LegacyGT.com

Power steering o-ring fix

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE - whining came back even after changing the o-ring on both Subys. Even though the inlet elbow looked fine, it was still allowing air to weep in past the new o-ring. I read on another board that someone used RTV to seal the surface of the inlet and it stopped the leak. So.. on both elbows, I lightly filed the flat mounting surface to verify it was not warped and allow glue to adhere, spread thin coat of RTV black around edges and let dry overnight. Reassembled next morning, everything quiet and like new after the air bled out. Again, thanks to this forum for the idea. I hope the RTV suggestion will help others with same problem.

Thanks for the great thread, guys. My 2008 is having the same issue described here, noisy and rough steering, which is way worse when the temp is below 25 degrees. The reservoir is almost overflowing after a short drive, and the fluid in the reservoir is thick and foamy. There is evidence that it has overflowed some.

I am going to replace the o-ring with the provided instructions, but do not know what P/N I need. I searched the forum, google, everywhere, but could not find the right one for my car - 2008 Legacy SE 2.5i Automatic, 135000 miles. Any help for the P/N would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance--

Edited by turk56

The o-ring part number for my 2009 was 34439FG000.

I tried putting the o-ring into the pump as suggested a few times here, but that just didn't work for me. Every time I tried that, I would get a leak between the plastic elbow and the pump. I made sure that I was inserting the elbow into the pump perfectly straight, but it still would leak. I eventually just threw the o-ring onto the plastic elbow, stuck it into the pump, and everything seems fine.

The pump still whines a little when my car is cold and I turn the wheel to the left or right a lot, but I'm still happy I did the replacement. The new o-ring was red, compared to the old o-ring which was black. That makes me think they might've improved the design from nitrile rubber to silicone rubber.

I did the turkey baster PS fluid replacement over the summer, but don't think I let the new fluid circulate enough, so that's my next step in trying to quiet things down a little. I also had to replace my PS reservoir cap a few months ago since there was evidence of a small amount of fluid overflowing around the reservoir. I wish you could just replace the seal on the cap, but you have to buy a whole new cap. PS cap part number 34631AG00A.

It's also not a bad idea to have a little extra PS fluid on hand when you replace the o-ring. I lost a little bit of fluid when I pulled the top hose off the pump, but maybe I did something wrong. And since I had to try to reseat the elbow/o-ring a few times, I lost even more fluid. Not much, but enough that I'm glad I had some PS fluid on hand to top off.

You mean the white connector thingy?

It's on a little metal mounting bracket that's held on by the same 10mm bold that holds the inlet elbow. Take off the 10mm bolt and you can lift off the sensor and then lift off the inlet elbow.

• 3 weeks later...
Did anyone notice a leak coming from the pump (or the hose itself) prior to replacing their o-ring? I have an accumulation of some kind of fluid, either engine oil or PS fluid that is on my pump and collecting on the timing belt cover, so I'm not certain where it's originating from. AFAIK, the pump is original with 123k miles on it, so I'm going to replace the O-ring anyways, but I'm curious to see if this is a common issue with leakage.

Did anyone notice a leak coming from the pump (or the hose itself) prior to replacing their o-ring? I have an accumulation of some kind of fluid, either engine oil or PS fluid that is on my pump and collecting on the timing belt cover, so I'm not certain where it's originating from. AFAIK, the pump is original with 123k miles on it, so I'm going to replace the O-ring anyways, but I'm curious to see if this is a common issue with leakage.

Think I have the same thing cause I replaced the o ring and am pretty sure the pump is still leaking somewhere.

Yes, i Had fluid on the pump and around the pump before changing the o-ring.

You know what, I should have thought about that. I replaced the inlet and outlet lines for my ATF filter, as well as the filter themselves, and later noticed it's a bit wet. Should have used new clamps instead of reusing the original ones.

Okay So I've done the job today with my cousin.

This was a Bit cumbersome due to the fact We had to stuff the outflow hose with a wrench attachment and bleed it. You can see Where the New O-Ring was placed. I later just slipped in onto the nozzle and popped it back into the pump.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o280/leihalani/Mobile%20Uploads/20150311_135645_zpsioaetwqy.jpg

After a full flush and really tensioned the belts... sad to say, my pump was deprived too long of fluids that She is standing on her last high heels... I will need a new pump very soon because lock out to lock physical, the steering shudders to the left.

• 4 weeks later...
Replaced my pump that had been leaking for years from the previous owner with a used OEM pump and new o-ring from the dealer. Took a few days and a rallyx to get all the air out, but it feels amazing now.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

*sigh*

I think I read somewhere to get two. Oh well, I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and get another. I hate going to my dealer's parts window. They always treat me like an idiot.. Hmmmmm. I can understand that now.

I put the ring into the pump and then pushed the connector into it.

Next time, I'll try putting the O-ring on the connector and then pushing it into the pump.

Is there a torque setting for that 10mm bolt? I put the old O-ring (black and much thinner than this orange one) back on and it was leaking fluid till I tightened it more than I wanted to.

20151123_211142.jpg.d92694b52ae52c8363c0c75fb903007f.jpg

Don't beat yourself up, it's a tight fit. I had trouble the first time I changed the o-ring, couldn't get a leak free seal by putting the o-ring in the pump. Ended up putting it on the elbow and calling it a day, since it didn't leak that way.

Still had a little PS noise, so I tried again. I bought two o-rings, since I was worried about doing what you did, since it's a tight fit and hard to see if it's going in right. Tried putting the new o-ring directly into the pump again, got a leak free seal the first try, the second time around.

I didn't see a torque spec for the elbow bolt in the fsm.