LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subaru actually issued a technical service bulletin over this and our vehicles are covered.

You can get this replaced for free by the dealer.

I will try to find the documentation but a google search could yield you the same results.

Subaru actually issued a technical service bulletin over this and our vehicles are covered.

You can get this replaced for free by the dealer.

I will try to find the documentation but a google search could yield you the same results.

that's what this thread is discussing... check post #81.

not sure if the JDM dash will show up at a US dealer, you'll want to discuss with your local dealership.

not sure if the JDM dash will show up at a US dealer, you'll want to discuss with your local dealership.

yeah, you are right, at first it's JDM, then i'm living In GEORGIA (not usa), so there is not any authorized dealer. so i'm alone against this problem.

I received recall paperwork in the mail from Subaru stating this very issue. I would contact your local dealer and ask.

dude, did you read the thread? see what he says here:

yeah, you are right, at first it's JDM, then i'm living In GEORGIA (not usa), so there is not any authorized dealer. so i'm alone against this problem.

I got a dash cover for my third gen for 30$ on amazon. Cover Kings

It's good for saving in future from scratch, but mine is broken and it looks very ugly.

• 8 months later...

Just a heads up, if you have had or will have your dash replaced, check to make sure your emergency flashers work prior to leaving the dealership.

I just discovered mine, which was done in August, aren't working and we picked up the wife's today and I made her check and hers weren't working either.

Looks like they just forgot to plug it back in.

When I got mine back I only had defrost on the passenger side and the passenger side air bag is bulging up through that new dash pad. I have another vist scheduled for Thursday for them to try again. Just goes to show you if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. Dealer is promising to make it right, we shall see

• 2 weeks later...

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!

I just had my windshield replaced due to rock chip and came to discover... the tech that replaced my dash forgot TO MOVE THE VIN PLATE TO THE NEW DASH.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/coldsoda/IMG_20161221_143351962_zpsw6j70elv.jpg

I called the dealership that did the work and they thought I was wrong and told me to fly a kite... I showed up and showed them the car and the pictures I took and after bringing it to the service manager he finally believed me and went through the warranty paperwork related to the dash replacement.. Sure enough, on page 8 he saw the paragraph explaining the process to move the VIN plate from the old dash to the new one... He went back and spoke to every tech there and no one has done this for any dash replacements :-0 . Really?

So now I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer after they try to figure out how to order me a new VIN plate....

Guys - make sure you check this when you pick up your car. For those that had theirs done, go check right now and confirm they did move the plate over.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice great dealership> what was the outcome?

Still fighting... SOA says they don't print vin plates and the local department of motor vehicles does. Contacted AZ DMV and they said they don't print vin plates and to contact the MFG..... so I'm trying to escalate to someone at SOA to help me. It can't be OK for me to NOT have a VIN plate. its federal and state law to have one displayed there (I did the research and printed out for reference).

I'm pretty glad I saw this thread. My dash was getting pretty bad in terms of stickiness and in some places, scratching the dash would cause it to crumble away rather than just leaving a mark (especially at the edges, like where the GPS screen is). Dealership said there will be a several month wait but once they call me in to get it done, I'll definitely have to make sure the emergency lights work and that they swapped the VIN plate to the new dashboard. Good looking out guys!

• 1 month later...

Picked up my OBXT this morning, after having the dash replaced. The ashtray mechanism had somehow come apart such that it wouldn't stay closed, the left radio trim piece was not installed correctly, the dash pad right end cap was cracked from forceful removal, and there was a self-tapping screw on the floor of the passenger footwell. I called the service advisor out and made them watch as I fixed the first two items (noting that the shift knob had been reinstalled crooked) and told them they would never touch my cars again. :mad:

I'll be buying a dash pad for my LGT at my own expense and replacing it myself.

Picked up my OBXT this morning, after having the dash replaced. The ashtray mechanism had somehow come apart such that it wouldn't stay closed, the left radio trim piece was not installed correctly, the dash pad right end cap was cracked from forceful removal, and there was a self-tapping screw on the floor of the passenger footwell. I called the service advisor out and made them watch as I fixed the first two items (noting that the shift knob had been reinstalled crooked) and told them they would never touch my cars again. :mad:

I'll be buying a dash pad for my LGT at my own expense and replacing it myself.

What dealer did you go to? Just so I know to stay away from them when I do eventually schedule my airbag recall.

Patriot in North Attleboro. It's unfortunate, the service advisor and manager are both very nice people, and I have no doubt they would make the effort to fix things if I gave them the chance. I just have too much else on my plate to deal with this kind of BS at the moment, and it plays right into my preconceived notion that "if you want it done right, do it yourself." Unfortunately paying for the dash pad and spending the time is the price for that satisfaction.

They had done my airbag recall several months ago, when they ordered my dash pad. The tech left debris (packaging, labels) and there was a small nut and bolt on the floor, but at least nothing was visibly damaged or incorrectly installed.

• 4 weeks later...
So glad I found this thread! I bought my 2008 LGT a couple years ago private sale from a guy, who didn't bother to clean the interior of the car at all when I test drove it. After I bought it from him and started to detail the shit out of it, I noticed my rag was sticking to the dash. Now I know why he didn't clean the rest of the inside to hide this. Literally the only thing wrong with my car. I went to TX 2K17 last weekend and got into the whole "It's time to start modding my car" mood and started browsing the forums. Came across this thread and then noticed the expiration of the Dash Replacement Program is next week! My car is at the dealer now finishing up the new dash install and 2 other recalls. What are the odds? I would have been SO mad if I missed out on this free replacement. Unfortunately, dealer said I've been riding around on a cracked front axle shaft. Oh well, $800 for new axle installed and a new dash. I'll take it!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So could you tell me if your dash has waves in it on the passengers side above the glove box like where the airbag would be? It on the what should be flat part above the glove box on the top. My dealer told me that they are all like this because Subaru went to a different vendor for the dash? Can anyone help me is all of them like this?

Thanks