LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/02/4f8531acd832ea681b16768b5d00176e.jpg

The very same problem with my Outback08. White matte finish when inside and sticky black shiny when under the sunlight!!! Wish there were anything else than a dash cover to clean it.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the ferrari guys have this problem with the 348, 355, amd the 360 (except with the leather dash's), it even happened to my friends 360, they have finally found a simple fix to the sticky dash and sticky buttons..

Easy Off oven cleaner, it works and it doesn't come back!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes - my Outback dashboard is melting and cracking. There is a known problem with Toyota and Nissan and the beginning of complaints about Subaru. There is also a Class Action site looking for info from Subaru owners. Toyota has started a recall. I contacted Subaru who replied saying they knew absolutely nothing about such a problem.

Subaru's are not know for this issue. I've had my car for 10yrs now and live where the temps get up to 110* during mid summer. Dash still looks great and has no sign of cracking or melting. Of course I've always used Dash protectant (Meguiars or Armor All) with UV protectant to block all the UV rays from damaging it.
My wife's balls are delicious.

My '09 OBXT has this over the speedo cluster. Have tried using goo-gone as well as warm soapy water with no effect, other than cleaning the crap stuck to the sticky surface. It is a Florida car and came with this. My 06 LGT, which has lived in New England since new, does not have this problem. The LGT wasn't parked in a garage until it was 3-4 years old, but it did get Aero303 treatment regularly (the OBXT does too, now).

• 1 month later...

reviving this dead thread as i now have the sticky dash issue as well. some detailing gurus suggested i use an all-purpose cleaner diluted 10:1 with a soft bristle brush and wipe off with a microfiber cloth. didnt do shit, i still have a sticky dash. goo-gone also did nothing. i use a sun visor now but its too late...

...please tell me i dont have to get my dash wrapped

Don't know why I'm answering this because I don't have the sticky dash issue. . .but at my job we have this solvent will strip most sticky residues and leave the substrate unharmed.

It's for removing tape residue and sharpie from photgraphic film.

Goo gone has nothing on this product...it's expense but little goes a long way

Definitely test in a unseen area

Just my 2 cents

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SYHWAJK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fOVSvb40G9T22

Mine no longer seems to be an issue, I think it was something I had on it.

But if the dash itself is breaking down in the sun, heat and UV, then no product will work. You'll have to replace the dash.

Well what did you use? I have this forming in the dead center of my dash all the way up to the windshield. Its a bit disconcerting.

I think it was some cleaner/protectant thing that went on too heavy and got tacky in the heat/sun.

I haven't been getting those glossy spots recently.

Google for Toyota or Nissan sticky dash - if yours looks like that then your only hope is a new dash.

I wasn't sure if you used something to clean up the then sticky part...did it just go away naturally?

I'm getting the car detailed next week so I'll mention it to them and see what they can do. Going to finally cash in a gift card from 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, I noticed the other weekend my dash began to have a few shiny spots that were slightly sticky. Then, last weekend driving around in the hot sun I noticed the full-on problem that matches the picture a few posts back almost exactly.

I looked around the house to see what I have and found this:

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/BedBathandBeyond/47601940014500p

Reading it carefully it says it's safe for using to remove bugs and tar from paint, so I figured it can't be THAT harsh. I tested on a small part of the dash on the far passenger side. I sprayed it on a blue shop towel and worked it into about a 2x2 inch part of the dash, scrubbing with decent pressure (but use common sense here). I then wiped it down with a water/dish soap (only a little) combo, followed by water only. Then dry w/ microfiber.

Parked the car in the sun for a few hours, and to my excitement that portion stayed matte and non-sticky. Did the rest of the dash successfully after that. Now we'll see if it lasts, but it only took about 20 minutes to do the whole dash.

I don't know if it would have any ill-effects if left on for a long time, but again, use common sense here and should be okay. The rags did not have any dye or anything that appeared to come off of the dash, other than some dust/dirt stuck to it.

Try at your own risk. It seemed to work (at least for now) for me.

I *think* my problem wasn't the dash itself, but rather a product on the dash.

Can you post a picture of the dash after using the Goof-Off? That stuff scares me - I've used it to strip glues and other nasty stuff before. I wouldn't normally think to try it on the dash.

I had a little comfort in it saying "safe for paint," but still made sure to test it in a small area first. I'm hoping my issue is also some product that may have been applied at some point (not by me in the last three years at least) and won't come back, but we'll see...

I'll grab a picture of the dash when I get home. Honestly though, it looks like you'd expect the dash to look - matte/dull finish. No residue or cracking or removed finish/dye.

I'm planning to intentionally park in the direct sun at work this week to really see if it's resolved. Fingers crossed.

As soon as my car is parked out in the heat for a while it gets sticky again. I beleive my next step is to try and find a dash cover that doesnt look hideous...

It's currently baking out in the sun right now. I'll see what it looks like after work.

• 2 weeks later...

even putting up/taking down my sun visor leaves huge streaks across my sticky dash now

i can't take it anymore, i am going to buy a dash cover. most of them look hideous...but at least i have a black interior. anybody got any ideas on the least noticeable material?