil supply differ from the LGT? I am curious if there is something we could change to make our oiling more similar to theirs so we don't run into these issues.

My advice from now on, Run your shit from a sandwich plate with a 40 Micron ipt oil kit (if mike has it) or you can get the filter from XPR.com. like i would have run it from the freeeeeeeeeeeeeeaking beginning if i would have been instructed too. :cool:

The Blind Leading The Blind.

Edited by HellShadow70