LegacyGT.com

Dohc ej22e

It is good that you posted the sensor plug differences. I usually just swap everything from the previous engine over so that the wiring harness just plugs in and go, so little details like this are very important & should not be overlooked.

As for 1-2-3-4's question, sorry I'm late but yes, the valves will still hit each other if the belt breaks at high speed but using an EJ22 block only lessens the possibility of valve to piston damage, it does not prevent it like the non-interference EJ22. DOHC EJ22s are fully interference engines.

DOHCEJ22E1- the saga of your EJ22D was very interesting- I'm curious- was there valve damage when the timing belt tensioner broke (given the original '95 EJ22 was non-interference in its original configuration)?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DOHCEJ22E1- the saga of your EJ22D was very interesting- I'm curious- was there valve damage when the timing belt tensioner broke (given the original '95 EJ22 was non-interference in its original configuration)?

There was zero valve damage but then the car was only at about 1000 or less rpms when the break happened. Had I been actually up to a good driving speed, I am sure there would have easily been a bent valve in that situation.

DOHC nice to see you back!

and yeah with the heads it's most always valve to valve damage, that's what happened to my heads on the EJ25D it somehow slipped when I did not clutch in and the car bucked because of a jay walker that cut in front of a truck..

the valve was so slightly bent, I'm talking like hundreds of a inch that it ran like poo.

I still got those heads in my storage unit.

• 1 month later...

So, the EJ22D ceased functioning by means of overheating. Long story short, I let someone borrow my car, they did a HELL of a lot of "hooning" and racing when they were asked to do one simple thing, & the head gaskets blew as a result.

So instead of rebuild the engine twice, I'm opting for a brand new approach to the problem. I am going to see if I can go with EJ20K heads or EJ20G heads on an EJ22T block. I have already offered most of what will come off to someone but this isn't the end.

This next build will be the very last one I do for this car. Another DOHC EJ22 hybrid (my "staple", if you will) & a 5spd swap will be what happens in this car's future. I'm glad to have documented the data for others to use in their own builds. The 22D is not a bad engine in the slightest & from what I understand about my own engine, it went through untold amounts of hell before it finally gave in.

So, the EJ22D ceased functioning by means of overheating. Long story short, I let someone borrow my car, they did a HELL of a lot of "hooning" and racing when they were asked to do one simple thing, & the head gaskets blew as a result.

So instead of rebuild the engine twice, I'm opting for a brand new approach to the problem. I am going to see if I can go with EJ20K heads or EJ20G heads on an EJ22T block. I have already offered most of what will come off to someone but this isn't the end.

This next build will be the very last one I do for this car. Another DOHC EJ22 hybrid (my "staple", if you will) & a 5spd swap will be what happens in this car's future. I'm glad to have documented the data for others to use in their own builds. The 22D is not a bad engine in the slightest & from what I understand about my own engine, it went through untold amounts of hell before it finally gave in.

UGGHHH... With friends like that- who needs enemies??

Please post more on your next build- this thread was been very informative.

UGGHHH... With friends like that- who needs enemies??

Please post more on your next build- this thread was been very informative.

Yeah, we're having an issue now because I had to wait this long to get the truth.

I will continue posting in this thread as I tear the 22D down. I will post pics of the teardown & keep the post consistency better than when I was taking pictures of the build.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to hear about the friend destroying your engine. How much crap beating had to happen for that? I've wanted to get my car into (slow) auto-x duty, but wanted to stay N/A, anyone think I should have longevity concerns if I do so?

DOHC, I'm seriously going to start gathering parts to do an EJ22D build, thank you for all the info and clear write up! Couple questions, did I understand correctly that the phase 2 ej22 had higher compression? Would that mean 96 or 97+? (So much easier to find this info about the ej25). My car is a 99OBW with a 5-speed, I've already done head gaskets, and I've got freaking bubbles in the recovery bottle again, although slow. Doesn't get hot or anything yet, but I'm not going to wait for cautostrophic failure. I'm thinking I won't use my heads, I'll get some junkyard ones to go through instead. Mine got shaved 5 thousandths on the last rebuild and they had 190k already on them.

I'm thinking phase 2 EJ22 block with 97-99 EJ25D heads. I don't care about power for now, I want reliability so the wife and I can take my car on our road trips and not wrack up the miles on her newish CRV. Other concern is mileage, the 35mpg highway you got is amazing! Best I've had is 29 on a long haul! Also going to swap my drivetrain with an L drivetrain for the shorter gearing. A lot of freeways are 70-75 around here, 3400 rpm at 75 sucks!

Sorry to hear about the friend destroying your engine. How much crap beating had to happen for that? I've wanted to get my car into (slow) auto-x duty, but wanted to stay N/A, anyone think I should have longevity concerns if I do so?

Apparently, he raced all night & was showing off, hitting redline, holding it there as many times as he possibly could until the gaskets went. Before that, the engine was solid with not a hint of failure anytime soon. Any engine will fail under the hands of idiocy. Before I let him borrow it, this engine was just as much of a tank as it's original SOHC variation was. It would be a very fun little autocross engine.

DOHC, I'm seriously going to start gathering parts to do an EJ22D build, thank you for all the info and clear write up! Couple questions, did I understand correctly that the phase 2 ej22 had higher compression? Would that mean 96 or 97+? (So much easier to find this info about the ej25). My car is a 99OBW with a 5-speed, I've already done head gaskets, and I've got freaking bubbles in the recovery bottle again, although slow. Doesn't get hot or anything yet, but I'm not going to wait for cautostrophic failure. I'm thinking I won't use my heads, I'll get some junkyard ones to go through instead. Mine got shaved 5 thousandths on the last rebuild and they had 190k already on them.

Yes. The Phase 2 EJ22 has higher compression because of its thinner head gaskets & it's completely flat-topped pistons, as opposed to the Phase 1's dish types & their thicker gaskets. Phase 2 EJ22 is from 99-01. Phase 1 is 89-98.

I'm thinking phase 2 EJ22 block with 97-99 EJ25D heads. I don't care about power for now, I want reliability so the wife and I can take my car on our road trips and not wrack up the miles on her newish CRV. Other concern is mileage, the 35mpg highway you got is amazing! Best I've had is 29 on a long haul! Also going to swap my drivetrain with an L drivetrain for the shorter gearing. A lot of freeways are 70-75 around here, 3400 rpm at 75 sucks!

Phase 2 EJ22 block w/97-99 EJ25D heads was my first build ever & worked out to be a really fun engine. Pretty efficient on gas too (I don't remember how much, but I know that it took about a week to empty the tank).

If you're going to use a P2 EJ22 block, then you're going to have to use P2 EJ22 gaskets, no exceptions. The 35mpg highway didn't just come from the hybrid (that in itself would probably only net you about 30ish), it came from all of the other stuff, like the MSD coil, the low resistance ignition setup, the intake spacers, hybrid intake, headers, modified exhaust from the cat back, & driving it like I cared about it, never speeding & focusing on conserving.

If the L has a final gear ratio of 3.90, that would probably be the best, cheap alternative for mpg, & the hybrid makes power right where it would be useful for that transmission, so it would be pretty efficient at highway speeds, but your street TQ would be a little lacking compared to that of the original 22E. If you can live with that, then you will be just fine.

Thank you for all that info! I have the Grimmspeed spacers already, I'll make sure they make it to the new build too.

Couple new questions. So the P2 2.2 was built from 99-01, I'm guessing it was the Impreza after 99? Or were they still putting the 2.2 in the 3rd gen for a while? The P1 2.2 is much more plentiful, what is your opinion of one over the other? Either one "stronger" or a "better" choice?

I'll probably be grabbing a 2.5 and 2.2 from my local yard to put this thing together when I have time and funds. What I haven't been able to find a clear answer on is, is the 2.5's block or heads that make it so prone to gasket failure? From when I looked at it I thought it must be the blocks fault. But I've heard some say it's the heads. Do you have any info or opinion about that? When I grab a pair of these engines, if it were you, would you bother to put the 2.5 block together with the 2.2 heads to sit on a "just-in-case" engine? Or maybe to sell to someone for a sand rail?

I think I missed something in your thread, hybrid intake? I'll probably do the neon coil instead of the MSD, which will at least be better than stock. Exhaust will be done for the sake of my enjoyment and efficiency. Also I'll be putting the car on WRX strut assemblies to try and drop the CD a bit. The low end grunt loss is not a problem, the car has more stock than it needs anyway (my first gen even did with it's 2.2) and could use some midrange and top end. These days I drive like a grampa, unless I find a "fun" road...

I'm so sick of being afraid to look at my temp gauge, lol! I need to stop worrying so much. If I can sit in a drive thru for 15-20 minutes in 90 degree weather with the A/C on and the needle never moves, I'm probably fine for a while!

Maybe this is the place to ask- How easily would a Phase 2 '99- '01 EJ22(2) go into a '98 or earlier car (that had a EJ25D). I was curious about what EJ22's were around locally on Craig's List and came across two running '99 Impreza's for parts.

I still fantasize about doing an EJ22 swap into an Outback (I see an nice looking one for $850 on CL).

Maybe this is the place to ask- How easily would a Phase 2 '99- '01 EJ22(2) go into a '98 or earlier car (that had a EJ25D). I was curious about what EJ22's were around locally on Craig's List and came across two running '99 Impreza's for parts.

I still fantasize about doing an EJ22 swap into an Outback (I see an nice looking one for $850 on CL).

No Phase 2 EJ22 will plug successfully into any car before 98. The electronics between Phase 1 & Phase 2 are vastly different. You can only use the Phase 2 block but a Phase 1 crank gear must be used in order to run it.

Thank you for all that info! I have the Grimmspeed spacers already, I'll make sure they make it to the new build too.

Couple new questions. So the P2 2.2 was built from 99-01, I'm guessing it was the Impreza after 99? Or were they still putting the 2.2 in the 3rd gen for a while? The P1 2.2 is much more plentiful, what is your opinion of one over the other? Either one "stronger" or a "better" choice?

It was the "farewell" engine for the 99 2nd Gen Legacy L & was used in the Impreza from 99 to 01. All of them are equal when it comes to reliability but stronger & better? I'd have to say that the Phase 2 has a stronger block but the Phase 1 has stronger pistons.

I'll probably be grabbing a 2.5 and 2.2 from my local yard to put this thing together when I have time and funds. What I haven't been able to find a clear answer on is, is the 2.5's block or heads that make it so prone to gasket failure? From when I looked at it I thought it must be the blocks fault. But I've heard some say it's the heads. Do you have any info or opinion about that? When I grab a pair of these engines, if it were you, would you bother to put the 2.5 block together with the 2.2 heads to sit on a "just-in-case" engine? Or maybe to sell to someone for a sand rail?

It's the heads, gaskets, & the blocks all together, along with lack of maintenance, that does EJ25Ds in. It's just a poorly designed engine, which only has one purpose: Torque. A 2.2 head/2.5 block hybrid would be an excellent said rail engine, after the 2.2 heads have been ported & given a nice valve job. Even so, that engine will not last in hot climates as compression ratio will be too high.

I think I missed something in your thread, hybrid intake? I'll probably do the neon coil instead of the MSD, which will at least be better than stock. Exhaust will be done for the sake of my enjoyment and efficiency. Also I'll be putting the car on WRX strut assemblies to try and drop the CD a bit. The low end grunt loss is not a problem, the car has more stock than it needs anyway (my first gen even did with it's 2.2) and could use some midrange and top end. These days I drive like a grampa, unless I find a "fun" road...

Hybrid intake = Using the stock filter box & the aftermarket straight intake tube instead of the ridiculous torque box that most 2nd Gens have. The DOHC heads will give you the power you need where the EJ22E couldn't deliver.

.....Hybrid intake = Using the stock filter box & the aftermarket straight intake tube instead of the ridiculous torque box that most 2nd Gens have. The DOHC heads will give you the power you need where the EJ22E couldn't deliver.

An alternative is the intake from the 95-96 EJ series engines. Essentially they are a straight tube from the air filter to the TB. Attached is from a 96 EJ25d.

O

618306646_101_17681.thumb.jpg.a967b64f18a0f6673e49d9bba9d2496a.jpg

An alternative is the intake from the 95-96 EJ series engines. Essentially they are a straight tube from the air filter to the TB. Attached is from a 96 EJ25d.

O

I jut picked up a '96 intake tube from Ebay. Hopefully should fit right on. I was told it will help the enginebreathe a little better than the '97- 99 setup will

I jut picked up a '96 intake tube from Ebay. Hopefully should fit right on. I was told it will help the enginebreathe a little better than the '97- 99 setup will

Whoever told you that was right. It will. That ridiculous TQ box only impedes proper intake flow.

Whoever told you that was right. It will. That ridiculous TQ box only impedes proper intake flow.

It just arrived today. Looking forward to putting it on. I assume all of the vacuum lines will hook up the same way.

I haven't had a chance to put it on yet (Hopefully Friday eve or Saturday- was watching my son on the high school tennis team the past two nights). It seems like the gas mileage is slipping again- like to see if this increases the air flow.

You'll have to get creative with the valve cover breather tubes if you didn't get the ones to go with the older tube. Because of the torque box the 97-99 breather tubes are shorter. It can still be done with your stock parts though. I've done a few of them.

I still haven't gotten to this due to some needed brake work and a Corolla with broken cooling fan. The breather tube I received has one hose that leads to a T-fitting (no hoses attached to the T-fitting however),and one other 90 degree breather hose, so hopefully having them will help. I figure hooking up the 4 vacuum connections is probably going to be the hardest part.

Archived