LegacyGT.com

What would you guys like next?

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would I need to tune again for this since it doesn't sound like it will arrive in time?

You won't need to retune with the replacement of the OEM charge pipe. Although, you may want to do a boost leak check afterward, just to be sure you didn't introduce any leaks with the install.

You won't need to retune with the replacement of the OEM charge pipe. Although, you may want to do a boost leak check afterward, just to be sure you didn't introduce any leaks with the install.

I assume you mean something more substantial than watching my boost gauge to see if I'm hitting 17.5psi. :)

Bopper, since I am new to turbos, can you give a brief explanation of how a boost leak test would be performed?

I assume you mean something more substantial than watching my boost gauge to see if I'm hitting 17.5psi. :)

Yeah, if you have a leak your turbo may be over spun trying to hit target boost, as well as throwing your fuel trims off.

Bopper, since I am new to turbos, can you give a brief explanation of how a boost leak test would be performed?

Due to the location and compact packaging of the 5th Gen turbo, we reap the benefits of quicker spool up, however working on it also presents some challenges.

On a boost leak test (compressor side of turbo) you're wanting to verify you don't have any internal leakage (Bypass Valve or Blow Off Valve) or external leakage through flanges, couplings, hoses, etc... Each type of leak presents different symptoms and problems.

The method I used was to remove the Intake Duct, which is bolted to the flange of the turbo compressor housing. I had a test flange made up to allow me to pressurize the entire compressor side of turbo to the throttle body and intake manifold. I used an air pressure regulator set at 20# to maintain air pressure while listening for any leaks.

With this method I was able to determine my OEM bypass valve was leaking (at under 10#), and that I had a small leak on the intercooler/throttle body hose.

P1010005.thumb.jpg.98d51bee33c49498275a002b2e0e754e.jpg

Ok, here is an update. I have some good new and some bad news. The bad news. There is no room for the stock BOV in stock location. :( The stock BOV is just too big and there is no room. So here is the good news. I had to relocate the stock BOV. I had to go and dig through all the hoses at autozone. They are really cool and let go back in the store room and told me just don't make a mess. ;) I found a hose that would run all the way from the were the stock BOV is to new location and clear the stock airbox and snorkel. I had to change the BOV. The charge pipe will require you to change to a '05-'09 LGT/'08+ WRX style BOV. The WRX/LGT flange gave the most clearance and the BOV are available everywhere.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/20130518_122458_zps0564782b.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/20130518_122441_zpsa05b69c7.jpg

Tell me what you guys think. I'm working hard to do this right. I can make a package and get you guys a deal BOVs. I'm a retailer and I carry all the major brands. Bryan

Thanks again to Matt for letting me do all of these test fits.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I think he means he already has an aftermarket BPV that fits the stock location and/or the stock flange

I didn't know if he was talking about having an older aftermarket BPV valve or new BPV.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I can get Go Fast bits, Turbosmart, Cobb , and TurboXS. The lowest price one is the Turbosmart recirculating for $179.99. But, should be able to get you guys a better price.

Ok, here is an update. I have some good new and some bad news. The bad news. There is no room for the stock BOV in stock location. :( The stock BOV is just too big and there is no room. So here is the good news. I had to relocate the stock BOV. I had to go and dig through all the hoses at autozone. They are really cool and let go back in the store room and told me just don't make a mess. ;) I found a hose that would run all the way from the were the stock BOV is to new location and clear the stock airbox and snorkel. I had to change the BOV. The charge pipe will require you to change to a '05-'09 LGT/'08+ WRX style BOV. The WRX/LGT flange gave the most clearance and the BOV are available everywhere.

Tell me what you guys think. I'm working hard to do this right. I can make a package and get you guys a deal BOVs. I'm a retailer and I carry all the major brands. Bryan

Thanks again to Matt for letting me do all of these test fits.

I also already have an aftermarket BPV in the OEM location, However I'd be Ok with the relocation, and use a new Synapse DV as long as fitment would not be an issue.

Question about the flange that mounts to the compressor side of the turbo. Did you have a groove made for an O-ring flange seal like the OEM charge pipe has?

BTW .... after you get this wrapped up, you really need to make us a better/longer intercooler to throttle body hose. I've blown that OEM hose off the throttle body several times. It's a real PITA. :eek::spin::spin:

Please :wub:

I can get Go Fast bits, Turbosmart, Cobb , and TurboXS. The lowest price one is the Turbosmart recirculating for $179.99. But, should be able to get you guys a better price.

I bought a Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port 34mm BOV earlier... will this work with the setup you developed? I'm still learning, so sorry if this is a stupid question...

I bought a Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port 34mm BOV earlier... will this work with the setup you developed? I'm still learning, so sorry if this is a stupid question...

That's what I have too and my understanding is that it will NOT work with the new flange.

That's what I have too and my understanding is that it will NOT work with the new flange.

Hmmmm.... Ok... But could I still just swap it for the OEM (in the OEM location)?

Archived