LegacyGT.com

Power steering o-ring fix

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! I am so happy this worked out for me too. The first time I tried it I put the o-ring in the hole and pushed the elbow into it. I wouldn't recommend that method at all, as I cut the o-ring right in half..... Well, my car was out of commission over thanksgiving for a couple days because of dealer parts availability... Got another and put it on the elbow first, works great! I can't believe the dealer quotes $1k for parts and labor to replace a power steering pump for a $1 o-ring...

• 1 month later...
Hoping someone who has done this can help me. The steering on my legacy has gotten very heavy recently with the weather turning cold. I replaced the belt (it was very chipped ), but it hasn't gotten much better. I inspected the pump and it doesn't look like there is residue around it. Also I don't see any foaming or bubbles in the PS reservoir. Could this o-ring fix still help or is it something else?

The o-ring is cheap, try it and see. Usually you can hear if air is being sucked in and compressed (cavitation ya know). I recommend 2 placed on the elbow with the first acting as a spacer to put the other down into the bore of the port.

21570127549_640d575f2f_z.jpg

Edited by rmoore5

• 2 months later...

Just tried to replace the O-ring before reading this post today. Used a generic a o-ring it's letting all sorts of air into the system. I think I'm going to go get the Subaru part.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Got hit by this problem. I guess one too many times pulling the pump and clamping it out of the way, upside down on the wheel well with hoses all akimbo!

The closest standard O-ring is a 014 (dash number) but when I tried it, got a leak just like everyone else. However two of them seem to work if you put them on the spigot back to back. Temporary, maybe permanent fix. If you do this, don't torque down too hard on the clamp bolt as the flange doesn't quite meet the casting properly and you may crack something. Just snug it down and make a note to pick up the correct O-ring at the dealer.

BTW, a leak at this joint is quite dramatic -- with red foam spewing out the reservoir cap almost immediately. What a mess!

UPDATE:

Well, this worked for only 10 days or so, about 100 miles, before it started sucking air again. Still, long enough to get the official part from the dealer (who had to special order). No leaks using the supplied silicone ring, which appears to be metric. It measures about M2 x 13 and that is a standard size.

Edited by birkhoff
Update with outcome

• 8 months later...
I did not have a leak, but I did this for maintenance due to my car making noise when lock to lock., I also switched out the stock fluid with Amsoil synthetic PS fluid. Car is so easy to turn with one finger. If you do the OEM O-ring do the fluid also. Nothing is life time.

I replaced this o-ring about 3 months ago, and I believe I tried to install it in the pump and not on the elbow. Symptoms started up again recently and I noticed new fluid on the top of my pump. On inspection the new o-ring was kinked and broke when I tried to reinstall.

New o-ring installed on the elbow, seated tightly and everything is fine again.

Also question, I was helping a friend work on his 06 Impreza OBS, his pump is leaking and whining. Is it the same part number across the board?

I replaced this o-ring about 3 months ago, and I believe I tried to install it in the pump and not on the elbow. Symptoms started up again recently and I noticed new fluid on the top of my pump. On inspection the new o-ring was kinked and broke when I tried to reinstall.

New o-ring installed on the elbow, seated tightly and everything is fine again.

Also question, I was helping a friend work on his 06 Impreza OBS, his pump is leaking and whining. Is it the same part number across the board?

Booze I responded in another thread, and before here. I used 2 of the factory o-rings to help space the bottom one down into the bore, I think this helps the sealing. Not sure about the wrx numbers without looking it up.

Yes, thanks I saw your post. I think my troubles are solved with it this time. Steering seems to be lighter than ever in fact.

I'd be willing to get the o-ring is the same for multiple models & years. Know soon.

Yes, thanks I saw your post. I think my troubles are solved with it this time. Steering seems to be lighter than ever in fact.

I'd be willing to get the o-ring is the same for multiple models & years. Know soon.

Your welcome Booze or do you go by Mr. September now? Ha! Got the calendar today, seems to be a quality unit and some nice cars also!

The dual o-ring seemed to work for me for a couple years. Can't tell much now that my GT has become a garage queen.

But retirement is good:)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks all. I just completed this fix over lunch in the parking lot of my local dealer. I got some dirty looks from a few sales guys wondering wtf I was doing, but no worries.

Good on you showing the waiting customers that owners can maintain these cars!

• 6 months later...
Add me to the list of people who saved hundreds finding this thread (along with BarManBean's thread). Had PS fluid slowly leaking from somewhere, showing up on top of the PS pump. Tried the o-ring fix and it has stopped. With 8.5" wheels it made a noticeable improvement - thank you! Edited by amm203

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

HUGE thanks to everyone in this thread! I noticed my PS reservoir would be "overfilled" when hot and the engine was VERY whiney when cold. I had never flushed the PS fluid since I bought the car 55k miles ago, so I did the turkey baster method with a quart of Valvoline Synth Import ATF (manual rec's Dexron III ATF or Subie ATF-HD, this is supposedly a substitute for ATF-HD). Afterwards got a scary "stutter" in the steering wheel when turning with no improvement in the whine. Was resigned to having the PS pump replaced until I found this thread. Read somewhere the O-ring was a 14x10x2mm, so went Advance Auto Parts, got a generic metric O-ring kit for $8, took about 3 minutes to replace the O-ring on the pump intake connection (the ring looked flat on the outside edges, not rounded), turkey baster'd the fluid again but used a quart of Castrol Dexron VI ATF. Took about 15 minutes of racking the wheel and the entire quart of ATF but finally got the bubbles to stop and the whine went away. Drove around the block and the stutter was gone too! We'll see if it lasts.

Important point:

When people say "PS fluid" or "power steering fluid" it should be clear that you need to check your manual because most of us actually need Automatic Transmission Fluid rather than true "power steering" fluid in the system.

I'm trying to think back to when I replaced my pump last year due to the bearing being really loud... I feel like it took a few days for things to settle down, and for the fluid to look normal.

I just measured a few o-rings I have lying around, they're out of the bags, but I'm almost positive they're for the ps pump. They measured 16mm x 12mm x 2mm, so not sure if that small difference could let air in.

I'd try an oem o-ring before doing anything else, they're only around $2 from the dealer.